By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How to tell if Microsoft messed up

Yeah they messed up... Fact! But it appears some don't yet know it yet. So I am going to help you. I will tell you and explain how you know Microsoft messed up. And here we go

First, you know you messed up when no one defends you. Now you might be reading that and saying to yourself "there are people who are defending Microsoft". But they aren't really. Look at theses topics below.

1. The name... Xbox One. Horrible name. It's just poop. There was already an Xbox One (called Xbox) and then an Xbox 360... Now an Xbox One again. You know they messed up when even the people who are going to buy the console don't defend the name. They may not hate it, but they don't love it or really like it either. Yeah Microsoft messed up here.

2. Always online/DRM. Boy there is a butt ton of backlash here. Lots of hate about it. But you know they messed up when no one defends it. Sure there are some comments like "I don't buy used games or sell my games anyway" or "I never let my friends borrow my games anyway". But you don't hear anything on the consumer side that says it's good or they like it. When your fanboys can't find 1 good thing to spin and say about it, you know you messed up

3. Kinect requirement. I bet no one who owned the Kinect 1 ever said "Wow I love the Kinect. I just wish it was required to be ON all the time for my console to work". When you give and require your customer something they didn't want or ask for in the first place... you messed up. When your fanboys can only muster "So what just turn it around or cover it with a blanket or towel" as the best defense to a requirement to use your console... you messed up

4. The reveal. I know some of you will be quick to point out that Microsoft said it wasn't going to focus on gaming until E3. Ok, when you have a reveal for your next GAMING CONSOLE, and you don't focus on gaming... you messed up. Pretty sure Microsoft made fun of Sony for not showing the PS4. The only thing Microsoft did right on May21st was show the console. And many a xbot wished they had handled it like Sony did. 

Yeah Microsoft messed up. 

Around the Network

Kinect requirements would be my biggest gripe since they are apparently working with used games.

If that things breaks, do I have to buy a new one? would i have to wait for the warranty repair, etc? That's just annoying as fuck. Also, call me a conspiracy theorist but I don't like the idea of that thing being on the entire time. It is genuinely creepy.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Uh... there are plenty of people "defending" it though. None of these issues you laid out are issues for everyone.

1. DGAF about the name of any console. Did they "mess up" here? Who knows. What, is someone gonna buy an original Xbox by mistake? No. The name is fine to me, doesn't make a difference. If I wanted cool original names then all 3 next gen consoles suck.

2. Not a fan of the used game DRM but LOL @ no one defending it. There are PLENTY of people who never buy used games and see this as a completely necessary and good thing for the industry. Always-online is no big deal to me. My Internet has been down once in over 6 years living in my house.

3. Kinect makes no difference to me when it comes to games. It will be an awesome live TV feature. It being mandatory is irrelevant. If there are cool games on it, I'll use it for those. If not, it just sits there. You're reaching if this is one of your main complaints imho.

4. You're also reaching when you admit that you know exactly what MS said leading up to the reveal but disregard it anyway. They said games will be the focus at E3, now is the console and the next gen features. And they showed that. You can be disappointed or disagree with the reveal, I think it was fine.

MS messed up for you. They didn't mess up for everyone.

Another Sony fan coming online and claiming his opinion as fact? Well, if I had a nickel for every time...

Seriously, I think I'd be the one challenging Bill Gates for the richest man on the planet not Carlos Slim.

J_Allard said:
Uh... there are plenty of people "defending" it though. None of these issues you laid out are issues for everyone.

1. DGAF about the name of any console. Did they "mess up" here? Who knows. What, is someone gonna buy an original Xbox by mistake? No. The name is fine to me, doesn't make a difference. If I wanted cool original names then all 3 next gen consoles suck.

2. Not a fan of the used game DRM but LOL @ no one defending it. There are PLENTY of people who never buy used games and see this as a completely necessary and good thing for the industry. Always-online is no big deal to me. My Internet has been down once in over 6 years living in my house.

3. Kinect makes no difference to me when it comes to games. It will be an awesome live TV feature. It being mandatory is irrelevant. If there are cool games on it, I'll use it for those. If not, it just sits there. You're reaching if this is one of your main complaints imho.

4. You're also reaching when you admit that you know exactly what MS said leading up to the reveal but disregard it anyway. They said games will be the focus at E3, now is the console and the next gen features. And they showed that. You can be disappointed or disagree with the reveal, I think it was fine.

