By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS4 outsell the XBox One and WiiU?

Daisuke72 said:

But the PS3 is selling at a $249 price point, where as the PS2 was selling at $149 or something close to the figure. Can't crunch numbers like that until the PS3 gets an overdue price cut, which will drastically effect its sales.

so late in it's life price cut's won't have a lasting effect as in the prime years.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
Lawlight said:
Zero999 said:
Lawlight said:
Nintendo fans are eager for this gen to end because the only way they can claim that Nintendo won. Of course, when you look for a winner, you look for the one which sold the most - not the one who sold the most in an arbitrary period of time.

it's actually the other way around, sony fans are eager for the generation to last as long as possible because that's the only way they have a slight chance to say that sony "won".

I'll spell it for you - it doesn't matter how long a gen lasts. The winner is the one who ends up selling the most. And you and me know that it's not going to be the Nintendo Wii.

neither me nor you know that. but so far wii is 25M ahead, and the only way for ps3 to have a slight chance to close that gap is selling well for a long time. ps3 is selling moderately now, it will sell little next year and nearly nothing the 1 or 2 years after if it isn't discontinued before. ps2 is still on the market because it was still selling well, it got 7M on 2009, it's 9th year. ps3 is gonna sell 8M on it's 7th year (2013) so considering the decline it should have a smaller life than ps2 so i'm guessing 10 years. it won't be enough to pass the wii.

25M ahead? I'd say closer to 23-22M ahead. Can I ask you? How did you get that the PS3 is selling moderately now? PS3 + PS2 sold 15.6M in 2012. Take out about 2.5M for the PS2 (it's probably less since Sony discontinued it) and you've got 13M PS3s sold in 2012. So, I ask you - how did you get that PS3 is selling moderately now?

Zero999 said:
Daisuke72 said:

But the PS3 is selling at a $249 price point, where as the PS2 was selling at $149 or something close to the figure. Can't crunch numbers like that until the PS3 gets an overdue price cut, which will drastically effect its sales.

so late in it's life price cut's won't have a lasting effect as in the prime years.

How do you know that?

Well the important facts

1. The Wii U is a failed concept but its success depends on the price and offer of the other consoles

2. For the PS4, unless there's really bad surprise hidden, lots of gamers are convinced, Sony continues on the strong image build with the PS3 that is continuing to sell, and they have lots of internal studios with proven AAA IPs.

So it will all depends on the price of the console, services and games

3. Microsoft has a medium position. They sold lots of Xbox 360 but are loosing momentum compared to the PS3, there's not a lot of internal studio IPs but Halo or Alan Wake. And they also have very bad rumors about always online and DRMs which, if true, will sure make it a failure, leaving the open field for a large PS4 win and a secondary Wii U win.

If not, it will also depend on the prices, but if it has good IPs, then it'll be a race between PS4 and Nextbox.

- So in short, the Wii U survival will depend on the price and function of the Nextbox and PS4. If the two console manage to have affordable prices, offline/no DRM games, and other incentives like blu-ray player, Xbox Live/PSN etc...the Wii U is dead.

Then in the case of a PS4 vs Nexbox, it all depends on what Microsoft initially announces.

Tachikoma said:
Dr.JimmyRustles said:
@Tachikoma

Hate to tell you this but, the strongest console never won a generation.

Hate to tell you this but you forgot to put your tin foil hat on this morning, Also the SNES had more power and resources than the Megadrive, despite Sega's marketing spin the Motorola 68000 processor lacked game specific functions present in Nintendo's custom 5A22, despite the M68000 running at twice the speed of the 5A22 the porcessors maximum MIPS was 0.7 apposed to the 5A22's 1.5 MIPS, the overclocked M68000 used in the NeoGeo of the same console generation ran at a maximum 1.25 MIPS, too.

I really wish people would actually do some research before spouting the 'strongest console never won a generation' because it just shows how ill informed they are and makes them sound like absolute nutcases.

Funny how you have to go back 20 years in the past to find an exception to the rule...

Also, with all the add-on, the Sega Genesis (or Megadrive) was more powerful than SNES.

Around the Network
atma998 said:
Tachikoma said:
Dr.JimmyRustles said:
@Tachikoma

Hate to tell you this but you forgot to put your tin foil hat on this morning, Also the SNES had more power and resources than the Megadrive, despite Sega's marketing spin the Motorola 68000 processor lacked game specific functions present in Nintendo's custom 5A22, despite the M68000 running at twice the speed of the 5A22 the porcessors maximum MIPS was 0.7 apposed to the 5A22's 1.5 MIPS, the overclocked M68000 used in the NeoGeo of the same console generation ran at a maximum 1.25 MIPS, too.

I really wish people would actually do some research before spouting the 'strongest console never won a generation' because it just shows how ill informed they are and makes them sound like absolute nutcases.

Funny how you have to go back 20 years in the past to find an exception to the rule...

Also, with all the add-on, the Sega Genesis (or Megadrive) was more powerful than SNES.

"Rule"?.....

How is it a rule? Do you know what a rule is? Why use such strong, and idiotic word choice?

I was going to post something longer but I felt that it'd be a waist of my time, but to be fair, you're an idiot. 

---

User was moderated for this post.

~tads12

Dr.JimmyRustles said:
@max

A generation is over when a new system is released, I thought everyone knew this. If it makes you feel any better I will say were between 7th and 8th atm.

Okay, Wii "will never hit 100m", then. since you know, the generation is over and suddenly sales of the previous console no longer matter, right?

atma998 said:
Tachikoma said:
Dr.JimmyRustles said:
@Tachikoma

32X is pseudo 5th gen because it was a cast of from saturn development to extend the life of the genesis and pad out sales while the usebase of the saturn expanded (which it never did) - the hardware employed, was 32bit, the time period of release was during the emergence of 5th gen and the original intent of the hardware was to bridge the gap between megadrive and saturn, as such it's not true 4th gen and shouldn't be included in the discussion, for all intents and purposes the 32x was it's own console using only the logic bus, sound and video encoder of the base unit to output gameplay - the cpu of the connected console was largely ignored except for processor timings for setting region locking and 50/60hz switching on video encoder - in short, the 32x was an early 5th gen console that biggybacked on a 4th gen console.

Also, if people insist on continuing with "the most powerful console never won a gen" then it doesn't matter how far back you go, if an instance exists the statement is wrong, simple as that.

If the PS3 continues to sell as well as many of you are saying, then it will actually cut into the PS4 sales don't you think?

g911turbo said:
If the PS3 continues to sell as well as many of you are saying, then it will actually cut into the PS4 sales don't you think?

You assume the people buying Ps3's now for 250$ 7 years after release are the same people who will buy a ps4 for a high price and be an initial adopter...