By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Article reasoning that what ended World War II was not the atom bomb

enditall727 said:
mai said:
enditall727 said:

And are you challenging Seth's WW2 knowledge? Lol

"Challenging" is not a word, I'll destroy him :D

Seriously though I do not want to be it like chit-chat, for that I have Kazs alerady.

Well let me ask you this. After WW2, if the USSR and USA decided to go to war, who do you believe would have been victorious in the end?

"After WW2" is rather long, define exact timeframe.

Around the Network

You forgot about Natzi/German allay? On april 30 Hitler committed suicide and the war was over (for Europe of course).

So since may 1945 it was Japan vs the world?

We never should have dropped "the bomb". There was zero good reasons/excuses for it....it was one of the single most evil acts in human history, perpetrated by the "Greatest Country on Earth" (one of many). And Japan had pretty much already surrendered. It was not some "brave last minute effort" to end the war. It was a coward's move. The Japanese military was literally already utterly defeated. As in gone, no one left. They posed ZERO threat to anybody at that junction. As someone else pointed out, 80% of their cities had already been destroyed by firebombs, etc. The people were out of homes, out of money, out of food, out of everything. They were already suffering greatly. And the worst part of all, is that we did not become the only nation in human history to actually USE nuclear weapons on another to attack a MILITARY target. No....we just just dropped bombs killing thousands of innocent civilians, men, women and little children (not to mention animal life, etc.). And those that didn't die immediately from the blasts, would later suffer greatly, some for generations to come.

It was inexcusable, and it makes me sick to hear anyone try and come up with shallow fucking defenses for such a despicable act. Honestly, it belongs in the Top 5, if not Number One, in "History's Complete Bitch Moves" list.

Xenobot said:

You forgot about Natzi/German allay? On april 30 Hitler committed suicide and the war was over (for Europe of course).

So since may 1945 it was Japan vs the world?

No just Japan against America by then. But the USSR declared war on Japan in August 1945, just as Hiroshima happened

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

So. America + USSR vs. Japan ?
Like 2 lions vs wolf.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:

We never should have dropped "the bomb". There was zero good reasons/excuses for it....it was one of the single most evil acts in human history, perpetrated by the "Greatest Country on Earth" (one of many). And Japan had pretty much already surrendered. It was not some "brave last minute effort" to end the war. It was a coward's move. The Japanese military was literally already utterly defeated. As in gone, no one left. They posed ZERO threat to anybody at that junction. As someone else pointed out, 80% of their cities had already been destroyed by firebombs, etc. The people were out of homes, out of money, out of food, out of everything. They were already suffering greatly. And the worst part of all, is that we did not become the only nation in human history to actually USE nuclear weapons on another to attack a MILITARY target. No....we just just dropped bombs killing thousands of innocent civilians, men, women and little children (not to mention animal life, etc.). And those that didn't die immediately from the blasts, would later suffer greatly, some for generations to come.

It was inexcusable, and it makes me sick to hear anyone try and come up with shallow fucking defenses for such a despicable act. Honestly, it belongs in the Top 5, if not Number One, in "History's Complete Bitch Moves" list.

You can argue it was bad, but number one? Worse than the nazis burning the jews? Worse than the Japanese raping and killing everyone in China during WW2? Japan did far worse things than the USA during that war alone.

mai said:
sethnintendo said:
Sorry for derailing the thread onto the USSR vs USA. I enjoy talking anything about WW2 and tend to go anywhere in regards to WW2. I did make the WW2 thread on VGC so my interest in WW2 and the aftermath is very high. Sometimes I can't contain myself. I will with sleep.

And managed to stumble upon on every WW2 myth imaginable, that's being practically the reason why I never participated in your WW2 thread you gave me link to. But if you want to talk about WW2 -- create another one, I'll participate after all -- but you need to provide some well-defined theses.

P.S.: And no wikipedia please.

I'm just curious what myths you are talking about?  I might have made a few assumptions in my USSR vs USA posts in this thread and my WW2 thread but I don't think they were completely out of line with actual events.  What WW2 information do you think I am wrong in stating/believing?

mai said:
enditall727 said:
mai said:
enditall727 said:

And are you challenging Seth's WW2 knowledge? Lol

"Challenging" is not a word, I'll destroy him :D

Seriously though I do not want to be it like chit-chat, for that I have Kazs alerady.

Well let me ask you this. After WW2, if the USSR and USA decided to go to war, who do you believe would have been victorious in the end?

"After WW2" is rather long, define exact timeframe.

Cold war or at the height of their dominance after WW2 when tensions were highest

Kasz216 said:

2) Scale, ignores the main fear of nuclear weapons, even before they got big. Which is that it literally only takes one bomb. There is no real defense or chance of inflicting casualties. 

Sure the Nuclear bombs weren't near the worst bombings to occur in the war, they however were the most "unfair."

At this point instead of trying to cause deaths here and there and negotiate for a better peace it just becomes something a lot more hopeless... even in the terms of just trying to lose but eek out something of value.

Russia was no doubt a major fear and played a big part in it... but Nuclear weapons in the end seems like what forced their hand.

Why would it matter that it was nuclear bombs instead of conventional weapons when 86 other cities were successfully attacked in levels equivalent to nuclear bombs in destruction and civilian casualties? Obviously the Japanese were unable to stop the destruciton of cities at this point by the US air power. 

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

Ckmlb1 said:
Kasz216 said:

2) Scale, ignores the main fear of nuclear weapons, even before they got big. Which is that it literally only takes one bomb. There is no real defense or chance of inflicting casualties. 

Sure the Nuclear bombs weren't near the worst bombings to occur in the war, they however were the most "unfair."

At this point instead of trying to cause deaths here and there and negotiate for a better peace it just becomes something a lot more hopeless... even in the terms of just trying to lose but eek out something of value.

Russia was no doubt a major fear and played a big part in it... but Nuclear weapons in the end seems like what forced their hand.

Why would it matter that it was nuclear bombs instead of conventional weapons when 86 other cities were successfully attacked in levels equivalent to nuclear bombs in destruction and civilian casualties? Obviously the Japanese were unable to stop the destruciton of cities at this point by the US air power. 

My favorite weapon that wasn't used during WW2...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb

"A reasonable number of destructive fires can be started in spite of the extremely small size of the units. The main advantage of the units would seem to be their placement within the enemy structures without the knowledge of the householder or fire watchers, thus allowing the fire to establish itself before being discovered." The National Defense Research Committee (NDRC) observer stated: “It was concluded that X-Ray is an effective weapon.” The Chief Chemist’s report stated that on a weight basis X-Ray was more effective than the standard incendiary bombs in use at the time. “Expressed in another way, the regular bombs would give probably 167 to 400 fires per bomb load where X-Ray would give 3,625 to 4,748 fires"