By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What are EA thinking?

o_O.Q said:
Play4Fun said:

The CPU is "weaker" because it isn't meant to do what CPUs used to do on PS3 and 360. If your code is heavily CPU dependent, you'll run into issues. It's a different, more modern design. And that's pretty much it.

ok so its still weaker right?

If you say so.

And I guess PS4/720/i7 CPUs are weaker than PS3's CPU since they can't match it's single precision floating point.

Around the Network
snowdog said:
That guy has probably got the sack and won't work in the industry again.

As for EA their hissy fit will end before the end of the year when shareholders demand that the publisher doesn't ignore a console that's going to be the market leader for a while. By the end of this year I'm expecting the Wii U to have an installed userbase over 10m, and the PS4 and 720 lucky to have an installed userbase of 2m each at the most. It's going to take years for the PS4 and 720 to close that gap, if they manage to do it before the Wii 3 arrives at all.

10m is do-able if Nintendo release some decent first party software but PS4 and Xbox should be able to manage around 3 million each in their first holiday seasons. WiiU managed around 3 million in its release period and holiday season with little in the way of compelling software. Early adopting Playstation and Xbox fans should be able to match that figure meaning 6 million competing consoles with what looks to be greater third party support.

Ea is desperatly trying to push Nintendo into a SEGA position, but they underestimated the opponent greatly this time. If the Wii U turns around, like it likely will, they will eat crow. They are doing all they can to ensure that their decision is the correct one. They are also trying to negatively influence other western developers.

The funny thing is the consumer is the one that has the last word. We shall see what happens.

Nem said:
Ea is desperatly trying to push Nintendo into a SEGA position, but they underestimated the opponent greatly this time. If the Wii U turns around, like it likely will, they will eat crow. They are doing all they can to ensure that their decision is the correct one. They are also trying to negatively influence other western developers.

The funny thing is the consumer is the one that has the last word. We shall see what happens.

I think it will bite them in the end. I'm really wondering what will happen to their songbird (the twitter guy) after all this. His article on IGN has 9500 comments now. I can't remember anything like that!

Osc89 said:
snowdog said:

As for EA their hissy fit will end before the end of the year when shareholders demand that the publisher doesn't ignore a console that's going to be the market leader for a while. By the end of this year I'm expecting the Wii U to have an installed userbase over 10m, and the PS4 and 720 lucky to have an installed userbase of 2m each at the most. It's going to take years for the PS4 and 720 to close that gap, if they manage to do it before the Wii 3 arrives at all.

Over 10m is quite ambitious, considering they will have to compete with PS4 and 720 on top of a possible cheaper 360 and PS3 with a new entry in their biggest franchise. And for PS4 and 720 to get more support, they only have to reach the Wii U total combined as they are (rumoured to be) very similar systems.

Not that ambitious when you consider the software that's on the way - Wii Fit, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Game & Wario, Wind Waker HD, 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 should all be released before the end of the year.

It has an installed userbase of around 3m (?) so far, should do 3m between now and November and should easily do 4m+ from November until the end of the year assuming that 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 are released in November.

And publishers will support it fine if it has a third of the marketshare thanks to Nintendo having a console with a standard rendering pipeline and an architecture very similar to the other two current gen consoles. It's going to be much easier for developers to port between the Wii U/PS4/720 than it currently is to port between the Wii U/PS3/360. And the difference in power between the Wii U and the other consoles isn't going to be that much of a problem either.

For some strange reason people seem to be thinking that the Wii U is going to continue selling at its current rate and that both the PS4 and 720 are not only going to do gangbusters at launch but will continue to do gangbusters into the launch window and beyond. It's not going to happen. Both the PS4 and 720 are going to be more expensive than the Wii U, certainly over $400 imo, and they're also going to be supply constrained. I personally can't see either one of them doing over 2m before the end of the year and for the first 4 or 5 months of the year sales are going to go right downhill because nobody has any cash to spare after Christmas.

If the Wii U does over 10m, the PS4 under 2m and the 720 under 2m even EA are going to change their tune with regards to Wii U support otherwise shareholders will go apeshit.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
snowdog said:

10m is do-able if Nintendo release some decent first party software but PS4 and Xbox should be able to manage around 3 million each in their first holiday seasons. WiiU managed around 3 million in its release period and holiday season with little in the way of compelling software. Early adopting Playstation and Xbox fans should be able to match that figure meaning 6 million competing consoles with what looks to be greater third party support.

There's absolutely no way they could possibly do 3m each. Even if you take the retail price of each out of the equation (the Wii U, PS3 and 360 will all be cheaper to buy) you've got to take into account that both have components made on a 28nm process which hasn't fully matured yet so there's going to be a good amount of wasted silicon due to low yields.

The Wii U had a good launch because Nintendo were able to get stock on shelves in good supply. For the PS4 and 720 to do 3m each they would have to do pretty much the same level of sales as the Wii unless I'm remembering incorrectly. It's not going to happen.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo fans should all unite and boycott EA until they sort their sh*t out.

"What is EA thinking?"

How to be more evil than Activision~ X)

Sorry couldn't help it ^^;;

Max King of the Wild said:
snowdog said:

I thought you gave up that pipe dream. Nintendo will have less than 4mil shipped by August... That is less than a million in 6months. And you expect them to ship another 7mil the next 6 months?

3Ds already did 1mil in just one week

Click HERE and be happy 

Just for comparison's sake the 360 sold 1.1 million altogether in November and December. The PS3 sold 1.2 million, launches aligned. There's absolutely no way that either of the PS4 or 720 will do 3m in the same time period.