By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Breaking: Nintendo sends direct message to Wii owners asking them to upgrade

Does Wii U have a marketing problem?

Yes 246 78.59%

Maybe 36 11.50%

No 30 9.58%

Total:312

"I've never seen a console need to be marketed like this before."

lol. I'll keep that in mind -- if Sony or Microsoft do anything out of the ordinary to market their next consoles, anything I've never seen before, it's because they're desperate and they NEED to do it.

Couldn't possibly be that the guys at Nintendo just said, "hey, how bout this?" No, this was some kind of last resort, more plan E than B, proof positive that Nintendo is pushing the big red panic button right now, because why else would they try something this dramatic??

Around the Network

It's a smart idea, and some free advertising, especially to clear up issues with understanding what the console is.

That said, I think it does suggest a problem, yes. But we've all known there was a problem for a long time. This is like watching a house catch on fire, five minutes later smelling smoke, and telling everyone that there just might be something burning because you smell smoke.

scottie said:
BenVTrigger said:
scottie said:

Spin bad news on Nintendo? In all honesty this may be the first ever "negative" Nintendo thread Ive ever made.  in 5 years. Most of my Nintendo threads are me raving about how awesome the 3DS is

Edit: Thank you.

Anyway, this might be a good way to encourage some additional sales, but I think they should have saved it for November - this might be enough to convince Wii owners to look into a WiiU, but there's no point doing that unless you can offer them enough compelling games they can't get on the Wii.

Uh......what?

I link to everything.  I make threads constantly.  Game Informer, Kotaku, Polygon, Giant Bomb.  Anything.  I pretty much just go around and grab big headline stories and make them into threads to try to keep the forums alive. I have litteraly zero beef with Nintendo other than I think they dropped the ball in several ways with Wii U.

I honestly didnt even read the 2K story.  I just copied and pasted it and made it a thread

sth88 said:
The fact that, almost two years after announcing the Wii U (and 5 1/2 months after releasing it), the general public still doesn't understand that it's a new console, is unbelievable. Nintendo's marketing is scrambling to make up for lost ground, and they've squandered one of their biggest advantages: going first in the next console generation.

You do know that 3.45m shipped (that Nintendo has been paid for, mind you) is about half of the lead the 360 created in its first year? This was achieved in 4.5 months. Hardly squandered. It needs games yes, but it's not like those will never come.

OT: It'll be interesting to see if this changes anything. Hopefully the rest of the message lists some games they can buy as well. Overall though, I see it as a good thing. Why not directly tell your audience that you have a new system? I say they should take it a step further and announce Nintendo Directs to Wii owners who then might watch  it, be enticed by the games and buy a Wii U.

ironmanDX said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Being that the the Wii was purchased primarily by non-gamers, I doubt 85% of the owners even will see that message because the console isnt even plugged into the internet.

%85... You're kidding right?

Casuals know how to use Wi-Fi on their phones, how would the Wii be a problem? It wouldn't.

I agree with you but %85 is to damn high!!

The neilsens reported higher internet use of the PS3 and 360 use while the system was still fresh. If it was lower than the PS3 and 360 almost every year of its existence. The chances of casual use of a gimmick wearing off is about a year to two years or less if no updates come. The novelty is replaced by something else, like Ipads, Kinects and other things of that ilk.

The chances are high to me the majority of the Wii fanbase isnt plugged in.

Around the Network

If I would get a mass message to my console from MS/Sony/Nintendo advertising their new console, I would think of it as spam and it would only discourage me from buying the new console. I don't like spam.

It's a trump card. It's risky, but powerful, and they need to do something to generate buzz.

Hopefully for them it will lead to more sales.

I would have lined up a blitz of advertising and sales. I guess we will see in the next few days.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
ironmanDX said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Being that the the Wii was purchased primarily by non-gamers, I doubt 85% of the owners even will see that message because the console isnt even plugged into the internet.

Casuals know how to use Wi-Fi on their phones, how would the Wii be a problem? It wouldn't.

The neilsens reported higher internet use of the PS3 and 360 use while the system was still fresh. If it was lower than the PS3 and 360 almost every year of its existence. The chances of casual use of a gimmick wearing off is about a year to two years or less if no updates come. The novelty is replaced by something else, like Ipads, Kinects and other things of that ilk.

You realize some use the Wii for Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon? Probably just dismiss it but if anything is a gimmick it is your comments.

You have zero facts to back up your bullshit statements. This is the last time I reply to any of your bullshit comments.

It's a good move. Altho it must be extremely awkward to be one of those who just bought a Wii and receive that message as soon as you setup your internet connection lol.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

sethnintendo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ironmanDX said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

You realize some use the Wii for Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon? Probably just dismiss it but if anything is a gimmick it is your comments.

You have zero facts to back up your bullshit statements. This is the last time I reply to any of your bullshit comments.

Yes some and neilsens last time I check stated that the highest the Wii got was probably 2011. You're very protective of Nintendo. The PS3 has the most usage of netflix than any other console. Nielsens even stated the Ipad and I products are higher on kids agendas today than the Wii U last year.