By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is winning indie devs hearts enough for winning console war ?

RenCutypoison said:

Sony invested a lot in that, and indie devs are a lot into vita despite ridiculous sales.

But still, ridiculous sales.

Do you think indie games can actually sell a system ?

Sony didn't only strengthen and invest in Indie Developers.
The whole 3rd Party is favoring them with the PS4 and so do Indie Developers.

They invested and changed in every aspect with the new console and direction they are going to.
Vita can't be saved anyway.

Around the Network

No, indie support is not enough to win
Certainly doesn't hurt though

i'm not sure an indie game has been a system seller but i believe it could. hell, if thatgamecompany's next game (flower, journey) was (let's say) wiiU exclusive i probably pick up a wiiU for it.

Indie games themselves don't sell systems, they just add to the library.

As for the Vita, I believe it's 3 factors. One is that indie games have a lot less competition on the Vita (Not only due to Nintendo's VC, but Nintendo makes 1st-party E-shop games as well), and are suited in playing it in short bursts.

Another is that making a 3DS port takes more effort. You have to add 3D and bottom screen stuff. Vita you pretty much makes sure it runs smoothly.

Lastly, I believe Sony may be offering more incentives for indies to port the games to the Vita. Combating the lack of output of software by their own studios. It's also more beneficial for Sony to have people continually DL titles rather than buy retail, and indie games fill up card space.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Few people visit a restaurant for its condiments.

Around the Network

No. I dont think anyone buys a system because of indie games. They are just small distractions better suited for the phone and tablet market actually.
Of course, theres some exceptions that manage to reach the mid-level of console quality standard and are embraced. Like Minecraft, Walking dead and Journey. That level of indie game is the only one i would think would impact sales.

People buy consoles for the big games. a New God of War for the Vita would sell more Vitas than all the indie games that are on it at this point.

Depends on how many indie devs are as likeable as Phil Fish.

noname2200 said:

A) ouch.

B) me and my dev team have a weekly lunch date at a mexican place.  we picked it because they have the most incredible salsa bar you could possibly imagine.  when everyone serves the same meal it's the extra's that become the difference maker.

..playstation and xbox have ~95% the same menu.

kitler53 said:
noname2200 said:

A) ouch.

B) me and my dev team have a weekly lunch date at a mexican place.  we picked it because they have the most incredible salsa bar you could possibly imagine.  when everyone serves the same meal it's the extra's that become the difference maker.

Ha! And true, the little things help when everything else is identical. But you buy the 360 or PS3 based mostly on that 95% first: if one had the better indie games but none of the big titles, most folks would go for the other system instead.

noname2200 said:
kitler53 said:
noname2200 said:

A) ouch.

Ha! And true, the little things help when everything else is identical. But you buy the 360 or PS3 based mostly on that 95% first: if one had the better indie games but none of the big titles, most folks would go for the other system instead.

poor vita.  :(