By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Next Xbox will work even when your Internet doesn’t

gigantor21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
Still a rumor by this point but seeing as this i supposedly an email from MSFT then this seems to be the most plausible rumor of them all. It is very interesting ig this is true because it will mark a ton of sites as posting false information and the fans who went haywire (mostly fans of another company) will finally have to shutup about it.

I doubt that.

I'm leaning towards the PS4, myself, but ever since Sony stated they won't block used games outright I've had a hard time believing MS would be stupid enough to do such a thing by themselves. Especially when they charge for Live on top of that. A lot of people here sure wish they will be, though...

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say?  I wasn't even talking about used games, but for the record I've supported both Sony and MSFT blocking used games.  I wouldn't doubt if both have some way of doing this.  Maybe by letting developers/publishers  have the choice, idk.  As far as XBL it is hated on these forums but in real life it is also highly successful.  From the thing I've learned, it is not people who are fans of the Xbox complaining etc.  It is fans of other companies who had no intentions on buying an xbox anyways.  I'm just saying that they will have to shutup about internet. They can further complain about some other trivial reason.

Around the Network

That's excellent news if true. And here I thought that Microsoft was rapidly becoming the second EA.

Now just announce that the 720 won't be $500 and stop beating us over the head with Kinect and I'll be happy.

JayWood2010 said:
Still a rumor by this point but seeing as this i supposedly an email from MSFT then this seems to be the most plausible rumor of them all. It is very interesting ig this is true because it will mark a ton of sites as posting false information and the fans who went haywire (mostly fans of another company) will finally have to shutup about it.

The information is most probably correct and the Nextbox will indeed not be requiring "always online".

But that doesn't necessarily mean previous information was wrong by the time it was published. The whole wording of that eMail sounds like it was written as a reaction to the public outcry over "always online". So it's not clear if this eMail was simply for clarification, or because the universal public outcry caused Microsoft to reconsider their strategy. Remember that back at the time when these rumours came up, people already suggested that this rumor might just be a "test balloon" to see people's opinion on a subject Microsoft already feared could be very controversical.

But anyway, I don't think this will put an end to all the laments. Once people realize that the actual message between the lines really is the end of secondhand games, people will continue to complain.

maximrace said:
walsufnir said:
maximrace said:
Ah now let's see how this is spinned in something bad by the likes of vgking and friends

As I can read in GAF: What, arstechniwho? Positive news NextBox? Naaawww... Edge said otherwise, they are legit!

The next xbox can only be bad!!!! Sony ruleees the world :D

Believe! Ha! :) Well, I am wondering why this is posted at ars as this site to me is one of the most serious sites out there and especially does not exclusively rely on videogames. I somehow smell it's an intended "leak" but even if, it's ok.

I wouldn't have cared for always-online anyway.

i dont quite understand how you guys arent considering this a rumor, a "leaked" email lol

Around the Network

So everyone here is fine with blocked used/borrowed games? Ok....

mutantclown said:
So everyone here is fine with blocked used/borrowed games? Ok....

Wrong thread? And how can the gamestop-guy say "It's a hot, compelling device" to NextBox? Some people...

So, that means the next Xbox will keep my internet on even my isp crap out? That's awesome! I'll take 10, kthxplox.

ArnoldRimmer said:
JayWood2010 said:

The information is most probably correct and the Nextbox will indeed not be requiring "always online".

But that doesn't necessarily mean previous information was wrong by the time it was published. The whole wording of that eMail sounds like it was written as a reaction to the public outcry over "always online". So it's not clear if this eMail was simply for clarification, or because the universal public outcry caused Microsoft to reconsider their strategy. Remember that back at the time when these rumours came up, people already suggested that this rumor might just be a "test balloon" to see people's opinion on a subject Microsoft already feared could be very controversical.

But anyway, I don't think this will put an end to all the laments. Once people realize that the actual message between the lines really is the end of secondhand games, people will continue to complain.

Butbutbut, the ps4 will do this too? Keep spinning this positive news buddy!

bobgamez said:
i dont quite understand how you guys arent considering this a rumor, a "leaked" email lol

Because it is not released on a random blogging-site and reposted on N4G to make it more true but is released on arstechnica?