By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo have delayed Wii U?

superchunk said:
Nope.

They needed the year start as this holiday will be hard pressed for game buyer's as it is with two new consoles coming out. If Wii U delayed it would probably have fared worse. This way some bought it and will buy one of the other consoles this holiday as well to complement each other.

Now, Nintendo will have a year on market... be more than 2x the userbase of either its competitors (by the end of the holiday season), have far larger library, worked its launch kinks out, and potentially be ready for its first price cut or at least massive bundling options.

Nintendo made the smart choice by launching when it did, even with the software woes and OS limitations.

I seriously doubt the bolded, specially the latter. And if that's including current-gen games (also available on PS3, 360) they don't count for much.

Around the Network

No, it should not have been delayed.  While there have not been a ton of games released to this point, I've still been enjoying what we have bought for it for months now.  I'm happy that it was released last year.  By the time the other two systems come out, there will be a lot of games out for the Wii U, many more than either of the other two new systems.

Stop hating and start playing.

mutantclown said:
superchunk said:
Nope.

They needed the year start as this holiday will be hard pressed for game buyer's as it is with two new consoles coming out. If Wii U delayed it would probably have fared worse. This way some bought it and will buy one of the other consoles this holiday as well to complement each other.

Now, Nintendo will have a year on market... be more than 2x the userbase of either its competitors (by the end of the holiday season), have far larger library, worked its launch kinks out, and potentially be ready for its first price cut or at least massive bundling options.

Nintendo made the smart choice by launching when it did, even with the software woes and OS limitations.

I seriously doubt the bolded, specially the latter. And if that's including current-gen games (also available on PS3, 360) they don't count for much.

By Jan2014 the other two will both be around 3m each. WiiU should be between 8m and 10m... I personally think closer to 10m.

If you only want to count "next-gen" games... well ok. All three will have the same multiplats with the exception of EA games, yet by your definition none of them would count as they are all going to also be on current gen machines. So really it just leaves first party  and/or exclusives. MSony will only have 3-4 at best of those types of games. WiiU already has more than that (NL, NSBMU, ZombiU, LEGOCity, MH3U, Wario) and has another 4-6 launching by end of this year (Pikmin3, ZeldaWWHD, MarioKart or Mario3D or both, W101, ?Bayonetta2, ?X, ?Smash). Wii U will clearly have a far larger library... and I'm not even including the eShop titles.

No.

Should Nintendo have launch the Wii U hardware with the Wii motion controls without pad in 2006? Hell yes.

No, they should never have released it at all, at least in its current form.

Around the Network

No. If anything it came out too late as an earlier launch might have stopped some Wii owners from picking up a PS360.

A perfect scenario for me would have seen Nintendo blowing a little of their Wii DS cash back in 2009 to buy/expand/create a studio to make new HD core IP to launch with the system. The system would have launched 6 months or a year earlier, possibly at $50 or even $100 more and with Wii Sports 3 instead of NintendoLand. NSMBU would have hit when it did. This would have guided people from the Wii to Wii2 much more seemlessly.

Since they didn't I'm fine with the launch timing, sooner is almost always better in this industry. They just should have made NSMBU a little more unique with features like a playble Princess Peach (a fan-favorite, especially since Nintendo has a lot of female fans) and a few other neat hooks, possibly a string of DLC "worlds" 9, 10, 11 and 12 with cool new themes, each released every second month or so. The virtual console should have been ready at lauch. Again, Nintendoland should have been WiiSports3. And the marketing should have been much, much better. And Pikmin should have been good to go for winter. But the launch wasn't really all that bad.

ethomaz said:
No.

Should Nintendo have launch the Wii U hardware with the Wii motion controls without pad in 2006? Hell yes.

as gamecube already showed it wouldn't have sold. you can say about the wii what you want but from a buisness perspective it made them for sure more money then the hd twins.

No. As others have said, most of their problems amount to not keeping their own developers under control and not having enough of them, which is really the long and short of their problems.

I still think the Gamepad was and remains a good idea, but without software to back it up, anything will suck.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

superchunk said:
mutantclown said:
superchunk said:
Nope.

By Jan2014 the other two will both be around 3m each. WiiU should be between 8m and 10m... I personally think closer to 10m.

If you only want to count "next-gen" games... well ok. All three will have the same multiplats with the exception of EA games, yet by your definition none of them would count as they are all going to also be on current gen machines. So really it just leaves first party  and/or exclusives. MSony will only have 3-4 at best of those types of games. WiiU already has more than that (NL, NSBMU, ZombiU, LEGOCity, MH3U, Wario) and has another 4-6 launching by end of this year (Pikmin3, ZeldaWWHD, MarioKart or Mario3D or both, W101, ?Bayonetta2, ?X, ?Smash). Wii U will clearly have a far larger library... and I'm not even including the eShop titles.

There are (next-gen) multiplatform games that will release this year that won't be available on the current-gen. You overstimate the number of Nintendo games releasing this year for Wii U. And you do well in not including eShop titles because if I were to include PSN games only the indie games releasing for PS4 would leave your list in the dust. I seriously doubt Nintendo Wii U will reach 8 million consoles sold by the end of the year. Expect PS4 and Xbox 720 to sell over 4 million (if they release in ALL major regions, of course). 

I'm going to say hell yes and sort of.

With the 'Hell yes', I'm not saying it should have been delayed a year, but obviously Nintendo wasn't ready when they did release the hardware and frankly probably would have been better off with a Spring 2013 release if they and other developers weren't getting the system enough to produce games at stable rate to fill the launch window. Heck, they could have used that time to improve the hardware a bit more, since it should have been obvious developers and media folk that disliked Nintendo from the jump would use any weakness in the system to knock it. And as we saw with the Wii that hurts the system in the long run even if it saves Nintendo money. Or at least make more improvements to get a better marketing strategy and features like the Nintendo TVii, faster load times, the Virtual Console or dual gamepad play set up from the jump rather then waiting for patches and updates.

The 'sort of' comes from the fact that if Nintendo was going to release the system in the state they did, I find it hard to believe that it wasn't ready 3 or 5 months before they released it in November. They honestly should have released the Wii U that summer, maybe convert a few of late release Wii games like something like Pandora's Tower or the port of Fatal Frame 2 they were working on, over to the Wii U since the lack of original software should have been obvious. Even using former Japanese exclusive software like Xenoblade or Last Story as digital software bait could have been done during a early release period to get people to jump aboard a early Wii U release. Unless the system was done made within 18 months (although knowing Iwata's era on hardware development that may have been the case) there should be no excuse as to why they didn't just drop the Wii U earlier then it was, as to have more time to build a audience or take in fans that would want the various late ports they used during the launch window.

So, Nintendo IMO messed up by treating this like it was a normal hardware launch, they should have either been more aggressive with a Summer 2012 release of the system or a little more conservative with a Spring 2013 where they could have worked to improve the system's launch titles or more time to sell developers/publishers understanding of its benefits to improve loyalty. By thinking in standard launch terms and frame without thought to the actual software needed to drive console sales, they sent their system out into the world with a hole through its gut and told it to run.