By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - John Carpenter would love to make a Dead Space movie.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/dead_space_3/news/john_carpenter_would_love_to_make_a_dead_space_film.html

John Carpenter, the man behind horror classics Halloween, The Thing and The Fog, has said EA's Dead Space franchise is ready made for a movie adaptation and he'd love to make it.

"You know it's great," Carpenter told Game Informer in relation to the Dead Space franchise. "The first game was more - I guess it was like Alien - but not quite. It was a little different than that.

"I maintain that Dead Space would just make a great movie because you have these people coming onto an abandoned, shut-down space ship and they have to start it up and something's on board. It's just great stuff.

"I would love to make Dead Space [into a film], I'll tell you that right now. That one is ready-made."

The future of Dead Space remains uncertain after EA confirmed the game sold under what had been expected.

Carpenter also spoke about the Aliens: Colonial Marines fiasco.

"It's all about money," he said. "It's not that something is being mistreated, it's just another marketing issue."

And it's marketing that clearly worked, with Carpenter admitting he was suckered into buying the game.

"They're trying to get you to buy the game, which I stupidly did," he concluded.

Around the Network

Freaking EA.
I hate EA.

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Even if the would bring back Alfred Hitchcock from the dead to direct the movie, it would turn out bad just like all other movies based on video games.

well dead space 3 was heavily inspired by the thing. It would be cool. I love John Carpenters old stuff, but he hasn't exactly done much lately. I still like the dude so I'm not going to be nice :).

Interesting really interesting

Around the Network

John Carpenter? i still love his early movies, but the man is firmly stuck in that past way of movie making and not in a good way.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

It would be the best video game movie ever since an over the hill John Carpenter is better than any of the other directors that ever tried it. In other words, it would be mediocre but watchable.

I need to watch Escape From New York or They Live again soon.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Also since John Carpenter hasn't done anything in quite a while at this point I'm sure he would love to make any kind of movie.

What will the movie offer that the game doesn't? Dead space already has great visuals and a compelling story. This is as dumb as making an Uncharted movie.

It could be good,if they did it right. Nothing wrong with making movies based off video games,hollywood has to rip off ideas from some were.