By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony cuts PlayStation 3 shipment target to 9.5M by March

It's scary how some people (ones that seem to be the PS3 haters) are now thinking that VG Charts is over-tracked... Imbeciles :P

Around the Network
cool8man said:

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsume...V00298220080131

Sony cuts 07/08 PlayStation 3 sales target to 9.5 mln

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:16am EST

TOKYO, Jan 31 (Reuters) - Japan's Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) on Thursday said it had cut its PlayStation 3 sales target for the year to March to 9.5 million units from 11 million. Sony saw a slow start to the videogame consoles' sales after its launch in late 2006 due to its high price and scarcity of strong software titles.

On the other hand, Sony said it was raising its PlayStation Portable sales target for the current business year to 13 million units from 10 million.

Sony sold 4.9 million units of the PS3 in October-December. During the same period, rival Nintendo Co Ltd (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) sold about 7 million units of the Wii. (Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka)

© Reuters 2008 All rights reserved

VGchartz data must be off if Sony isn't expecting to ship 9.5M consoles until the end of March.

Is this the best first post ever? ROFL

PS: Welcome to VGC cool8man 

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

@Chrizum, actually I think their stockholders are ok right now. No one expected Sony to report a net profit in the gaming division so early. But, it seems they did in Q3 and I would be will again in Q4. Maybe not for the whole year, but, they will be focusing on an obvious upward trend.

well not its greatly possible that they could actually pass that number. And yes I did jsut say pass it. If they can get MGS4 out before the end of the quarter they will beat it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Sony has shipped 10.5M consoles to date, according to gametrailers and sony themselves.

On topic: The only way sony can make that number is introduce a new sku and overstock retailers to the point were they cant sell a single ps3. This would make them pass 9.5M. No new sku I doubt they will make it in time anyway.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network

Consider that 1.9 of those 9.5 million units was magically redefined as part of this formula. So their real number is 7.6 million + the 5.5 million they claimed. More accurately, you could add this 9.5 million to the 3.6 million units they actually shipped in FY07.

This would put them at 13.1 million units shipped total in FY07 and FY08 combined. Due to their accounting chicanery, a lot of (stupid) reporters are going to add 5.5 million and 9.5 million to come up with 15 million instead of 13.1 million. VGChartz will most likely show that they don't even come close to selling those 13.1 million they will have shipped.

There is gonna be a lot of overstock, even with Sony reducing their shipment numbers twice now. 

superchunk said:
Man some of you really need to up your reading comprehension. Try walking around killing the easy enemies for a couple of hours. That should help you level up.

I co-sign. The grammar police would have a field day up in here!

Yeah, drop the controller, son!