By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which games are designed for speed running?

archbrix said:
F0X said:
archbrix said:
Donkey Kong Country. During the ending, Cranky Kong says, "I did this using one life and it took less than an hour." I made it my goal to achieve this on a game file and finally did, all while attaining 101% as well. My point being that the game is designed in many sections to haul ass, bouncing from enemy to enemy to blast through the levels. Fun stuff.

I second this. DKCR took it a step further by adding a Time Attack mode, and the levels once again were designed for significant amounts of ass-hauling.

I agree, but the problem with DKCR (for me) was that I hated... HATED... ABSOLUTELY FRICK'N HATED the fact that you had to shake the Wii remote to be able to do your roll move which gave you a speed boost when followed by jumping. God, I despised that design choice. That single flaw brought the game's score down at least an entire point for me. I've seen people on Youtube pull it off in tight spaces like it was nothing, but I sucked at it. I never would have been able to achieve what I did in DKC with that; just give me a good old button to hold down to run any day.

Did I mention that I hated having to shake to roll in DKCR?

I ended up switching to the Remote + Nunchuck control method because I prefer flicking to shaking.

Thankfully no such thing exists in the 3DS version.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:

Glitches are to speed run certain games, but are there other games like Super Metroid that have speed running and sequence breaking seemingly play a crucial factor into the level design? 

Should rather ask what games don't have them...

Have fun http://speedrunslive.com/
Every game a person does a speedrun for there is in 90% glitched to death inclusive skipping and breaking the game completely.

These day... game with no sense of personality like COD, Killzone, Battlefield series.

The 2D Mario games almost certainly, and then there's things like Ocarina of Time and certainly Majora's Mask which have speed-running as a main objective.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Munkeh111 said:
Am I the only one thinking about Mirror's Edge?

Yay! That's the first game I thought of. I was worried no one else did ^_^

Around the Network

Guacamelee!

F0X said:
archbrix said:
F0X said:
archbrix said:
Donkey Kong Country. During the ending, Cranky Kong says, "I did this using one life and it took less than an hour." I made it my goal to achieve this on a game file and finally did, all while attaining 101% as well. My point being that the game is designed in many sections to haul ass, bouncing from enemy to enemy to blast through the levels. Fun stuff.

I second this. DKCR took it a step further by adding a Time Attack mode, and the levels once again were designed for significant amounts of ass-hauling.

I agree, but the problem with DKCR (for me) was that I hated... HATED... ABSOLUTELY FRICK'N HATED the fact that you had to shake the Wii remote to be able to do your roll move which gave you a speed boost when followed by jumping. God, I despised that design choice. That single flaw brought the game's score down at least an entire point for me. I've seen people on Youtube pull it off in tight spaces like it was nothing, but I sucked at it. I never would have been able to achieve what I did in DKC with that; just give me a good old button to hold down to run any day.

I ended up switching to the Remote + Nunchuck control method because I prefer flicking to shaking.

Thankfully no such thing exists in the 3DS version.

Yep, the 3DS version is almost a sure buy from me at some point for that very reason. :)

KHlover said:
archbrix said:

You might want to install the HBC on your Wii. You can use a code which remaps rolling to ZR on the Classic Controller+. I'd never have finished the game without that code^^

That's pretty cool; I didn't know that, but unfortunately I have no desire to install the HBC on my Wii. :(

Now, if I get my hands on a second one somewhere down the line then I'll certainly look into it.