By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA confirms they have Zero games in development for Wii U

Is EA being unfair to Nintendo

Yes 144 48.65%

Maybe 37 12.50%

No 114 38.51%

Total:295

Another thing to remember is that EA are actually in some financial trouble and they've recently shed 10% of their workforce. With their WiiU titles not selling particularly well and no obvious signs of growth for the console in general, it makes business sense for them to focus on other platforms.

Around the Network
Mazty said:
Michael-5 said:
Mazty said:

Why is it so hard to believe that a company doesn't want to develop for a console that has an incredibly small user base? By that logic alone it doesn't sound profitable to develop for when there is a user base of over 140 million out there on consoles devs are used to working with.

How well do sports games sell on the Wii U? Apparently, not very well:
http://kotaku.com/5968909/when-only-42-people-are-playing-madden-on-the-wii-u-its-not-a-sports-console

I like how you presume Wii U sales will pick up, just as the sun rises and sets. With all this news of 3rd party devs fleeing (No EA, no UE4, no Insomniac, no Avalache Studios etc) and the PS4/720 on the horizon, I now believe we may have a contender for the dreamcast on our hands. 

With your logic then EA shouldn't develop for PS4/Infinity either. Why is Wii U the only one out? Wii U's specs are more or less the same as PS3/360's, so it;s not like they are designing a new game for Wii U's capabilities. It's an easy port, where a PS4/Inf game is a full rebuild.

LOL, no Insomniac, how many MP games did they ever make?

Wii U is by far not a Dreamcast. Dreamcast was a low budget, 2-3 years premature, final hope for Sega after the internal mismanagments which had separate Sega studios develop both a 32x and a Saturn, at a cost. Sega also never established itslef as a gaming super power like Nintendo. No, even at its worst case, Wii U will sell better then a lot of other highly profitable home consoles. Remember, except for last year, Nintendo has always turned a profit, and it didn't always have such a handheld dominance.

No - as you admit the Wii U is not offering much more than the 360/PS3 in terms of specs, ergo why would someone buy it? The 360/PS3 market is near enough at the end of its cycle, therefore why would someone then go "hey, i'm not going to spend $300 on a console that is more or less the same as my existing console(s)!"?

The PS4 is many times more powerful than the PS3 and that opens up a market that wants to see dramatic improvements. Considering the postitive feed back about the PS4 demo graphics, this market seems to exist. And no it's not an easy port because of the Wii U's low clock speed which is considerably slower than the 360's and PS3s. And why port a game to a market that is so small? It literally isn't worth the time. 

Try to belittle Insomniac all you want, but the list of devs ignoring the Wii U is growing, not shrinking so put your personal preferences aside as they are making multiplat for the PS4/720.

Wii U is not selling and devs are abandoning it. At this rate, it'll be lucky to hit 10 million. Please state which consoles you believe the Wii U will sell better than as I'd like to quote this in the future as I do believe that if we are lucky it'll sell arounf the 20 mill mark lifetime. 

Obviously very few people will buy a Multiplatform HD title on the Wii U, especially if they own a PS3/360. However there is still the market for Wii U owners who don't own a PS3/360, people who bought a Wii U after their PS3/360 broke, and people who just want a Wii U version of the game over the PS3/360 version for potential GamePad options, or Wii-Mote controls (Any game that supports Move would play great on Wii U).

As for Insomniac, I only point it out because they aren't known for making multiplatform games. If Mistwalker made a Wii U/360 exclusive for this fall, would you be surprised?

Anyway, this is just a difference of opinion, and predictions. "why port a game to a market that is so small? It literally isn't worth the time. " I disagree, Wii U's market will grow rapidly this fall, and even if the market is much smaller then the PS3/360 market, it's still profitable to port the game at a low cost to the Wii U.

As for predictions, Gamecube didn't open to 2.5 million units during its first 2 months of retail, and it had AAA games from day 1. I really doubt Wii U will sell anywhere nearly as bad as the Gamecube, especially after the image it made for itself with the Wii. If you want to quote me, then quote this.

"I predict Wii U will sell more units then the NES Worldwide. Realistically 60-70 million units is a likely range, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Wii U sell as much as the Wii. I can see the Wii selling as little as 45 million units worldwide, but any less and I would be honestly shocked."

What should I quote you on?

---

P.S. I could be very wrong, I just think that a lot of Wii U hate nowadays is completly unfounded. I think people are sore that Wii won the console war last gen, and a bad start with Wii U is being used as a giant target to justify "Nintendo is doomed!" threads.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results