By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Is Aware That People Believe That WiiU Is Underpowered And Says This Is A Misunderstanding

twilight_link said:
ethomaz said:
twilight_link said:

3rd party support from major publishers is not important for Nintendo to became successful, and never was, those who scream are not Nintendo fans they are at best those who left Nintendo generations ago and today they scream, NES was not successful because 3rd party supported them, neither was SNES neither was Game Boy nor Wii or DS.

Today 3DS is successful and 3rd party support is not behind the success and regardless of how powerful WiiU actually is, only success of 1st and 2nd party output decide if it becomes a success or not.

The truth is 3rd party support is highly dangerous for them.

I disagree.. the NES and SNES have a huge third-party support... the games that makes me buy SNES was in the most part third-party games like Internation Super Star Soccer (maybe the most fun soccer game of all the time), Stree Fighter, Top Gear, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Ghost n Globling, Megaman, etc.

I'm glad I have all the Mario games too.. and Zelda, StarFox and the best Metroid ever created (with the best song too).

But they had a stronge third-party support.

And 3DS have a great third-party support too... so I don't get your point.

there certainly was 3rd party support but the 3rd party support was NOT key factor for their success, perhaps with exception of SQUARE, Enix in their homeland.

On the other hand success of Sony and Microsoft depends entirely on 3rd party support

Third party was a key factor in the success of the NES and SNES. Sega had the press that it was the mature console while nintendo was the kiddy one for a while and funded their own first party to combat Nintendos vice-like grip on third party. Once their marketshare rose, third parties went to Sega, but nothing really changed.

Once Nintendo lost third party support and Sony took it, Nintendo hasnt won a gen until the Wii gimmick.

Around the Network

Saying third parties weren't a key for the NES/SNES is written by someone who clearly was too young or not even born when the NES/SNES were out, lol.

The breadth of games was the no.1 reason the buy the NES back in the day. Sega had great games on the Sega Master System, everyone liked their arcade games, sure, but you didn't want to get stuck with a Sega because it didn't have all the games the NES did (good or bad, that meant Ninja Turtles, Batman, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Megaman 2, Blades of Steel, etc. etc.).

Nintendo has basically become Sega of the Master System era, basically trying to sell a platform on their own games, whereas the 360/PS3 sorta have morphed into the modern NES (widest variety of games, all the developer support).

Soundwave said:

Saying third parties weren't a key for the NES/SNES is written by someone who clearly was too young or not even born when the NES/SNES were out, lol.

The breadth of games was the no.1 reason the buy the NES back in the day. Sega had great games on the Sega Master System, everyone liked their arcade games, sure, but you didn't want to get stuck with a Sega because it didn't have all the games the NES did (good or bad, that meant Ninja Turtles, Batman, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Megaman 2, Blades of Steel, etc. etc.).

Nintendo has basically become Sega of the Master System era, basically trying to sell a platform on their own games, whereas the 360/PS3 sorta have morphed into the modern NES (widest variety of games, all the developer support).

You are only referring to the Wii being like the Sega Genesis, because the Wii U has great Western games with great Western 3rd Party Support.

The 3DS has the best Japanese 3rd Party Support and good Western 3rd Party Support. And the DS had great 3rd party support from both. GBA & GameCube had great 3rd Party support, but PS2 had even greater 3rd Party support.

oniyide said:
Leadified said:
oniyide said:
Leadified said:

I dont think they have that kind of system to be honest with you. They are trying to do the WIi thing all over again. Dont do an actual generational leap, and just give the people something funky, like the wiimote before. Problem is no one cares about the pad right now, SO they dont have that and they were kinda banking on it.

The Wii U has more than enough to show off it's a step up from the PS3 and Xbox 360. If Nintendo will acutally show that off is another story.

Just like they had with the Wii? Some how i doubt that, but hell the system did come out, maybe in about five years we will see games looking a step up from PS360, considering how Wii turned out, im remaining skeptical.

But the wii actually had worse specs compared to the original xbox overall..  Secondly the wii was a popular hit with casual whereas the Wiiu is more core focused. So the type of games on the system will more often be the graphics based games.  The wiiu will definetely get pushed more and more as time goes on.

The wiiu is a great console and people shouldn't be bad mouthing it. Every console has a certain level of power and quite often in the past the power hasn't defined the system. PS2 was fantastic despite sub par specs. The wiiu is gonna to offer a great lineup of exclusives and is really a fun experience. I'm playing batman on it right now and the controller definetely adds to the experience.

Kaizar said:
Soundwave said:

You are only rendering to the Wii being like the Sega Genesis, because the Wii U has great Western games with great Western 3rd Party Support.

The 3DS has the best Japanese 3rd Party Support and good Western 3rd Party Support. And the DS had great 3rd party support from both. GBA & GameCube had great 3rd Party support, but PS2 had even greater 3rd Party support.

