By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - You can play The Last of Us while it is still downloading

ironmanDX said:
PS4? Aww... Didn't we know this already? Still very impressive though on a console, pc's have been doing it for what? A decade? Maybe a tad more... I was hoping it was a thread about the ps3!

Still impressive though... Sorry...

If only that were the case when i was downloading staes the old republic last night or even the trials evolution demo. 

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Around the Network

This is a lie, or miss-quoted.

PS3 install system for PSN content uses compressed "packages". Much like compressed archives but with extra info inside like switches for minimum firmware version, where they can be installed from etc (like a bluray or hard drive).

PS3 has to "install" all package content to be able to use it.

This is not going to be changed for one single game because it's what makes up the whole system, things would have to be changed on the firmware level to allow it and I call BS on any such change being made for a single game, or even multiple games this late on.

Who's up for a bet that the only way this will work is if the game is downloaded in 2 "chunks" like episodic content and only then would the 50% be playable....

Much like Ni-No-Kumi, that was divided into 2 chunks for a PSN release due to size, would be easy enough to keep the core binary/engine files in both chunks. This game didn't do that, but it easily could and the technology is about as old as the abacus. (keeping core files in first chunk)...

It's how games needing 2 CDs work!

So effectively this isn't news at all (no offense OP), and could be done on any game.

ironmanDX said:
pezus said:
ironmanDX said:
PS4? Aww... Didn't we know this already? Still very impressive though on a console, pc's have been doing it for what? A decade? Maybe a tad more... I was hoping it was a thread about the ps3!

Still impressive though... Sorry...

The Last of Us is on PS3 o.O

Where can you play PC games while downloading? I always have to finish my downloads first

Yes. http://www.thelastofus.com/

Holy crap, you actually got me there. At first, I was a solid "YES", that quickly changed too, "but, if he didn't know how would I?) You made me look up the link to self-confirm it. Kudos sir.

WoW has been doing it for as long as it's been around. As far as I know anyway. That and Diablo III are the only ones I know of but I assumed they'd be tonnes more.

WoW only added streaming/downloading while you play in 3.0 (Cataclysm launch in december 2010) and i think Blizzard is the only company that uses the tech on PC's. Though i wouldn't be surprised if it became fairly standard in MMO's or if Steam/Origin decided to make use of the technology in the future.

Aprisaiden said:

WoW only added streaming/downloading while you play in 3.0 (Cataclysm launch in december 2010) and i think Blizzard is the only company that uses the tech on PC's. Though i wouldn't be surprised if it became fairly standard in MMO's or if Steam/Origin decided to make use of the technology in the future.

Hmm, didn't know that...

@Pezus, I really should stop coming on here before bed.... I either fly off at someone or read something wrong... Yeah, Goodnight...

Nice, so I wont have to download the whole game before start playing it. I will also get a physical copy, in order to show support, but normally, I prefer everything digital, so that when the PS4 offers PSN BC I can still play my games without buying them again (even though I would have bought this game twice lol) :)

Around the Network
pezus said:
fillet said:

This is a lie, or miss-quoted.

PS3 install system for PSN content uses compressed "packages". Much like compressed archives but with extra info inside like switches for minimum firmware version, where they can be installed from etc (like a bluray or hard drive).

PS3 has to "install" all package content to be able to use it.

This is not going to be changed for one single game because it's what makes up the whole system, things would have to be changed on the firmware level to allow it and I call BS on any such change being made for a single game, or even multiple games this late on.

Who's up for a bet that the only way this will work is if the game is downloaded in 2 "chunks" like episodic content and only then would the 50% be playable....

Much like Ni-No-Kumi, that was divided into 2 chunks for a PSN release due to size, would be easy enough to keep the core binary/engine files in both chunks. This game didn't do that, but it easily could and the technology is about as old as the abacus. (keeping core files in first chunk)...

It's how games needing 2 CDs work!

So effectively this isn't news at all (no offense OP), and could be done on any game.

It's news exactly because this is the first game to do it on PS3...or on any other console for that matter as far as I'm aware. Just because it's "possible" with other games doesn't mean this isn't news worthy

I'm not disputing it's the first time it's been done, I'm disputing the reporting.

It's going to work like this...

1. Download 1 chunk

2. Install this chunk which will take a good 15 minutes.

3. Download 2nd chunk at your leisure.

None of this will be dynamic, you won't be able to play until that 1st chunk is downloaded fully and installed. You also won't be able to download while it's installing.

Nice feature, not really news worthy in the context it will be done and nothing like how the PS4 will do it.

i suppose the game could have some kind of installer like the Sony MMO's that download content independent from the system software.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’