By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Article reasoning that what ended World War II was not the atom bomb

Sorry for derailing the thread onto the USSR vs USA. I enjoy talking anything about WW2 and tend to go anywhere in regards to WW2. I did make the WW2 thread on VGC so my interest in WW2 and the aftermath is very high. Sometimes I can't contain myself. I will with sleep.

Around the Network
tiffac said:
If I remember correctly the Pro-War group in Japan was going to do a coup de tat, if the Pro-Dialogue group persuaded the Emperor to surrender which I believe was going to be the decision but when the Nukes were dropped that ended that plot and Japan finally surrendered. Sorry, my history is kind of bad.

What were the japanese trying to accomplish during the war anyways? I thought that they were just supporting Hitler because they were scared that he might eventually try to go after japan if they were able to beat Russia. 

Yea that whole continent would be Germania right now if Russia was defeated.

I heard that Nazi Germany were like an inch away from completing a Nuclear bomb. Its crazy how Hitler was able to do so much to the world in that little country

enditall727 said:
tiffac said:
If I remember correctly the Pro-War group in Japan was going to do a coup de tat, if the Pro-Dialogue group persuaded the Emperor to surrender which I believe was going to be the decision but when the Nukes were dropped that ended that plot and Japan finally surrendered. Sorry, my history is kind of bad.

What were the japanese trying to accomplish during the war anyways? I thought that they were just supporting Hitler because they were scared that he might eventually try to go after japan if they were able to beat Russia. 

They wanted the have their own colonies like the western countries have and also they're sudden industrailisation put a strain on their limited resources. So they invaded China which led to the embargo by the US.

I'm not sure if Japan feared Hitler because at that time both nations felt they were being bullied by the other nations. Germany being defeated and shamed during WWI and Japan not being allowed to have their own colonies. So an alliance was like a no brainer and going to war was like the main point of the alliance.

sethnintendo said:
Sorry for derailing the thread onto the USSR vs USA. I enjoy talking anything about WW2 and tend to go anywhere in regards to WW2. I did make the WW2 thread on VGC so my interest in WW2 and the aftermath is very high. Sometimes I can't contain myself. I will with sleep.

And managed to stumble upon on every WW2 myth imaginable, that's being practically the reason why I never participated in your WW2 thread you gave me link to. But if you want to talk about WW2 -- create another one, I'll participate after all -- but you need to provide some well-defined theses.

P.S.: And no wikipedia please.

Around the Network
mai said:
sethnintendo said:

And managed to stumble upon on every WW2 myth imaginable, that's being practically the reason why I never participated in your WW2 thread you gave me link to. But if you want to talk about WW2 -- create another one, I'll participate after all -- but you need to provide some well-defined theses.

P.S.: And no wikipedia please.

Like what myths?

And are you challenging Seth's WW2 knowledge? Lol

enditall727 said:

"Challenging" is not a word, I'll destroy him :D

Seriously though I do not want to be it like chit-chat, for that I have Kazs alerady.

mai said:
enditall727 said:

"Challenging" is not a word, I'll destroy him :D

Seriously though I do not want to be it like chit-chat, for that I have Kazs alerady.

Well let me ask you this. After WW2, if the USSR and USA decided to go to war, who do you believe would have been victorious in the end?

why exactly did they need to hit defenseless citizens? why couldnt they just nail army bases, it would of had the same effect. Thats one of the things i hated about the bombing decision of the US then

enditall727 said:
tiffac said:

Japan's inital goal was to take advantage of the War On Europe in order to win the Second Sino-Japanese War by using European colonies to surround China. The Alliance with germany and Russia was largely to avoid any additional fronts and to gain French Indochina. 

It wasn't until after the US placed oil-embargo's that the Japanese turned there attention on taking over the Pacific, which was also done in order to access to various oil fields / raw materials to conquer China.