By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fair comparison of Halo, Gran Turismo, and Mario. Broken down per generation

Nice comparison, did you make this after our little discussion Jaywood :P

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
The MAIN Mario franchise, by itself, is the highest selling video game franchise in history, for good reason.

The reason being mass bundling and over 200 games in the franchise?

I can't believe GT has the highest average per game, that's insane.

I actually agree with what someone else said, it'd be a more interesting comparison to do just 3D Mario or just 2D Mario vs the other 2. 3D Mario in particular would be more interesting to me at least considering it fits the whole "hardcore" AAA flagship system-seller mold even if the 2D ones tend to sell better.

More people buy GT (bigger fanbase). Just has'nt been around as long as Mario.

JayWood2010 said:
All-Time Total Date Titles Average per game Average Per Year
Mario 510.17m 1982 101 5.05m 16.46m
Gran Turismo 67.65m 1997 9 7.52m 4.23m
Halo 55.89m 2001 10 5.59m 4.66m

You've made a few mistakes regarding Mario.

Of the 101, there's "Detective Conan: Marionette Symphony", which isn't a mario game, at 0.02 million, pulling down the average. Also included is SSX On Tour, which just had a Mario cameo, at 0.17 million, and NBA Street V3, also with a Mario cameo, at 0.29 million. It includes Drawn to Life (has "Marionette" in the Japanese name) at 0.77 million. Removing these incorrect attributions, the numbers change a little, to 97 titles total, with a total of 508.92 million, average per game of 5.25 million and an average per year of 16.42 million.

Strictly speaking, quite a few other titles shouldn't be counted, because Mario is a character found in multiple franchises - so DDR: Mario Mix, for instance, doesn't really qualify as a Mario franchise title - it's a spinoff. Alternatively, if you consider the IP to be what matters, then you're missing Luigi's Mansion, Super Princess Peach, most of the Yoshi games, Super Smash Bros, etc, etc.

Around the Network
think-man said:
Nice comparison, did you make this after our little discussion Jaywood :P

Well a few other things happened since that but yeah you was a part of it haha

And thanks :)

I think if you broke down the "Mario" games, most would heavily disagree with your categorization.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

superchunk said:
I think if you broke down the "Mario" games, most would heavily disagree with your categorization.

Im leaving it as is.  Ill clean up a few things like Halo PC and games that are oddly under Mario even though they aren't tomorrow if this thread is still active.

JayWood2010 said:
Generation 7 Total Date Titles Average Per Game Average Per Year
Mario 118.53m 2007 15 7.9m 19.76m
Gran Turismo 17.33M 2007 3 5.78M 2.89M
Halo 40.06m 2007 6 6.68m 6.68m

And this is why GT fans revert to the lifetime sales argument. What an amazing reversal gen over gen. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.