By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo files hilarious Wii peripheral patents

Have you ever wanted to ride on a Wii-powered skateboard or relax in a Wii-powered rocking chair?  

Well, you might just get your chance.

The fine folks over at CVG have uncovered some strange Wii peripheral patents filed by the European Patent Office.

Some of the designs include, a Wiimote inside a teddy bear, an NES-styled zapper, a bicycle which houses a Wiimote in its pedals and a Wii rocking chair.

The coolest of all the filed applications was a pair of goggles that would fit a Wiimote inside. The goggles could have a wide variety of applications including head-tracking. Check out this example from Johnny Chung Lee and prepare to be wowed.

http://communities.canada.com/shareit/blogs/gamesnews/archive/2008/02/01/nintendo-files-hilarious-wii-peripheral-patents.aspx

Around the Network

EPIC. WIN.

I'm pretty sure this is to cover the Wii Remote from the always popular patent trolling.

wow, this is an awesome thread. who comes up with these things!?

(of course, i understand the reasoning behind them, but it's still utterly hilarious)

the Wii is an epidemic.

On the bike and skateboeard the Wiimote could track how far you have travelled and could be used in Wii Fit 2?? I dont think so but its fun to speculate about.

Attaching a wii remote to a skateboard sounds dangerous...

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network

Hilarious!! LOL

100% Coritiba Foot Ball Club!

Hey I like the NES style lightgun, I want it badly, I love lightgun games and it would be cheaper then the old set ups they used to want you to buy. Sorry but the Wii gun shell isn't doing it for me, I might buy the Nyko gun cause it works really well with Ghost Squad if you calibrate it.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

okay, question here... I thought the whole "sticking your Wii inside a doll", the patent is probablyalready filed by some adult sex-doll company. but we shall see.

"American Pie" probably holds the patent for Wii sticking inside any bakery. *shrugs*

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
fazz said:

EPIC. WIN.

I'm pretty sure this is to cover the Wii Remote from the always popular patent trolling.

Wii Snuggle confirmed?

DAMMIT! My TeWii Bear prototype was almost complete and it's all a waste it seems........