So it doesn't matter whether or not any of the points are done? So nothing positive...only nothing negative for you?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

J_Allard said:

Yeah but your post is exactly the point I am bringing up. You say plenty of people are defending it and yet your defense of these topics consist of "It's fine to me" "No big deal to me" "makes no difference to me" and again "I think it was fine". Overall the tone of the defense is Ah who gives a shit. Very neutral and Dr. Pepperish

I guess I am trying to say that the defense of these things isn't being fought with positive counter attacks but rather a simply "So What"!!!

People need to stop crying and act like their tastes are the only tastes acceptable.

1 - The name of the console may be bad to you so what? Some just don't care much about the names... people ridiculously made fun of the Wii bak in 2006 but it didn't stop it from selling gangbuster. You guys just want to trash MS for things as little as this...

2 - I'm not a huge fan of always online DRM... at all! But my computer is always online, so is my laptop, my cellphone and my Xbox... all of them are always connected... what's the difference here?

You all know why they want the DRMs, even if it doesn't suit you... One way or another it ws coming anyway...

3 - Kinect... boohoo I'm a hardocre gamer on forums and I don't want a Kinect so MS should listen to me and prevents all of those 20+M who like Kinect for sports, dancing, fitness, kids gaming and casuals to enjoy what they like... sorry but I like to play Kinect games with my nieces ans I am glad MS integrated it from scratch in X1

4 - The reveal was boring yea... but they showed what the console looked like and what it could do as an entertainment machine. Yes at first I thought it was geared towards gamers only but then I realised they would do a second part about gaming at E3... I'm waiting for E3 then...

You guys need to stop it.

Jazz2K said:
People need to stop crying and act like their tastes are the only tastes acceptable.

1 - The name of the console may be bad to you so what? Some just don't care much about the names... people ridiculously made fun of the Wii bak in 2006 but it didn't stop it from selling gangbuster. You guys just want to trash MS for things as little as this...

2 - I'm not a huge fan of always online DRM... at all! But my computer is always online, so is my laptop, my cellphone and my Xbox... all of them are always connected... what's the difference here?

You all know why they want the DRMs, even if it doesn't suit you... One way or another it ws coming anyway...

3 - Kinect... boohoo I'm a hardocre gamer on forums and I don't want a Kinect so MS should listen to me and prevents all of those 20+M who like Kinect for sports, dancing, fitness, kids gaming and casuals to enjoy what they like... sorry but I like to play Kinect games with my nieces ans I am glad MS integrated it from scratch in X1

4 - The reveal was boring yea... but they showed what the console looked like and what it could do as an entertainment machine. Yes at first I thought it was geared towards gamers only but then I realised they would do a second part about gaming at E3... I'm waiting for E3 then...

You guys need to stop it.

Again another post that proves the point.

You can't tell me the name is good, just that it doesn't matter

You can't tell me why a internet connection once every 24 hour requirement is good, just that it isn't a big deal

You can't tell me why the Kinect requirement is good, just that it isn't a big deal. (also it doesn't matter how many Kinects were should 20 million or 50 million. But you can't tell me why the requirement is good. But people can tell you why it's bad)

You can't tell me that the reveal was good, just to wait for E3 (And weeks ago it was wait till the 21st of May. Be ready to eat crow. And no crow was had. Now it's E3 this and that)

Some may think I am being a fanboy and making fun of the Xbox One and the reveal. That's not whats going on here. I am simply saying Microsoft kind of fucked up because they or their supporters can't defend these things in a positive way, only in a very neutral no big deal way

1. Name of the console is irrelevant, but calling it the "One" as in the one device you need is stupid because you still need many devices to use all of its features, remember the cable box still has to be connected to the Xbox through HDMI.

2. DRM is unacceptable and there is no defending an anti used game policy . Older games go out of production and without the used option there is often no way of acquiring a physical copy of it.

3. The requirement of Kinect is bullshit, and I worry what they will exactly use it for...

4. Pathetic showing of games reiterated microsofts attitude to gaming in the last few years.

ironmanDX said:
Another Sony fan coming online and claiming his opinion as fact? Well, if I had a nickel for every time...

Seriously, I think I'd be the one challenging Bill Gates for the richest man on the planet not Carlos Slim.

Seriously

Nothing better to do I guess. I like how he starts his list of facts why MS failed with the name too. X1 sucks yo! Fact