By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - [UPDATE] German government doesn't like the XBONE

Paranoia from government is disturbing

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Only they can film us, that's probably why government don't like it 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
sales2099 said:

Only they can film us 

except it can be turned off.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
the2real4mafol said:
sales2099 said:

Only they can film us 

except it can be turned off.

Not when the console is on. Nowhere have they confirmed that yet.

thranx said:
Nem said:

What?! What does google have to do with spying in your living room?

You best not make garantees. The Xbox one, if not illegal will receive alot of bad press from consumer defense associations.

Android phones, as well as iphones(probably windows phone too), keep track of gps info and basically anyting you do on your phone and where. I know apple had an issue where the file was kept in a plain text file. Basically anyting done on search engines, on facebook, on any free site that you register is tracked and recored and sold for advertisement info.

I doubt they have the camera (on the phone) working inside your house even when the thing is off. GPS is actually quite useful. If they are recording conversations though, that is against the law in my country of origin at least. Only the police can do that and they need an authorisation from the judge.

Mantaining a log of your activities is normal though. Things like wich numbers you called and wich items you bought or browsed on the shop. The log is necessary for the detailed bill and browse history is something that has been used for ages on websites like say amazon for example.

This is nowhere near the intrusion microsoft is trying to make with the Xbone.

Also for those that say microsoft wouldnt make a console that would be deemed illegal, i lol. Microsoft has in several times ignored rulings of european courts on the charges of monopoly practices. They have been heavily fined and i dont know if they ended up doing what they were told. If not im sure they will be fined again.

They will launch this and if deemed illegal they will still keep selling it and take the fines if they deem it worth it versus spying on those that bought it. Its a disgusting practice.

We in europe take abuses to our rights very seriously.

Around the Network

For such an advanced country, I'm surprised they are so paranoid about technology. Particular entertaining device like this.

chris0409 said:
How can these information be processed to an external server? The One doesn't even need a permenant internet connection?

We have cellphones, laptops, webcams and so on. These devices also have the potential to spy on us. I know it's Schaar's job to complain about this, he has done a terrific job doing so in the past, but why should the new Kinect be any different than the old one or any other devices?

Its been advised to turn webcams off when your not using them because they can be hacked to monitor you. Thats the problem, you cant turn off the kinect camera without turning off the Xbox1, which in turn means it wont be the all in one media hub they want it to be

source of webcam hacking: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/03/rat-breeders-meet-the-men-who-spy-on-women-through-their-webcams/.

Bradford City Fan for life

Recent favourite games: Ni No Kuni, Fifa 13, Batman Arkham City

Best games of all time: Pokemon Red, Dragon Warrior 3, The last of us, Uncharted 2 and 3

3ds friend code add me: 1950-8131-6814

PSN ID: Mr_Vezzo_Khanny - add to start a clan in the last of us mutiplayer

It will get released in Germany but will probably be delayed.

I expected this. Stuff like some of the XONE's features are a sore subject in Europe. The EU's extremely strict on privacy issues and consumer protection. Microsoft's probably going to need to change some stuff or be ready to get fined (big time, again).

It's going to be far worse with Google Glass though, I don't think that thing will ever come to the market here. I just won't be allowed. And rightfully so in GG's case I might add.

Actually if it can be turned off, who cares! Now everyone is just overacting a little.