By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-order Chart Thread - Daily updates!

Farsala said:
hiska-kun said:

So the death of the franchise in Japan is considered fine now.

Won't Arcades bail it out when that happens?

And SFIV did [PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 157,704 in almost a full year, with a FW of 85k.

A 50% drop is fine FW, its just not good if it doesn't have legs.

Strett Fighter IV also was launched in 360, my friend, we're not talking about a 50% decline.

Media Create 2009 Sales:

[PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 86.075 / 131.727

[360] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 37.782 / 51.152 

OneKartVita said:
hiska-kun said:

It should sell over 100k with digital.  Is that death?  Lol no.  And it's not a problem at all when growth in Asia will probably cancel out the decline in Japan.  Why so negative? 

The game might open as a 360 game and you think this is fine? That means they will fail to relaunch the series in Japan. And yes, we can considered dead the series with this kind of sales. 

And please, stop estimating digital sales without data. I guess One have 90% digital sales going by that... 

Media Create Annual Archive (Spanish version)

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/topic/2246651/

Around the Network
hiska-kun said:
Farsala said:

Won't Arcades bail it out when that happens?

And SFIV did [PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 157,704 in almost a full year, with a FW of 85k.

A 50% drop is fine FW, its just not good if it doesn't have legs.

Strett Fighter IV also was launched in 360, my friend, we're not talking about a 50% decline.

Media Create 2009 Sales:

OneKartVita said:

It should sell over 100k with digital.  Is that death?  Lol no.  And it's not a problem at all when growth in Asia will probably cancel out the decline in Japan.  Why so negative? 

The game might open as a 360 game and you think this is fine? That means they will fail to relaunch the series in Japan. And yes, we can considered dead the series with this kind of sales. 

And please, stop estimating digital sales without data. I guess One have 90% digital sales going by that... 

You are right, I pretty much always discount the 360. Which brings us to the install base argument. PS4 is barely above the PS3, but the 360 brings it to approx. .9m above. Which means it is a 2.4m install base vs 3.3m install base.

at 72% it should sell 90k, So if SFV sells 45k FW it is a 50% decline in relation to install base. Games don't care about install base that much sure, but it helps to explain drops in sales.

I admit it is hard to argue for SFV, guess we shall just wait and see.

Farsala said:
hiska-kun said:

Media Create 2009 Sales:

You are right, I pretty much always discount the 360. Which brings us to the install base argument. PS4 is barely above the PS3, but the 360 brings it to approx. .9m above. Which means it is a 2.4m install base vs 3.3m install base.

at 72% it should sell 90k, So if SFV sells 45k FW it is a 50% decline in relation to install base. Games don't care about install base that much sure, but it helps to explain drops in sales.

I'm sorry but I don't buy this argument. Capcom doesn't care about install base but sales and profits. 

And if you care about install base, Street Fighter sold 38k on 360 first week with less than a million install base, PS4 has more than double of consoles.

hiska-kun said:
Farsala said:

I'm sorry but I don't buy this argument. Capcom doesn't care about install base but sales and profits. 

And if you care about install base, Street Fighter sold 38k on 360 first week with less than a million install base, PS4 has more than double of consoles.

Which Sony basically payed off. Capcoms sales and profits won't come from Japan, and it didn't for SFIV either. Unless the arcade version made bank.

38k FW and no legs. . Are you suggesting that if it sold 40k FW it would sell the same as the 360 counterpart?

I think it will have more legs then the 360 version.

I'm suggesting that using your argument of the install base, given that the 360 install base on that time was 0.9 million and the game sold 38k FW, and the PS4 will have 2.5 million, in other words, almost three times more units sold, the game should sell almost three times more. That is again, using the install base logic (that I said before I don't buy it). We've seen plenty of times before games selling better with less user base and worse with a higher user base.

My original argument was that if we're considering now 40k to be nice sales, which is a big decline from the last entry, and the inability of resurge of the series to a dead level of sales instead, what will be next? 

Capcom have the money from Sony, but they expect to sell 2 million by the end of March worldwide. Inside these two millions, there are some expectations for Japan Sales, unfortunately they're not shared for us. I admit that there's the possibility that worldwide sales can cancel Japan decline, but this doesn't change the fact that the series will be dead in Japan with this kind of numbers. 

Around the Network

Well I mean he didn't say it was good, just fine. Maybe we are both assuming too much. I assumed that he means the sales in Japan are fine when you consider worldwide sales. I assume Capcoms expectations took into account the majority of preorders since they released their earnings report 1 month before the release of SFV.

The sales in Japan for fighters are pretty bad lately though.

hiska-kun said:
Farsala said:

But that argument doesn't wash if Asian growth is bigger than the japanese decline and the EU + NA sales are good.  All I'm saying is 100-150k sales in Japan only is absolutely fine for the series.  

OneKartVita said:
hiska-kun said:

But that argument doesn't wash if Asian growth is bigger than the japanese decline and the EU + NA sales are good.  All I'm saying is 100-150k sales in Japan only is absolutely fine for the series.  

Well, first we have to see if it reach this sales. Also, note that 100-150k is a very big gap (50% of difference). While I'd consider okish sales for something like 150k, 100k wouldn't be a completely bomb, but definitely not good sales either.

Also, you're just assuming that the game will meet expectations in the rest of the world (and before you were assuming high digital sales for Japan). I recommend you to stop assuming these kind of things without actual data. Imagine that Street Fighter V sells on par of Naruto worldwide (1.3 million), that will be 700k lower than the expectations. So before saying that 40k is fine for Japan because the rest of the world will cover the gap, wait for the numbers.

Lastly, if at the end the expectations will be met, we can still say that Japan sales were bad and underperformed, but thanks to the other territories were over performed met expectations. That doesn't change the fact that 40k sales for Japan will be dead level in that territory.

And for Farsala, expectations for Street Fighter V were made in April 2015, definetely not based on pre-orders (source page 13):

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2014/full/explanation_2014_full_01.pdf

@hiska-kun I'm not assuming digital sales will be high I'm just stating that they need to be added to its retail total. So if it sells 150k retail in Japan it likely really sold 175k for example.

I expect it to do better than Naruto so it shouldn't be far off expectations. It's also on pc and Sony assisted with development and advertising so it definitely won't need to sell as much as SF IV to profit handsomely. Basically I think it will be nowhere near bomba status or dead anywhere including Japan.

Not directed to you: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames#1

I see ps4 is #2 on amazon Japan! Sony really doing good on there atm. Another sku at #13 aswell. I guess the influx of small to medium size releases are doing the trick. I can't wait for star Oceon, Persona, dragon quest heroes, FF15, YAKUZA 6, DQ11, KH3, FF7R etc to release. It's going to be an impressive 2016 and 2017 for sure.

OneKartVita said:
hiska-kun said:

Comparatively speaking, it'd be like FF15 selling under 1 million. Sure, it's not bad inherently and other regions might make up for it, but that's still really terrible.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.