By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Does the religious myth benefit modern society or not?

Is religion a benefit

Yes religion is a benefit to society 61 36.75%

No religion does not benefit society 31 18.67%

Religion is not helpfull but harmfull 61 36.75%

See results 12 7.23%

Total:165
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
scat398 said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

Religion is dominant in less educated and less sophisticated societies. The more educated and advanced society becomes there is little or no need for a belief in a superstitious, corrupt backwards religious belief system. Islam is widely linked to global terrorism/jihad. Widespread corruption, religious crusades and child sex abuse scandals have plagued Christian religions and sects. 

This is actually one of the great lies perpetuated by the left.  Studies have shown that the more advanced and prominent members of any country are likely to be more active in their church and the poor and less educated are less involved. 

Even in Islam, it is the more upwardly mobile who are more actve in their faith. 

It's always religion that gets blasted for the negatives but they never receive the credit for the positive things they bring...and their positives far outway the negatives.

Your 1950s McCarthy style propaganda  argument does not hold up. It is 2013 buddy and the Cold War and Communism ended over 20 years with the collapse of the Soviet Union and both China and Russia have moved away from Communism towards Capitalism. Religion in the western world has become irrelevant over the last 30 years as people no longer need religious influence in their lives. Jehovah's Witness and Christian cults doomsday predictions of the world coming to an end in 1975/84/99/2001/12 never happened. The Catholic church has been found out to be covering up pedophile Priests and nuns abusing children in orphanages over a long period of time. Muslim extremists were behind terrorist attacks: 9/11, London bombings, Madrid bombings, Boston bombings and countless other terrorist attacks around the world. The most advanced and wealthy members of society are now mainly atheists who only care for self, wealth and maintaining their power, control and influence. Society has changed since the 1950s/60s.

Well you have fun with your "the world has changed view" and see how far that gets you.  Guess what every generation thinks they have all figured out, but I guess you are one of those guys who knows so much about so many things that just aren't so.  Don't worry when your perfect non religious world falls apart, religion will still be there to lend you a hand when you are at your darkest moments,  and this coming from a guy that isn't even religious, 

Ill never deny the great things religion has brought to our world and like I've said before only a fool does not recognize this.

Around the Network
scat398 said:

Or those wonderful people that walk among you that commit suicide because their secular living does not place importance in the value of life.  ... See how it works both ways, religion does provide benefit and has provided far more good in the world than evil.

scat398 said:

That's actually not what i said but fortunately we have this great thing called research that shows people of faith are less likely to commit suicide, they are also shown to be happier overall.  Do you find this to be a difficult truth to accept.  The person I responded too originally had made a horrific and frankly very foolish statement and I was simply pointing out the flaw.

Show the proof that non-religious people see no value in life. Show me example of non-religious people that have committed suicide because of their lack of belieft in religion and not because of their individual circumstances.

My life has a lot of meaning and I don't need Someone to come and tell me it has. I give my life it's own meaning. You are completely wrong by saying a person who has no religion doesn't see meaning in life.

Show me that research and who came with it. If it even exist I bet it was some cualitative research that failed to take things in consideration like interviewing people in the same circumstances, with the same problems and with signals of depressions. I wouldn't be suriprised if they just asked a bunch of happy people that happened to be religious and that of course said: "Of course not, I wouldn't kill myself! Puff!".

But let us just believe your reseatch is accurate and say that there is more people without religion thinking about suicide in comparison to religious people. Now let us see how their suicides can affect society:

A person who suicides without religion:

A person who suicides with religion:

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1