By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 4K TV Resolution Is Overrated

Soundwave said:

I was passing by the Sony Store today and they just recently put up a demo of a giant (like 80-inch plus) 4K Sony TV (which retails for a low, low $24,999 price, lol).

Anyways it was running a loop of hand picked "sizzle reel" 4K images ... and to be honest ... while it's nice, it wasn't *that* big of a jump from 1080P Blu-Ray to be honest.

Generally I don't think "average joe" is going to care when they see the difference. It's a somewhat cleaner/sharper image but that's about it.

Are you talkiing 1080p on an 80" or 1080p on a 55"?

I'd have thought that the difference between 4K and 1080p only becomes noticable on the really big screens, like HD only really becomes noticable  as better than SD once you get to a certain size screen.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Only just available to consumers and it's already overrated apparently.

I have seen a 55" Sharp (which was only 4 or 5000 dollars equivalent in yen) and that huge Sony TV and the difference from 1080p is pretty remarkable with the right content. Much more of a window effect than 1080p ever can do.

Compared to the admittedly very nice looking Battleship on Bluray that was playing in 1080p on the TVs all around it, the 4k content on the Sharp TV blows it away.

What source are they using when they demo the TVs at Best Buy?

walsufnir said:
SvennoJ said:

Anyway better reason not to jump in yet is no HDMI 2.0.
HDMI 1.4a is limited to 2160p24 no 60 fps support. Another HD ready 1080i fiasco waiting to happen.

That's why there will be no PS4-gaming at 4k. Or did they announce PS4 will feature hdmi 2.0?

HDMI 2.0 hasn't been released yet, still targeted for first half of 2013, coming soon. So I'm 90% sure that's too late for the ps4. Yet Sony does have some connections to get the specs early. There are rumors, but no specific HDMI version has been confirmed yet.

However blu-ray 4k playback is pretty much out since it will have a 6x CAV blu-ray drive, too slow to maintain 4K playback bitrates accross the disc. And without support for 100gb or 200gb I don't see it happening anyway. Sony does want to release 4K streaming for the ps4 at 100GB a movie.

The blu-ray consortium is still twiddling it's thumbs about the physical 4K format, not expected until the end this year now. They have just been gathering opinions on what it should support for now. (which 4K format, what frame rates etc)
It will be on blu-ray though, probably on a 4 or 8 layer (100gb or 200gb) disc with h.265 (HEVC) codec. Both incompatible with current players unfortunately.

All the pieces are there, 12x CAV (or 5x CLV, sustained 180mbps throughput) blu-ray drives, 200GB discs, and a twice efficient codec.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/09/nhk-and-mitsubishi-develop-the-first-h-265-encoder-for-8k-video/
CES 2014 might see the first 4K blu-ray player, more likely CES 2015 the way things are continually getting delayed.

A ps4 slim in 2016 might get 4k blu-ray playback.

SvennoJ said:
walsufnir said:
SvennoJ said:

HDMI 1.4a is limited to 2160p24 no 60 fps support. Another HD ready 1080i fiasco waiting to happen.

That's why there will be no PS4-gaming at 4k. Or did they announce PS4 will feature hdmi 2.0?

HDMI 2.0 hasn't been released yet, still targeted for first half of 2013, coming soon. So I'm 90% sure that's too late for the ps4. Yet Sony does have some connections to get the specs early. There are rumors, but no specific HDMI version has been confirmed yet.

However blu-ray 4k playback is pretty much out since it will have a 6x CAV blu-ray drive, too slow to maintain 4K playback bitrates accross the disc. And without support for 100gb or 200gb I don't see it happening anyway. Sony does want to release 4K streaming for the ps4 at 100GB a movie.

The blu-ray consortium is still twiddling it's thumbs about the physical 4K format, not expected until the end this year now. They have just been gathering opinions on what it should support for now. (which 4K format, what frame rates etc)
It will be on blu-ray though, probably on a 4 or 8 layer (100gb or 200gb) disc with h.265 (HEVC) codec. Both incompatible with current players unfortunately.

All the pieces are there, 12x CAV (or 5x CLV, sustained 180mbps throughput) blu-ray drives, 200GB discs, and a twice efficient codec.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/09/nhk-and-mitsubishi-develop-the-first-h-265-encoder-for-8k-video/
CES 2014 might see the first 4K blu-ray player, more likely CES 2015 the way things are continually getting delayed.

Oh, I wasn't talking about 4k-bluray but gaming :) 4k-bluray will be possible (at 24 frames) for sure.

Around the Network

4K is pointless

TV, at least where I am is either 576i or 1080i and is a long way from ever reaching 4K let alone 1080p
Gamers would rather better graphics then ridiculous high resolutions especially for the general 23" monitor
There are no physical discs for 4K and blu ray has only just started becoming standard
4K files are way too large and streaming of 4K content won't be feasible for many countries
Unless we are speaking of 50"+ tv's 4K is mostly pointless even if we had 4K content readily available.

I really don't see 4K catching on anytime soon

walsufnir said:
SvennoJ said:
walsufnir said:
SvennoJ said:

Oh, I wasn't talking about 4k-bluray but gaming :) 4k-bluray will be possible (at 24 frames) for sure.

Well there are rumors, nothing confirmed either way.
24fps gaming will be possible at 4K and I don't think next-gen hardware is powerful enough for 4K60 anyway.
A slower adventure game like beyond 2 souls might look mighty fine at v-synched 4k 24fps.
GT6 show room and photo mode definitely possible at 4K 24fps.

Fact is its better and its becoming affordable very fast its definetly worth buying if it gets affordable.

The 55-65 inch Sony 4k TVs are 5000-6000. Thoshiba has 7000 Dollar 4k TVs

Chinese brands offer 4k 50inch for 1500 Dollar already.

In a few years it might be so cheap that that people will be willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars more for 4k TVs if they need a new TV anyway 4k/3D will be standard features for all TVs in 5-10 years.

Netyaroze said:
Fact is its better and its becoming affordable very fast its definetly worth buying if it gets affordable.

The 55-65 inch Sony 4k TVs are 5000-6000. Thoshiba has 7000 Dollar 4k TVs

Chinese brands offer 4k 50inch for 1500 Dollar already.

In a few years it might be so cheap that that people will be willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars more for 4k TVs if they need a new TV anyway 4k/3D will be standard features for all TVs in 5-10 years.

The only way people will buy it is if its standard, but most people won't give a crap about the 4K feature itself. It's just a bonus throw in.

Talking like years down the road when a 4K set is $1000-$1500.

agreed.

it makes a difference if you have a ridiculously large screen but i don't want a 100 inch screen. my home isn't big enough.

sony and the rest need to realize that screens have shifted from a luxury to a commodity. stop focusing on bigger and start focusing on cheaper.