By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Retail sources detail how pre-owned sales will work on Xbox One

non-gravity said:
NiKKoM said:
So they are cutting out the little ebay and private sellers making the pre-owned sales an intergrated part of the business.. thats.. pretty genius..

I bought half my games and sold 2/3 of my games through marktplaats...

Same here, good value for your games.

So this is coming to an end, i wonder if this will boost the older systems prices. Still got some rare psx rpg's to sell ;p

Around the Network

interesting, but i don't like it.

sales2099 said:
I like it. Makes sense and used game sales benefit the industry, not just the retailer.

Of course you like its sales lol have you ever not liked anything M$ has done?

nightsurge said:
theprof00 said:
And ms forces its own proprietary azure system on all gamestops.
Sony, please take advantage of this.
The opportunity is so very ripe.

What's wrong with that? Azure is an amazing cloud computing system. The strongest of it's kind in the entire world.

If anything the places like GameStop/Amazon/Blockbuster will be more supportive of MS now since they will gain more sales. People will HAVE to trade them in/sell them at those retailers instead of selling them personally so they will get a lot more business which will more than make up for the added publisher/MS cut of used sales.

I think this is freaking brilliant if true. It is likely to not upset many people because they can still sell their games at stores, and it will make a stronger relationship between MS and those retailers.

People will HAVE to trade them in/sell them at those retailers instead of selling them personally so gamers simply won't buy the system or it's games wich means retailers will have almost no profit from xone's sales or it's games.

dharh said:
think-man said:

M$ are so greedy man.....They already make a killing! I can understand the publishers taking a cut but why does M$ need to take another cut?

I agree this system sucks but... The cost of running and maintaining this database and distribution system is obviously going to be offset by the money that MS will make through this. Obviously they will make a profit but not pure profit as they must still make this system work and that will cost them money.

The thing still sucks though. Ugh. My only hope is that at some point 10+ years from now they can shut this system down and people with those legacy XB1s would be able to play any game they pick up.

That would be nice, maybe Ill wait 10 years to pick one up lol

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
nightsurge said:
theprof00 said:

What's wrong with that? Azure is an amazing cloud computing system. The strongest of it's kind in the entire world.

If anything the places like GameStop/Amazon/Blockbuster will be more supportive of MS now since they will gain more sales. People will HAVE to trade them in/sell them at those retailers instead of selling them personally so they will get a lot more business which will more than make up for the added publisher/MS cut of used sales.

I think this is freaking brilliant if true. It is likely to not upset many people because they can still sell their games at stores, and it will make a stronger relationship between MS and those retailers.

People will HAVE to trade them in/sell them at those retailers instead of selling them personally so gamers simply won't buy the system or it's games wich means retailers will have almost no profit from xone's sales or it's games.

Nah, gamers aren't as fickle and bitchy as the internet makes them seem. They will trade/sell their games still, using this new plan, with only minor complaint if any.

You really only get an extra $5 maybe if you decide to do the effort of selling a used game privately via eBay/Amazon instead of trading it in. That has been my experience this entire generation. I can get $30 trade in credit for a newer game, $25 minimum. If I sell it for $40 on Amazon or eBay I then have to pay $5 shipping, and the fees from those places which leaves me again very close to $30.

Really the only way you make more money on used game sales is if you do it on craigslist or something locally and not online.

So if this new setup still allows gamers to sell/trade their games, there is really now downside for gamers. You may have to go to the store to sell it instead of doing it on eBay/Amazon. Whoop-di-doo. The only potential downsides to this are the smaller used games shops out there. But really those have all been driven out of business by the bigger chains of Amazon, Walmart, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.

nightsurge said:
Zero999 said:
nightsurge said:
theprof00 said:

Nah, gamers aren't as fickle and bitchy as the internet makes them seem. They will trade/sell their games still, using this new plan, with only minor complaint if any.

You really only get an extra $5 maybe if you decide to do the effort of selling a used game privately via eBay/Amazon instead of trading it in. That has been my experience this entire generation. I can get $30 trade in credit for a newer game, $25 minimum. If I sell it for $40 on Amazon or eBay I then have to pay $5 shipping, and the fees from those places which leaves me again very close to $30.

Really the only way you make more money on used game sales is if you do it on craigslist or something locally and not online.

So if this new setup still allows gamers to sell/trade their games, there is really now downside for gamers. You may have to go to the store to sell it instead of doing it on eBay/Amazon. Whoop-di-doo. The only potential downsides to this are the smaller used games shops out there. But really those have all been driven out of business by the bigger chains of Amazon, Walmart, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.

I've never traded a game at a shop, always sold them online but what happens if it is only store credit they are talking about.

nightsurge said:
mtu9356 said:
nightsurge said:
theprof00 said:

Why would any gamer want this?  They basically are tellin u who u can sell old games to and for what price.  They are removing the open market that exists on eBay and other online retailers and inserting themselves as a middleman.  This is anti consumer how do people ignore that?

It is far better than the alternative of not being able to sell games at all. Like on PC. Yet you dont hear people on PC bitching and complaining about the littlest things. Console gamers have been so spoiled and haven't realized how great they had it. They are just now catching up with what PC gamers have dealt with for quite a while now.

I'm not saying it is good, but it is better than nothing. In fact, on PC, the games prices are lower, they have sales much more often to get games at much lower prices, so in the end the PC spectrum has done away with the need for selling used games because you can still afford the same amount of new ones. PC gamers gave up the "take the game to my friends house to play it" a long time ago unless they wanted to install steam, download the game, etc (Which by the way, you can always copy your Xbox Live gamertag to someone else's console and they would then have access to your games that way).

Perhaps console games will get price reductions and better sales should the used market start to go this way or eventually disappear altogether.

The problem is I have no faith in Sony, Microsoft or any retailer when it comes to pricing older games.  They have done a terrible job this entire gen.  For example a PSN game (Siren Blood Curse) that I've wanted is still at its original 40$ price from 2008.  Go to a retail store and look at some sports game, Fifa 2013 was released last September but still retails for 59.99$ (Bestbuy).

Man, after reading through the comments. The consumers are certainly caught between a rock and a hard place.

On the other side, you want developers to make more money, so they do not suffer a closure but then at what cost will it be for the consumers? This entire scenario just blows.

If this doesn't work there will be a something else for publishers to try to get a better ROI and will be very easy to implement: Publishers will sell a digital download code in a store (great as christmas gift) and online for 60 dollars and the actual physical disc based releases will be around 80~90 dollars.. That would be the next step and we couldn't stop it.. Its actually a better way to kill pre-owned..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)