By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Geoff Keighley: Sources Say Sony Will Include PS4 Used Game DRM

UnitSmiley said:

Ah gotcha, well hopefully he's right on this one. Gonna just have to wait and see.

Sounds like he's hearing this from people he knows at Sony, so yeah, here's hoping. It is a good sign, but it could just mean that Sony is nixing the idea of its own centralized DRM scheme and will still allow publishers to block used games.

It seems unlikely to me that Xbone would do what it's doing and PS4 would be completely DRM free. Would be awesome if it wound up that way, though, so the industry could finally understand that blocking used games does not increase sales of new games.

Around the Network

And here we go. (again)

inb4 "I don't play used games it doesn't bother me." Sheep all of you.

this post was moderated by axumblade

Good guy Nintendo.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Taken from the Neogaf thread:

"I do want to warn that these decisions do flipflop (as evidenced by what i posted earlier this week vs now). I'm not 100% on this. The people I know aren't 100% on this. Some suit can come in and fuck the entire thing up. So I wouldn't go running around screaming "HAHA SONY ISN'T DOING IT!" I just wanted people to know that as of now Sony has flipped their position in response to the shitstorm microsoft got hit with."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567973

Around the Network
Wagram said:
It's very possible they will. I don't mind being forced to uninstall my copy, or deactivate it from my system or what-ever when i'm done with it. However if i'm forced to pay a fucking fee, then there's a problem.

Now i'm not going to speculate what they'll do until they say so, but i'll be keeping my eyes open.

If consoles do go this "fee" route, then I can't wait for them to be hacked, and they definitely will be quite quickly.

Pfft! Ill be damned!

They better not uninstall ANY OF MY GOD DAMNED GAMES THAT I BOUGHT WITH MY OWN MONEY!!

..The fuck do they think they are!?

See that's the sh!t that i'm talking about. These bitch ass companies are asking for too damn much. 

Wagram said:

"I do want to warn that these decisions do flipflop (as evidenced by what i posted earlier this week vs now). I'm not 100% on this. The people I know aren't 100% on this. Some suit can come in and fuck the entire thing up. So I wouldn't go running around screaming "HAHA SONY ISN'T DOING IT!" I just wanted people to know that as of now Sony has flipped their position in response to the shitstorm microsoft got hit with."

They were never going to do that online check thing so this guy must just be talking about some type of used game thing, right? If so, then Sony already said that it will be up to devs(EA mainly).

If true

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Wagram said:

Interesting. Sony is definitely in bad position, if 3rd parties are demanding this DRM stuff then Sony has no other option but to meet their demands, but at the same time they don't want to piss their customers. I think Sony is simple going to play the waiting game, and see how the Xbone develops.

I do wonder though. If Sony does indeed had plans to implement some sort of DRM on the PS4, wouldn't it be too late to back down? I mean the system is probably made to had this specifications and at this point in time in would be risky to just change it. They could do it of course, but I wonder if that's going to delay the console's launch by a lot.

Nintendo and PC gamer

I hate it when Sony copies again..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)