Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 3: retail disc vs. digital delivery

riderz13371 said:
Barozi said:
riderz13371 said:
Barozi said:
riderz13371 said:
Barozi said:
Installs on PS3 are truly awful.

They are if your internet sucks. Thankfully mine doesn't.

lol read again. Hasn't anything to do with internet.

I didn't read the link. All I know is that I get a (approx) 4 MB/s download speed. I got nothing to complain about.

and I say it again. Download speed and install time are two completely seperate things.

Ohh you mean the little thing that takes 10 minutes right after the dl? Yeah I don't mind that either. I usually do my downloads as I'm going to bed. Just leave my PS3 on and it shuts off when the DL/Install is finished. Not that big of a deal. To call it "truly awful" is an hyperbole.

The fact that you have to download a huge ass game and then have to install it (on a console !) is awful. (not even mentioning the big patches that also need to be downloaded and installed....)
That was one of THE advantages of a console. Not having to install games to play them.

Also click on the link to see that it takes longer than 10 minutes. ME3 takes almost 40 minutes lol.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
riderz13371 said:
Barozi said:
riderz13371 said:
Barozi said:
riderz13371 said:
Barozi said:
Installs on PS3 are truly awful.

They are if your internet sucks. Thankfully mine doesn't.

lol read again. Hasn't anything to do with internet.

I didn't read the link. All I know is that I get a (approx) 4 MB/s download speed. I got nothing to complain about.

and I say it again. Download speed and install time are two completely seperate things.

Ohh you mean the little thing that takes 10 minutes right after the dl? Yeah I don't mind that either. I usually do my downloads as I'm going to bed. Just leave my PS3 on and it shuts off when the DL/Install is finished. Not that big of a deal. To call it "truly awful" is an hyperbole.

The fact that you have to download a huge ass game and then have to install it (on a console !) is awful. (not even mentioning the big patches that also need to be downloaded and installed....)
That was one of THE advantages of a console. Not having to install games to play them.

Also click on the link to see that it takes longer than 10 minutes. ME3 takes almost 40 minutes lol.

Good thing you don't have to sit there watching it install. You could do other things. You make it sound like it's the end of the world. 

Again, hyperbole. 

You pay $40 for a digital game but the fact is it really yours? Can you lend the digital game to a friend? Can you sell it after you are done with it? I pay $40 for a retail game and I can really do whatever I'm pleased with it. Lend it to friends or sell it back when you are done. Heck I can use it for a coaster if I like to.

The only problem I have with digital right now is that you have to wait for the store update just to buy it. Why it's not available at midnight or something on the day it comes out is beyond stupid to me.

I prefer disc. I like to have my physical collection with me.

- Frees up my HDD (no need to delete for space)
- Don't have to wait to download and install them (speed). I REALLY hate how long this can take, especially for larger games. inFAMOUS 2 took forever!

But they can be damaged and they my require a replacement which will cost some $. With PSN stuff they're forever tied to your account. Plus, if you don't like getting up and changing discs between sessions PSN games are very convenient in this sense.

I also don't like opening my account on my friends' PS3s, but with discs I can just walk with the game (Rayman Origins).

I also prefer discs in situations where the internet is dodgy. I tend to change games frequently, and my HDD is only 120 GB. With patches, games, DLC and updates that's a very small amount of space. So changing games may require me to delete older stuff in order to play the ones I am interested in, which may not be possible when the net is down (in developing countries this is a very real possibility).

If you travel a lot PSN is MUCH more convenient though. My collection is 70+ and growing, so I don't know how I'm going to fit all of that in my suitcase if I decide to return home after I finish my Masters in North America.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Around the Network
bonkers555 said:
You pay $40 for a digital game but the fact is it really yours? Can you lend the digital game to a friend? Can you sell it after you are done with it? I pay $40 for a retail game and I can really do whatever I'm pleased with it. Lend it to friends or sell it back when you are done. Heck I can use it for a coaster if I like to.

Agreed. End of gens you can also grab all your games, at least the ones you don't want to keep, your now old console and sell it on eBay and fetch a few hundred to put towards the next console. When I buy something, I like to be able to touch it.......

This makes me hope to God they have a hybrid drive in the PS4.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

riderz13371 said:
Barozi said:

Good thing you don't have to sit there watching it install. You could do other things. You make it sound like it's the end of the world. 

Again, hyperbole. 

Yeah play with a competitor's console for example. Glad you agree with me.

Barozi said:
riderz13371 said:
Barozi said:

Again, hyperbole. 

Yeah play with a competitor's console for example. Glad you agree with me.

And how does that mean I agree with you. Do you even know what this conversation is about. It's been a while since you last replied so you must have forgotten.

I just prefer retail, you can sell them when you're finished even though i rarely do for starters. Then, the games on PSN are far too expensive (i have seen old games on sale for £20 when they are £5 to £10 for retail! For example, GTA 4 retails for £20 on PSN even now) plus the games are far too big to download (it took me 6 to 7 hours to download Infamous!) and the standard PS3 hard drives are far too small for these downloadable games, unless you have the PS3 slim slim 500gb.

But, i just fail to understand why games cost £60 on PSN while the same game on steam costs £30 or £35.

I will hold on to retail copies for as long as i can, regardless of what gaming companies want

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018