By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS4 outsell the XBox One and WiiU?

Daisuke72 said:

Here's the thing, the PC market isn't for casual gamers or the lot of console gamers. Most of my friends only have their consoles for CoD and any other game they see as cool like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Gears, Halo, and a few exceptions. 

I literally have one friend who's into PC gaming and he's the friend that's not friends with my others, cause he's....yeah. He likes playing WoW, LoL, and shit like that. Thing is, the PC market for casual gamers is so small that only nerds play games like LoL, and WoW, and even less PC Game for CoD, and bettter looking multiplats.

PC isn't for casual gamers? You're kidding right? Look no farther than The Sims franchise, it printed money for EA, the franchise in it's entirety has over 100 million units sold on PC since its launch in 2000. - That's not a hardcore gamers game by any stretch.

To put that in perspective, that's more than the amount of any singular console brand sold this generation to date, be it the Wii, PS3 or Xbox 360.

Shall I provide more examples? :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Komicturtle said:
Honestly, people who think the PS4 or 720 will sell boatloads will soon be hit with reality. It's funny to me how those who say "Wii U only sold well initially because of those fanboys", yet, that same logic can also be applied for every other console launch and the upcoming next gen consoles. If you think an average consumer will pick up a PS4 or next-Box for over $400, you're sadly mistaken.

At the end of the day, arguing over which console is better or whether Wii U is considered current or next gen is really pointless. From my point of view, I think the Wii U will do just fine and frankly the leap just isn't as big as people are making it out to be. Yes, more RAM on PS4 makes the Wii U look anemic, but I really think Sony did that to future proof PS4 as this upcoming gen goes down the line. 6.5GB of RAM will not be used in its entirety for another 2 or so years, I think. I'm extremely optimistic about the Wii U's future and cannot wait for the great games to come my way. I'm also looking forward to playing Splinter Cell, Watch Dogs and ACIV (among other fantastic 3rd party titles) along with my Pikmin, Marios, Kirby, Zelda, etc. As for the PS4. I'll probably get it in 2 years when the price comes down and when they through some nifty bonuses because knowing how strong the competition is going to be between MS and Sony, I know both will try to undercut each other.

Sony's consoles has never been a personal priority for me, just as everyone else has their preferences and view points. I like how Nintendo is trying to be different and spice up the gaming industry with their ideas. Hopefully the Wii U follows the success of the DS/3DS and not the Wii, GCN and N64. Nintendo's handhelds always got the best treatment, and as someone who prefers handhelds over consoles/PC, the concept behind the Wii U excites me.

As for the next Xbox, I really have no interest. Microsoft is far too reliant on 3rd party software and they let some great IPs go to waste (looking at you RARE). That's why for me, PS4 will probably be the go to place to get your amazing games made in-house by Sony as well the fantastic 3rd party titles that console is bound to get. I'm truly excited for the future of Wii U and PS4 (and subsequently, 3DS), and all this incessant bickering really needs to come to an end. It's never going to happen, but people really need to burn them "Fanboy" cards they stack up in their deck and play out all the time. It's meaningless and tacky, and often, used on the wrong people anyhow.

Everyone needs a bit of optimism. Try it.

Amen brother. 

goopy20 said:
Zero999 said:
goopy20 said:
snowdog said:
Nobody has said it will pump out visuals anywhere near the quality of the PS4's. We're just saying that the difference isn't going to be huge. Like I've said before we'll end up with PC Medium settings vs PC High or Very High settings in terms of IQ.

Like I said a million times, it won't be anything like the difference between medium and high setting for a pc game. It will be totally different types of games, where you have the most talented developers on the planet trying to squize every bit of performance out of the ps4. I am excited because we will see the most amazing looking games mankind has ever seen plastered on screen. Who knows if some developers decide to go sub 1080p and 30 fps to get those results. But what isn't going to happen though is developers using the weakest console, that is barely more powerful then consoles that are already at the end of their lifecycle, as the lead platform and tweak the ps4 version with a higher res and some sharper textures that most people won't even notice. 

I really don't know why some get so offended by these facts though. Did you seriously buy a Wii because you wanted eyeball-melting-next-gen-graphics, or did u buy it to play Nintendo franchises like Pikmin that don't need kick ass graphics in the first place?

bolded: thankfully what you say doesn't change the truth

bolded 2: keep dreaming (i lost track how many times i said that to you)

bolded3: when someone tries so hard to diminish the console of other's choice, it's pretty easy to get offended.

