By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Next Xbox will work even when your Internet doesn’t

I have to say I don't understand the purpose of this e-mail within Microsoft. Maybe if I worked there or could at least read the whole thing it would make more sense. As it is, it just looks like the e-mail is meant to address the rumors directly, yet it was supposedly sent to full-time employees working on the next XBox... all of whom should already have known everything spelled out in the e-mail.

This line just seems like it's phrased weird, too: "Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

Specifically, "and yes playing a single player game," seems like a poor use of punctuation for an official, internal business memo. Shouldn't there be a couple more commas in there? "and, yes, playing a single player game." At that point, you may as well get rid of the "yes" entirely, since it sounds pretty unprofessional.

Anyway I don't really care; it will probably will not need a connection to play disc-based single-player games, regardless of the legitimacy of this e-mail.

Question though, doesn't the 360 boot all of your downloaded games as trials while you're not online?

Around the Network
JEMC said:
richardhutnik said:
JEMC said:

Geez, Msoft! Why couldn't you just "leak" this mail a month ago to put and end to the "always-on" rumor? See, it wasn't that hard.

But I hope that doesn't mean the end of used games...

Orthy backlash might of caused them to change plans.

Let's be realistic here, the reaction that the "always-on" feature caused wasn't unexpected or surprising. If that's what made them change their plans then they have a bigger problem as they don't understand their consumers/market.

And that is more worrisome.

If you check the state of the videogame industry being more worrisome about things makes complete sense.

Love how the reactions are to spin this as "Well Microsoft didn't realize it would be that bad till the interrnet erupted" but whatever.

Only two more weeks to go till we see the truth, and I'm sure this will be legit... but can't we wait just two more weeks? Gheeze.

It's just that simple.

But does it have Blast Processing?

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Around the Network

Backpedaling? hmm they're most certainly not denying an always online feature.

So it still doesn't make sense to address the feature as "always-online" if the final product will be just like current gen consoles , where "things expected to work offline, work offline". There's obviously something they're not telling. Take the "always on" feature for example, they make that claim to especifically differentiate the new console (which will have some sort of sleep mode) from the 360.

Also, the email sounds pretty vague for an employee only version. Unless of course it was given to bottom level employees to avoid another Deal-with-it fiasco, but even then it almost sounds made up.

echoesfromthepast said:
But does it have Blast Processing?

echoesfromthepast.

LOL!!

It's good to have a good rumor about the neXbox. I wouldn't even take this as proof either really but it is still a little comforting to hear. The21'st is days away. My sig'll tell ya!

Goatseye said:
Chris Hu said:
Some game features probably will require a internet connection. A good example is the 1000 Club DLC in Forza Horizon which can only be played when your console is connected to the internet.

Mass Effect 2 DLCs can only be played online. Never heeard a fuss about it. I'm against it all the way because I went on vacation to place where internet was not available and couldn't play "my" purchased good.

I wouldn't call that a proper vacation if you want to spent a good deal of it playing Mass Effect 2 DLC.

Damagon said:
Backpedaling? hmm they're most certainly not denying an always online feature.

So it still doesn't make sense to address the feature as "always-online" if the final product will be just like current gen consoles.

M$ have said some features on the 360 are "always online". The term is nothing new, watching NetFlix requires an always online feature. Fanboys and/or people who generally don't like Microsoft have just taken the ball and ran with it on this one. People who don't often visit forums like these have no idea about the "deal with it" fiasco either.

Chris Hu said:
Goatseye said:
Chris Hu said:
Some game features probably will require a internet connection. A good example is the 1000 Club DLC in Forza Horizon which can only be played when your console is connected to the internet.

Mass Effect 2 DLCs can only be played online. Never heeard a fuss about it. I'm against it all the way because I went on vacation to place where internet was not available and couldn't play "my" purchased good.

I wouldn't call that a proper vacation if you want to spent a good deal of it playing Mass Effect 2 DLC.

Why not? After 2 weeks beaches, b*****s and drinks get boring to me. So I have to recharge my energy. What do you want me to do? Visit museums?