By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Builtlean: Guidelines to Lose Fat, Not Muscle

Scisca said:
JayWood2010 said:
Scisca said:
Yeah. Like I said - P90X doesn't cure cancer. It doesn't do everything. Just remember that they don't tell you anywhere that you're gonna be a bulky mother*** after finishing it. They say "you will be in the best shape of your life". And they deliver just that. You can't say that you don't build muscle at all with P90X, that's just crazy. It's not bodybuilding, but it's just silly to say something like this, cause it's well... impossible.

Your mistake probably is the same many people who work out a lot make - you think everyone who works out wants to build up big muscle - and this just isn't true. P90X gave me better results than going to gym. It gives me exactly what I want from it and what it says on the cover - I couldn't be happier.
Also note this sentence from your quote:

"I do think that P90X is the best at-home workout system you can buy without a doubt"

So why the hate? If someone starts P90X cause he wants to look like Schwarzenegger, he is either an idiot or endlessly ignorant. If a person doesn't know the first thing about working out and what a given workout can give him, it means he's a complete newbie who doesn't know what he's doing anyway and this workout is always a good start - also for such a person, cause at least it's gonna teach him some good habbits (a good warm up, cool down, stretching, etc.).
If you know what you want and you want something else - there is a number of other workouts from this very company, that can meet your needs. Wanna get some bulk? Go Body Beast. It really takes no more than 15 minutes to go through their whole web page and select a program that's best for you, if someone doesn't care to do that, why should you care about it? And more importantly, why would you attack a wonderful product like P90X?

To sum up - I really can't see what your point here is. P90X doesn't deliver what it doesn't promise to deliver? Well slap my ass and call me Sally!

Not exactly what I was saying.  My criticism of P90X is the lack of information and this false belief that people have that they are gaining a ton of muscle when in reality they are likely just losing fat and maybe adding little bit of muscle.  For ectomprophs it is a dead end workout.  

You are right that people have different goals and I definitely understand that.  I'd also never want to be the size of Arnold.  The 4 ideal sizes that comes to my mind are Brad Pitt, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Cruise, and Christian Bale.  These are all people who have maintained a moderate size with low body fat percentage keeping the lean cut look.  Not the bubble muscle look you see arnold having.  Not my thing.

To sum up what I was saying is there is better ways of doing this than p90x.  Do any kind of cardio workout or just lift weights while eating correctly will get you the same results as P90x.  That is my main criticism of it. They also have a guy by the name of Tony Horton (Which did not create the program)  being the coach.  That was a strategic manuever for business.  The body he has will not be obtained by doing p90x for the majority of people.  For people who needs a lot of guidance it is a good program to lose weight but I dont see much else out of the program.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing.  60% of the U.S. is overweight so that means P90X reaches out to close to 2/3 of the United States and would actually help them.  I just wish they would give more information on it than saying it is a science.  Most workout programs has a scientific method behind it.

Well, maybe you're right, but I don't think it justifies such bad word of mouth that you're giving it. Maybe I just know too much not to understand what P90X gives me, but then again - if you haven't got that basic knowledge, you're a newbie anyway and this workout can't be bad for you. I see P90X as kind of a starting point anyway, a first serious step into fitness, a good basis to work up from - and it's awesome at that. Also don't forget, that they don't say you're going to be bulky and big, the fact some people may think so, well - a complete lack of knowledge always hurts :P

PS. I'd add Ryan Reynolds to that list - a good list by the way, I also think this is what every guy should go for.

Oh yeah and Ryan Reynolds haha  I'd also put Taylor Lautner on that list although he is a horrible actor.

And yeah I agree it is a great starting point for people :)

Around the Network

I tried doing circuits. My chest gets really tight and I can't breath. My lung collapsed 6 years ago. I don't know if that's the cause or if I just developed asthma or something.

I can run a little less than I mile before I start weezing (outdoors) and a lot longer in. It's unfortunate because I am starting to gain a lot of weight. I used to be really skinny and like 135lbs. Now I'm probably close to 150-160 with it being fat.

Max King of the Wild said:
I tried doing circuits. My chest gets really tight and I can't breath. My lung collapsed 6 years ago. I don't know if that's the cause or if I just developed asthma or something.

I can run a little less than I mile before I start weezing (outdoors) and a lot longer in. It's unfortunate because I am starting to gain a lot of weight. I used to be really skinny and like 135lbs. Now I'm probably close to 150-160 with it being fat.

Circuits has a lot of cardio in it and if you have problems with your lungs I wouldn't recomend it.Try doing basic lifting routines if you can handle it and eat correctly.  It may take a little longer to lose the weight but slowly but surely you will get back to where you want to be.

JayWood2010 said:

Circuits has a lot of cardio in it and if you have problems with your lungs I wouldn't recomend it.Try doing basic lifting routines if you can handle it and eat correctly.  It may take a little longer to lose the weight but slowly but surely you will get back to where you want to be.

Thanks, I've been wanting to loose weight but couldn't. People have reccommended to keep doing cardio and my lung capacity and stamina will build up but I don't think they understand how painful it is.

I never thought of lifting weights because I didn't want to build muscle ontop of the fat. 150lbs wouldn't be bad if i were lean.

JayWood2010 said:

Thanks, I've been wanting to loose weight but couldn't. People have reccommended to keep doing cardio and my lung capacity and stamina will build up but I don't think they understand how painful it is.

I never thought of lifting weights because I didn't want to build muscle ontop of the fat. 150lbs wouldn't be bad if i were lean.

Lifting weights doesnt have to be for gaining muscle.  Lifting weights jconsumes calories though just like cardio.  You won't gain muscle unless you are taking in the proper amount of protein along with eating excess amount of calories. So just lift weights to get your heart racing a bit and eat correctly.  If that is still too painful for you maybe just walk a mile or two and eat correctly.  You should look up up  your basal metabolic rate (BMR).

Here is a video to help you a little bit. And I'll also post the BMR calculator below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKIuW_-03wQ&feature=youtu.be

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-cal...

Around the Network

You should get your lungs checked. I also have asthma but used to take different medicine to help my lungs and now it's better. When I jog, I still spit my lungs out after 100-150 meters, but I can run for kilometers after that ;)

@JayWood - Yeah, he's jacked the way a guy should be as well.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

JayWood2010 said:

If u have breathing problems when u run, just do a brisk walk instead, it still burns calories and is lower impact on ur knees and less raxing on the lungs. U can also slowly build ur way up to goin faster. As for lifting weights, if u do reletively light weights and high reps u will build muscle endurance and more lean muscle opposed to getting bulky

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.