By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Engines that can run on WiiU

Otakumegane said:
EricFabian said:
FrancisNobleman said:
EricFabian said:
Fox Engine

Is there word about that engine for wii u ?

It is the engine powering the next major wave of konami titles, if they don't bring it to wii u I guess konami will belong in the same basket as EA.

someone post here one day :) I don't remember, but even if it fully support Wii U, we won't have a Metal Gear Solid U o/

Maybe?

please don't do this with my heart! lol

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
Barozi said:
animegaming said:
actually it can run frostbite 2 cause need for speed is on that engine dice was lying pretty much

I think you are lying right now...or at least making uninformed posts.

i thought the last 2 need for speed games i guess i was wrong 

Good thread. Gets the point across that technology has not a damn thing to do with it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I wonder if Ignite engine will make it to Wii U or if the sparse EA support will be done with their slap-in 360 engines.

I suspect EA will support both Ignite and Frostbite for the Wii U. It's going to take a great deal less work to have two lead platforms. Have the PC as the lead platform and port to the Wii U, PS4 and One and have either the PS3 or 360 as an independent lead platform and port to the other previous gen console.

There's a great deal less work that way due to the Wii U having such a similar architecture to the other two current gen platforms.

Around the Network
snowdog said:

I suspect EA will support both Ignite and Frostbite for the Wii U. It's going to take a great deal less work to have two lead platforms. Have the PC as the lead platform and port to the Wii U, PS4 and One and have either the PS3 or 360 as an independent lead platform and port to the other previous gen console.

There's a great deal less work that way due to the Wii U having such a similar architecture to the other two current gen platforms.

isn't wii u powerpc closer to 360 than ps4 ?

also, word is that the wii u budget was pulled out and directed towards mobile (frostbite go and such).

FrancisNobleman said:

also, word is that the wii u budget was pulled out and directed towards mobile (frostbite go and such).

Bloody hell, I hope that's a rumour. Make it sound like we are less important than the mobile market, granted it's a bigger market share. I just hope it doesn't bite them back in the arse in the long run...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

If phones can run Frostbite, Wii U can run Frostbite.

This is the kind of common sense that proves EA is run by idiots.

FrancisNobleman said:

snowdog said:

isn't wii u powerpc closer to 360 than ps4 ?

You're making a very common mistake. CPU architecture != console architecture. These days it's pretty easy for developers to port code from one type of CPU architecture to another. What's more difficult is to port from a completely different console architecture to another.

PS3 and 360 games are 'CPU heavy', the CPUs deal with floating point operations. Wii U, PS4 and One games are going to be 'GPU heavy' because the floating point work is going to be done by the GPU because they're better suited to the task.

Coding for different CPU architectures these days isn't a big problem because developers don't code in assembly language or machine code and haven't done for donkeys years. Everyone uses c++ with a different set of APIs and SDKs for each platform, and after being compiled and linked the machine code is created by the compiler for each platform. There really isn't a problem with the Wii U having a PowerPC CPU and the PS4 and the One having x86 CPUs. All 3 current gen consoles would have problems with developers porting code across from the PS3 and 360 without heavy optimisation because the CPU in each console isn't suited to the tasks that Xenon and the Cell do with regards to floating point work.

PS3/360 ports were part of the reason why most of the Wii U launch titles didn't perform as well as they should.

What I want to know is whether Quantum3 has been ported to the Wii U, and if HVS are making any Wii U titles (The Grinder on Wii U would be quite interesting, and I still hope HVS team up with Nintendo to make a new Conduit that has HVS's technical quality along with Nintendo's skill with game-making).

Actually, Grinder on Wii U has incredible potential, because the Wii version was going to be FPS, and the 360/PS3 versions were going to be top-down... with Wii U, you could have two players, one playing FPS and the other playing top-down, simultaneously.