Not I'm referring to the SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, as in Sega actually had a system before the Genesis, lol (Google it).

It was pretty much a system that was supported by Sega alone because Nintendo in those days had a deal that NES developers had to remain exclusive. In large part this is why Nintendo had a virtual monopoly on the console business in the 8-bit days.

The Sega Genesis had fantastic third party suport, that was a different story.

Around the Network
Kaizar said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
Nintendo really dug themselves in a ditch that they can't possibly get out this time! I'm not trying to troll but Nintendo needs to just go third party, their games will always sell millions regardless

The Nintendo 3DS is becoming more better then the PS2, so what are you talking about.

The Wii U did other better then PS3 & 360 but less better then Wii.

Are sure about the bold part? Because Wii U is already performing below PS3 and 360... it is below in lifetime sales for the same period.

ethomaz said:
Kaizar said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
Nintendo really dug themselves in a ditch that they can't possibly get out this time! I'm not trying to troll but Nintendo needs to just go third party, their games will always sell millions regardless

The Nintendo 3DS is becoming more better then the PS2, so what are you talking about.

Are sure about the bold part? Because Wii U is already performing below PS3 and 360... it is below in lifetime sales for the same period.

Well, I really meant first 1 month & first 3 month.

It looks like the first 6 months will be below PS3 & 360, since it currently is, and near the first 6 months already.

But the fact that it had a much more better launch shows that people are more willing to buy Wii U then PS3 & 360. Which means it just needs more games, and it should eventually be above the PS3 & 360 by during this Summer or this Holiday.

cunger said:
oniyide said:
Leadified said:
oniyide said:
Leadified said:

I dont think they have that kind of system to be honest with you. They are trying to do the WIi thing all over again. Dont do an actual generational leap, and just give the people something funky, like the wiimote before. Problem is no one cares about the pad right now, SO they dont have that and they were kinda banking on it.

The Wii U has more than enough to show off it's a step up from the PS3 and Xbox 360. If Nintendo will acutally show that off is another story.

Just like they had with the Wii? Some how i doubt that, but hell the system did come out, maybe in about five years we will see games looking a step up from PS360, considering how Wii turned out, im remaining skeptical.

But the wii actually had worse specs compared to the original xbox overall..  Secondly the wii was a popular hit with casual whereas the Wiiu is more core focused. So the type of games on the system will more often be the graphics based games.  The wiiu will definetely get pushed more and more as time goes on.

The wiiu is a great console and people shouldn't be bad mouthing it. Every console has a certain level of power and quite often in the past the power hasn't defined the system. PS2 was fantastic despite sub par specs. The wiiu is gonna to offer a great lineup of exclusives and is really a fun experience. I'm playing batman on it right now and the controller definetely adds to the experience.

Yeah, the single-player-asymetrical-gaming is awesome.

Theres also ZombiU & Nintendo Land & Game and Wario & Wii U golf prototype & who knows what else that shows off the great unique exclusive things you can't do on anything else.

Kaizar said:
ethomaz said:
Kaizar said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

Well, I really meant first 1 month & first 3 month.

It looks like the first 6 months will be below PS3 & 360, since it currently is, and near the first 6 months already.

But the fact that it had a much more better launch shows that people are more willing to buy Wii U then PS3 & 360. Which means it just needs more games, and it should eventually be above the PS3 & 360 by during this Summer or this Holiday.

Not really, I think that just means Nintendo has a group of about 1 million extremely hardcore followers that will basically buy any console/handheld upon release.

The 360 was supply retrained so it's impossible to know exactly what MS could've sold their first couple of weeks, though my guess is they easily could've sold double what they shipped.

The PS3 was $600 freaking dollars but still had a better first December than the Wii U going by NPD and has outpaced the Wii U in its first Jan-March also.

The Wii U has had basically one solid week in North America (launch week) and a couple of OK weeks in Japan and that's it. It hasn't really even put together one great month yet.

The Wii U did get some decent releases last month, Monster Hunter, Need For Speed, LEGO City, Dragon Quest X (Japan) ... and none of them caused a blip. Unless the benchmark now is that Nintendo themselves must release a huge IP every month to keep the system afloat (which isn't realistic). They were never going to launch with Mario + Mario Kart + Zelda in the first 9 months.

The problem with the wii-u is that it is under powered compared to ... the PS3/Xbox360... I dont mean it's worse powered, but considering that tech is 6-7 years old, its just not far enough advanced.

Biggest issue is that will the wii-u get left behind by third parties in 2-3 years time when they start to drop the current gen consoles and work on next gen only? Some 3rd parties have already stopped making games for it.

The only company that can bring this back from the brink right now is nintendo. Make a number of fantastic looking 1st party games. This is what Sony had to do with the PS3.. everyone slated it, people were not making games initially for it, and some of those games didnt look great, but once they started to show what was possible, that gives people a positive feeling about what the console can do.