By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-order Chart Thread - Daily updates!

From "it will sell less than Wonderful 101" to one of the biggest franchises, if not THE biggest franchise, in Japan and one of Nintendo's top 5 IPs in my view. The birth, rise, and success of the Splatoon franchise is turning into quite the story.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Jranation said:
Wow! What a Saturday! And look at that Splatfest effect!!!

And Splatoon 2 @ #1 and #6 in Amazon Japan!!!

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Splatoon reached #1 Spot on Amazon Japan, with the digital version coming in #5

And damn those Switch prices, 50k??? And people thought 300$ would be too much already

DQ11 ps4 just went back on top.  The fact it's competing with splatoon 2 especially when a 3DS version exists is crazy! 

Sucks for SE that the 3DS is doing worse than what people expected. 

And HOLY FUCK Splatoon! Going insane with that user base! At this rate I can see it beating both DQ Versions LT!!! :p

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Alkibiádēs said:
Teeqoz said:
I remember back in the day when we were discussing wether it was a smart move for SE to put DQXI on the PS4

Also, I really do think Splatoon is among the biggest franchises in Japan. Although it still has to prove its longevity to compare to Pokemon, it's not ridiculous to say it may be the biggest franchise in Japan. Splatoon is such an insane success story in Japan. I would even compare it to the original Pokemon games, though scaled back a bit of course.

It's going to see a huge decline despite higher development costs. You tell me if it was a good idea?

Judging from the results in the COMG thread, everything points to the PS4 version offsetting the decline, and the situation being quite a bit worse if the 3DS version had been the only one. Not to mention that they would have to develop a high fidelity version for the Switch to take advantage of that later, so development costs would be higher regardless.

PAOerfulone said:
From "it will sell less than Wonderful 101" to one of the biggest franchises, if not THE biggest franchise, in Japan and one of Nintendo's top 5 IPs in my view. The birth, rise, and success of the Splatoon franchise is turning into quite the story.

Yep! Nintendo have been getting some Massive new IPs this gen with Yokai Watch and Splatoon. And I dont think it will stop here for the Switch. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

rodea_sky_soldier said:

Splatoon 2: BOOM!!! 

Fun fact: I played the splatfest with a iPhone's 3G connection on The bus station!

Wow! Did that used a lot of data?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Jranation said:
rodea_sky_soldier said:

Splatoon 2: BOOM!!! 

Fun fact: I played the splatfest with a iPhone's 3G connection on The bus station!

Wow! Did that used a lot of data?

Used just 57mb for 4 complete rounds!

Jranation said:
PAOerfulone said:

Yep! Nintendo have been getting some Massive new IPs this gen with Yokai Watch and Splatoon. And I dont think it will stop here for the Switch. 

Except Yokai Watch is made and owned by Level 5, not Nintendo. 

Teeqoz said:
Alkibiádēs said:

It's going to see a huge decline despite higher development costs. You tell me if it was a good idea?

Judging from the results in the COMG thread, everything points to the PS4 version offsetting the decline, and the situation being quite a bit worse if the 3DS version had been the only one. Not to mention that they would have to develop a high fidelity version for the Switch to take advantage of that later, so development costs would be higher regardless.

Erm, it's way down even if you combine both sku's. The 3DS is practically dead, of course DQ XI isn't going to set the sales charts on fire. The game should've released two or three years ago. 

The Switch version should've come out at the same time as the PS4 version at least.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Jranation said:
Kerotan said:

DQ11 ps4 just went back on top.  The fact it's competing with splatoon 2 especially when a 3DS version exists is crazy! 

Sucks for SE that the 3DS is doing worse than what people expected. 

And HOLY FUCK Splatoon! Going insane with that user base! At this rate I can see it beating both DQ Versions LT!!! :p

But it's great to see the ps4 version being justified.  Excellent performance so far for it.  

Alkibiádēs said:
Teeqoz said:

Erm, it's way down even if you combine both sku's. The 3DS is practically dead, of course DQ XI isn't going to set the sales charts on fire. The game should've released two or three years ago. 

The Switch version should've come out at the same time as the PS4 version at least.

First of all, you are only looking at COMG points. But COMG points were way higher 10 years ago because the COMG store chain had a higher marketshare in Japan ie. ratios on average were worse in 2007 than they are now.

Example: FFXV got 21% of the points FFXIII got, but it got 48% of the first week sales (and better legs). So FFXV had more than twice as good a ratio as FFXIII, and that's not even considering digital sales.

So even though DQXI is waaay down in COMG points, it won't be as much down in sales.

And that is even ignoring the much better potential in the west coming from the PS4. That it could have released earlier doesn't really have anything to do with wether it should have been on the PS4 or not. And I would argue that DQXI's bad performance on the 3DS isn't only from it being an old platform. Monster Hunter XX got 1305 points in march on the "practically dead" 3DS, so there is plenty of potential for DQXI 3DS to do better. It just isn't. No matter how you try to cut it, the PS4 version was a very good call by SE. It has helped a lot in offsetting the decline from the previous iteration.