By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyze This: Should There Be A 'Wii Seal of Quality'?

At first I was thinking yes. But this is the information age. Finding out a product is only a click away. It is up to the consumer to find out these things. Whether you are buying a TV, headphones, or a video game, it is no different.

Around the Network

>... that means you've already got a wii and the shovelware has done it's job.

I think you got it backward, I got a Wii because of the console, NOT because I went to Bestbuy and went "Oh, here's Chicken Shoot on the shelf, now I must get the console that plays this games"

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Nah, they should do the same as Sony and let any old shit be released on it.

kingofwale said:

I think you got it backward, I got a Wii because of the console, NOT because I went to Bestbuy and went "Oh, here's Chicken Shoot on the shelf, now I must get the console that plays this games"

Thats for you, but some joe schmo might go into the store see a game from their favorite movie and buy the game and the Wii, especially sine the Wii has a game with it as well

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

There are a lot more in those answers, like this from Pachter:

"The console has a price advantage over the Xbox 360 and PS3 that can be maintained if Nintendo chooses to un-bundle Wii Sports from the console.

I think that if Nintendo were to do so and cut the price to $199, it would still sell a piece of Nintendo software to 80% of new Wii purchasers, and would end up effectively lowering revenues per console by only around $10. At that price point, the Wii should be strong again in 2009."

Around the Network

What makes Pachter think that Nintendo can't lower the price and still include Wii Sports?

Are you concerned about the long-term prospects of the Wii, if Nintendo manages to meet consumer demand for it this year?

ME: No, Even if the Wii meets demand and sales stay level, they are producing 1.8m units per month which is far greater than anyone else. If demand stays pretty close to that supply, Nintendo has no reason for concern.

Should Nintendo bring back the "Nintendo Seal of Quality" (or an alternative game approval method) to enforce more stringent standards for third-party Wii games?

ME: No. The higher standards and fees were just one of the reasons N64 lost so many 'exclusives'. Nintendo, as all console manufacturers, have some say in what is released. However, as history has shown whomever has the largest, not best quality, library is who 'wins' the generation. NES, SNES, PS1, PS2 all had a quite a bit of shovelware. Wii will be no different, with or without a seal.

Are there any upcoming Wii titles for this year that you believe will help the system -- besides the Nintendo franchise titles (e.g. Super Smash Bros. Brawl)?

ME: At GDC and E3 I will know a lot more as I expect a ton of new games to be announced. As for what is known now...Baroque, Okami, PES2008, Monster Lab, Rock Band (its coming), Final Fantasy (WiiWare game), No More Heroes. I also think that this year might start some EA Sports titles that are not PS2 ports. Thus, quality games. If not then definitely next year.

A couple of thoughts.

First of all, why does Patcher think that the Wii won't be strong just based upon the Wii in 2009?

Second of all, why did no one ask these questions about the PS2 (or PSX) with the junk games published on it.

Third of all, I would love to have a copy of Chicken Shoot. I wish I had bought it for $20. If you have a complete copy (box, instructions) -- contact me.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Pachter thinks HDTV sales will make the Wii slow down, that's why.

kingofwale said:

You arn't exactly the average person though.  The average person doesn't look at reviews or anything.  They go by what "looks" good, and what "looks" popular.

More shelf space means it looks popular, more games mean it's more likely you'll find something that looks good to you.