By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one who doesn't understand people saying the PS4 reveal was amazing compared to Xbox One?

Because pretty much everything Sony showed was gamer centric, which is the audience that was watching them. They showed actual gameplay footage (revolutionary or not), elaborated on detailed console specs, brought devs on stage to let them talk about the games, showed console features that would be interesting to gamers like sharing and Gaikai cloud for gaming and gave some information about their new network. They also showed for a quick minute that they'll have all the netflix/hulu/music as we have come to expect without turning that into the focus of their entire conference. Their message was that gaming is the focus, but other forms of entertainments will be there also, as is the case with modern consoles. Even Nintendo, who also focused quite a bit on TVii didn't turn that into their entire conference.

Compare that, no matter how bad or not innovative you may call it, to the MS conference, which had no gameplay footage whatsoever and no wonder gamers call Sony's conference better than MS. I can appreciate them focusing on entertainment, but not even showing ONE 2 minute live gameplay demo on stage was just appalling. Instead we had dudes shouting random voice commands and waving hands watching sports for half an hour. Why couldn't they cut a few measly minutes out of all of that to show a live demo of the new Forza game which would have given us a little taste of what the Xbone can do graphically to get our appetites wet for the big E3 show? Throw us at least a single gameplay bone to get us hyped. A screen saying 15 exclusives titles, which could be Kinect shovelware or XBLA titles (as has been the case in past few E3s) is not very appetizing.

Around the Network

Because Square Enix.

I doubt any of those 15 games would be XBLA arcade titles MS never revealed a XBLA title at a major press conference/media event.

Microsoft

Pros:

1. Showed the console! This is huge from a marketing stand point. Retailers can show it, MS can flaunt it, and gamers can know what's going in their entertainment center

2. Media. It's 2013 and we don't just use our consoles for games anymore. In fact 60 percent of all Xbox Live time is spent doing things besides gaming. Media will be a large component of next gen.

3. Beautiful OS. They showed a lot of it and it was impressive. Fast, slick, and capable of real multi tasking

4. Mass market games. COD, Madden, Fifa. These may not be big titles to us but they are huge titles for mainstream. Gamers first view and the "best versions" are on Xbox One

Cons

1. Core gamers miss you! Forza was nice but expected. Remedies game was cool but confusing. Should have announced another core title and played a live demo.

2. Too much media. Especially the TV stuff. Lets be honest it dragged here

3. Vague on the things core gamers want to know. Pre owned? Used games? Always online? Never mentioned in the conference, and the answers we got were confusing.

In closing Sony did a great job selling to their base and core gamers have every right to be excited. They dropped the ball appealing to mass market though.

MS, great job selling to the masses and I think NA is on lock now. That said the core base is angry and I didn't see anything that will really help the situation in Japan and Europe

the PS4 press conference was actually pretty average, just happens the xbox conference was terrible, so it made the PS4 press conference look better

Especially if you live outside of America like me, these features won't even work here

Around the Network

Why are you saying Microsoft did a great job selling to the masses? The public/masses/casuals DON'T watch these types of events. They don't even watch E3. Most of them don't even know what E3 is.

The audience for events such as these are core gamers.

Casuals won't hop on till they start seeing commercials/hearing celebrities endorse/everyone and their mother starts talking about how hip or trendy it is.

I thought the MS reveal was worse because it clearly wasn't aimed at me to begin with, and Sony's was.

Frankly, I don't give a crap about a lot of the IPs they showed at Sony's press release either. But at least they were willing to focus more on the gaming experience. MS's reveal showed that they're going all in on the "general entertainment hub" business that I didn't give a crap about when Sony tried it with the PS3.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Microsoft probably believe that what all these angry core gamers need is a bunch of games and they'll be happy as a bee. Halo, Forza, etc. are all it takes. Because of this, gamers can take the back seat while they prioritize the mass market at the reveal.

BenVTrigger said:
VGKing said:
Why do people keep forgetting that Sony showed off Watch Dogs? That was definitely one of the highlights for me.

That being said, Sony's conference wasn't amazing. In fact it was a little too long and had a little bit too much tech demos. It was gamer focused though, Sony knew who would be watching the reveal so they catered to them. Microsoft knew the same people would be watching their reveal, yet they did their best to disappoint gamers.

We went half-way through the show without a single game being shown or even announced. Then the games they did show were some sort of sizzle real from EA Sports combined with buzz words such as "realistic", "experiences" and "content" and the obvious such as next-gen games will have better animation and graphics.(duh!) Quantum Break was the only surprise at the event, although it looks like some sort of Tv Show/Game hybrid which is weird. Forza 5 reveal wasn't impressive. It was expected, it didn't look next-gen and anyone would believe it if you told them it was coming to 360. Call of Duty's new engine didn't look impressive, we've seen current-gen games that look better than that, at least on a graphical level. Without any real gameplay demonstrations, it didn't leave a strong impression.

You know for once I pretty much agree with this comment almost completly.

I do think MS did a better job selling to average joe gamer than Sony did though. But I would say Sony certainly appealed to the core base better

One big problem with that.  The average Joe gamer wasn't watching.  These reveals are mainly watched by the hardcore gamer.  The ones that would set time aside in their day to actually watch a console reveal, and not just read about it later.  Plus, no one said the PS4 reveal was awesome when it happened.  It was a pretty good show, but nothing AMAZING other then getting to see what next gen games will look like.  But, compared to the Xbox reveal, it was amazing.  I mean, when you have hardcore Xbox fans like Angry Joe ranting on Youtube for half an hour, saying he's not going to buy your system, you know your reveal was horrid.  Heck, even more mainstream gamers, like those on Video Games Awesome, just mocked the entire event and most of the features that they showed.

I think MS is going to have to have one hell of an E3 conference to turn this around for their fans.  That means that they announce they have decided to not go the DRM and online check path.  And those 15 games had better be 90% core games.  And NOT timed exclusives.  And NOT smaller XBLA games.

Yes, you are the only one. Are you happy now?

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian