By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 6 player splitscreen for Mario Kart U: Nintendo would be stupid not to

Tagged games:

Metrium said:
Does the WiiU support 6controlers at once? I know for a fact they can do 5 (4controlers+1gamepad), I also know for a fact that it can theoricaly handle 2gamepads. But the question is, can a 2nd gamepad be added w/o the cost of ditching a other controler?

But I agree, 6players in a living room playing MK at once would be awsommme. But I seriously doubt theye will. Nintendo never seemed too interested in dual gamepad in the first place and only added the feature because of the high deman. And still they SAID that they added the feature a while back, we still have no proof of that (altho I doubt they would lie on such a aspect). I seriously doubt we will see anything using dual gamepad at this year's E3, I'd go as far as to say that I would'nt be surprised if ever.

to answer your actual question..

...wiimotes talk to the console via bluetooth. here is the fastest thing i can find to a source but the answer is 7.  7 devices can be supported at once depending on usage.   the gamepad doesn't use bluetooth but instead uses wifi meaning the theoritical limit is 9 devices. 

so the only thing in my mind preventing 6 user play is if the wiiU is not powerful enough to render 6 screens.  if that were the case nintendo could easily sacrifice graphics to improve performance.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I'd rather have a solid 30 fps + good graphical detail than 6 players.

I'd rather have 60fps + simple graphics.

That would be very demanding on the Wii U. I think 5 players is enough, unless Nintendo can make 6 player co op practical.

freebs2 said:
Soundwave said:

I'd rather have a solid 30 fps + good graphical detail than 6 players.

I'd rather have 60fps + simple graphics.

Yep, Mario Kart demands alla da frames.

A drop to 30fps for massive splitscreening would be acceptable.

Also, I agree with kitler's analysis of wireless signals. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

If it means no 60fps, then please no. If it means no 60fps only while the gamepads are in play, then I guess I'd be fine with that.

Around the Network

I honestly never got the complaints about MKWii's framerate. Usually a choppy framerate pisses me off, but I found its splitscreen fps very acceptable. I don't ever recall it seriously chugging, it was just a little less silky.

Yes that would be AWESOME! Make it happen Nintendo. If it means only 30fps i don't care. 5player local is pretty much guaranteed imo.

On MKWii i loved the 2-player split screen online, maybe the WiiU could handle 4p split screen online? Now that would be incredible.

30fps are acceptable IF they are hard-locked.

Metrium said:
Does the WiiU support 6controlers at once? I know for a fact they can do 5 (4controlers+1gamepad), I also know for a fact that it can theoricaly handle 2gamepads. But the question is, can a 2nd gamepad be added w/o the cost of ditching a other controler?

But I agree, 6players in a living room playing MK at once would be awsommme. But I seriously doubt theye will. Nintendo never seemed too interested in dual gamepad in the first place and only added the feature because of the high deman. And still they SAID that they added the feature a while back, we still have no proof of that (altho I doubt they would lie on such a aspect). I seriously doubt we will see anything using dual gamepad at this year's E3, I'd go as far as to say that I would'nt be surprised if ever.

we have proof  the Wiiu system update added 2 pad support. It already is in WiiUs firmware

Guovssohas said:
Yes that would be AWESOME! Make it happen Nintendo. If it means only 30fps i don't care. 5player local is pretty much guaranteed imo.

On MKWii i loved the 2-player split screen online, maybe the WiiU could handle 4p split screen online? Now that would be incredible.

Will happen  even Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed allows for all 5 players to go online.  I invited 4 friends and another friend of mine invited 4 friends and we had a 10 player match on 2 WiiU's  that shit was awesome.

Einsam_Delphin said:
If it means no 60fps, then please no. If it means no 60fps only while the gamepads are in play, then I guess I'd be fine with that.

Nintendo targets 60 FPS for every game with a max of 5 players  they also said that adding a second gamepad will most def reduce the framerate to 30FPS.

So dont worry  I mean I prefer 6 player 30fps coop over no 6 player coop and if I want 60 I just invite 4 fiends  so no probs.

5 players is good enough for me

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(