I think you just got things all confused man. I never diminished the Wii U, in fact I said it's awesome if you enjoy the iconic Nintendo franchises. Don't blame me though when developers (not me) are calling it a current gen console. It shouldn't bother you one bit because you still get them 3D Mario's, Pikmin and Mario Kart's. All I said is that if you want to see games running on next gen engines like the UET4, then you picked the wrong console. 

Nothing wrong with that but you can't expect the major core gaming population to do the same and expect a huge sales boost from next gen games on the Wii U. It only makes sense that core gamers (and developers) are going to ignore the Wii U, just like they are doing now. It's not a prediction, it's already happening. You can blame developers in the coming 6 years for sucking, or you can just face reality dude.

Developers aren't going to have any say in what is and what isn't coming to the Wii U this gen. It's the publishers that make those decisions, and now that Nintendo have released a console that isn't as severely underpowered as the Wii was last gen, now they've released a console with a similar architecture to the other two this gen, now that they've released a console with a standard rendering pipeline and now that they're going to have the same advantage that the 360 had with its year's head start those publishers aren't going to ignore the console once it has sold a boatload due to the likes of Wii Fit, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 being released.

The problem the Wii U has at the moment, and has had since it launched, is a lack of games. This is being addressed. I'm personally expecting the Wii U to sell at least 8m, but more likely over 10m units before the end of the year. I'm also expecting the PS4 and 720 to perform worse than the Wii U launches aligned due to being ridiculously more expensive, they should do okay around Christmas but going into the launch window both Sony and Microsoft are going to struggle to shift units.

As for being a 'fanboy', you couldn't be further from the truth. I own all 3 consoles from last gen and don't think much of most of the Nintendo franchises. Metroid and Zelda are great but Mario has to be one of the most annoying characters in video game history. The Super Mario Galaxy games were great, but there's only so many Whoo-Hoos and Whee-Hees I can stand before I want to throw something at my telly lol. I have had to play those games in very small doses.

The publishers hold the purse strings at the end of the day, and if both the PS4 and 720 struggle to sell you'll see projects being canned and moved to the Wii U, the same way that Capcom did with Monster Hunter years ago.

sales2099 said:
Since they are launching at the same time, MS would need a Wii casual sales effect, one that would compensate for Europe and Japan having a predisposition for Sony products.

na, its just playstation.

Komicturtle said:
Honestly, people who think the PS4 or 720 will sell boatloads will soon be hit with reality. It's funny to me how those who say "Wii U only sold well initially because of those fanboys", yet, that same logic can also be applied for every other console launch and the upcoming next gen consoles. If you think an average consumer will pick up a PS4 or next-Box for over $400, you're sadly mistaken.

At the end of the day, arguing over which console is better or whether Wii U is considered current or next gen is really pointless. From my point of view, I think the Wii U will do just fine and frankly the leap just isn't as big as people are making it out to be. Yes, more RAM on PS4 makes the Wii U look anemic, but I really think Sony did that to future proof PS4 as this upcoming gen goes down the line. 6.5GB of RAM will not be used in its entirety for another 2 or so years, I think. I'm extremely optimistic about the Wii U's future and cannot wait for the great games to come my way. I'm also looking forward to playing Splinter Cell, Watch Dogs and ACIV (among other fantastic 3rd party titles) along with my Pikmin, Marios, Kirby, Zelda, etc. As for the PS4. I'll probably get it in 2 years when the price comes down and when they through some nifty bonuses because knowing how strong the competition is going to be between MS and Sony, I know both will try to undercut each other.

Sony's consoles has never been a personal priority for me, just as everyone else has their preferences and view points. I like how Nintendo is trying to be different and spice up the gaming industry with their ideas. Hopefully the Wii U follows the success of the DS/3DS and not the Wii, GCN and N64. Nintendo's handhelds always got the best treatment, and as someone who prefers handhelds over consoles/PC, the concept behind the Wii U excites me.

As for the next Xbox, I really have no interest. Microsoft is far too reliant on 3rd party software and they let some great IPs go to waste (looking at you RARE). That's why for me, PS4 will probably be the go to place to get your amazing games made in-house by Sony as well the fantastic 3rd party titles that console is bound to get. I'm truly excited for the future of Wii U and PS4 (and subsequently, 3DS), and all this incessant bickering really needs to come to an end. It's never going to happen, but people really need to burn them "Fanboy" cards they stack up in their deck and play out all the time. It's meaningless and tacky, and often, used on the wrong people anyhow.

Everyone needs a bit of optimism. Try it.

You're right if we are just talking about units sold at launch. However, people in this thread are trying to predict how this whole console generation will play out. A year after the new consoles launch they will probably be 299,- already and price will be less of an issue.

I also like the way Nintendo innovates and keep things fresh with it's unique franchises. But since we are predicting how all consoles will perform, the Wii U just seems to have put itself in a bit of a rough position compared to the other 2 consoles. It's obviously not getting the big next gen 3rd party games, even though it tries to lure in the core gamer as well. So what Nintendo should do is focus on the casual market again and promote the Wii U as the most family friendly of the bunch, and not for it's uber realistic graphics. If they can do that, like they did with the Wii, then the Wii U will no doubt sell a ton of units. But people who bought it for next gen graphics should just sell it asap and wait for november. 

Around the Network

There's no way that the PS4 or 720 will retail for $299 after a year on the market, not knowing what we do about the hardware and what's bundled in the box.

Microsoft might manage a $399.99 price at launch if they didn't bundle Kinect 2.0 with it, but can you really see that happening..?

And Sony have recently said they're not going to make a huge loss on each unit sold. We're talking about an 8 core CPU, a GPU pushing 1.8TFlops, 8GB of GDDR5, a camera bar with 2 cameras and a Move/DS3 hybrid.

I really can't see either one of them releasing for less than $400, more like $499.99.

snowdog said:
There's no way that the PS4 or 720 will retail for $299 after a year on the market, not knowing what we do about the hardware and what's bundled in the box.

Microsoft might manage a $399.99 price at launch if they didn't bundle Kinect 2.0 with it, but can you really see that happening..?

And Sony have recently said they're not going to make a huge loss on each unit sold. We're talking about an 8 core CPU, a GPU pushing 1.8TFlops, 8GB of GDDR5, a camera bar with 2 cameras and a Move/DS3 hybrid.

I really can't see either one of them releasing for less than $400, more like $499.99.

I could totally see microdoft releasing next box with kinect 2.0 bundled and necessary for the system. it would have moderate specs ( 1 Tflop, 8 gb ddr3 Ram tops) and retail at 399 with some loss.

The PS3 equals/overtakes the XBOx 360 on the eve of the announcement of the Next XBox. Both PS4 and Next BOx are due for launch later this year. PS3 was more successful than XBox 360 in terms of console sales definitive objective proof of determining success in a console generation. The PS4 is likely to follow in the footsteps of PS1/PS2/PS3 and become a highly successful video game console outselling its rivals.

Zero999 said:
snowdog said:

I could totally see microdoft releasing next box with kinect 2.0 bundled and necessary for the system. it would have moderate specs ( 1 Tflop, 8 gb ddr3 Ram tops) and retail at 399 with some loss.

The problem is that the BOM benefits that 8GB of DDR3 and a 1.1TFlop GPU bring to the table are going to be cancelled out by bundling Kinect 2.0 with the system. There has been a strong rumour doing the rounds that they're going to have 2 SKUs - a $299.99 SKU with a 2 year commitment to Live Gold at $15 per month and a non-subscription SKU available for $499.99, which would leave you needing to make (cheaper) arrangements for Live Gold on top. The latter SKU would be miles better value.

I can't see either one of the PS4 or 720 retailing under $400, which is going to cause huge problems with sales after Christmas.

snowdog said:
Zero999 said:
snowdog said:

The problem is that the BOM benefits that 8GB of DDR3 and a 1.1TFlop GPU bring to the table are going to be cancelled out by bundling Kinect 2.0 with the system. There has been a strong rumour doing the rounds that they're going to have 2 SKUs - a $299.99 SKU with a 2 year commitment to Live Gold at $15 per month and a non-subscription SKU available for $499.99, which would leave you needing to make (cheaper) arrangements for Live Gold on top. The latter SKU would be miles better value.

I can't see either one of the PS4 or 720 retailing under $400, which is going to cause huge problems with sales after Christmas.

then less RAM memory for them, I just think microsoft could come with a console that's not ridiculosly expensive. But then again, they're the ones with the most chances of taking losses thanks to the infinite money cheat.