By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Is Aware That People Believe That WiiU Is Underpowered And Says This Is A Misunderstanding

Hynad said:
RazorDragon said:
Hynad said:
RazorDragon said:
Hynad said:

Nice spin. Ha ha ha

But we know it was real time. They played that part during Jimmy Fallon's show. Why isn't this getting through to your head, I wonder.

Thanks for the compliment.

Anyway, the "controller problem" Jimmy Fallon and the other guest who also played the game had was strange at best, specially considering that when the Sony guy played, everything seemed to go normally. I'm not saying it wasn't real time, but I also can't be 100% sure that it was running at real time because of what happened during the gameplay.

Controller problem? What happened during the gameplay?

Never occured to you that what happened was nothing more than Fallon and Anderson sucking really bad at video games? -__-

See the video and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Yeah, they might just suck at it... Or there could be a video running instead of actual gameplay and the only actor there was the guy from Sony, therefore, they simulated controller problems when Fallon and the other guy tried to play.

I watched the video quite a few times. And Fallon was doing fine, even if he's just bad at games. But when Anderson took the controller, he sucked big time. If you think that was staged, seriously, there's no point arguing further with you. Reality will do the rest. Ha ha ha.

I never said it was staged. I said it could've been. You're absolutely right, though, there's no point arguing further. Let's wait Killzone 4's release and then we'll see.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kaizar said:

He clearly means that there is a misunderstanding if the Wii U amongst current systems.....PS3 & 360.

A lot of people still believe that the Wii U is underpowered in some area compare to the PS3 & 360.

Its not comparable to the coming consoles, its only comparable to the PS3 & 360. Look at the multiplat back to back videos. Its current gen par tech but people need to get over whether its next gen or not, its Nintendos next gen and thats fine with me. Iwata doesn't need to do damage control.

Yeah, but he can introduce some new people to Nintendo, which would give some boost to the first 2 years of the systems life spam.

Plus he needs to address the stock holders on every different thing that Nintendo can do to help sales of the Wii U.

Most Nintendo stock holders don't really know anything about video games, except that no matter how much of a bad wrap Nintendo gets from every place possible, that Nintendo still sales so much more then the competition.

We got to remember that these statements from Iwata are on him addressing stock holders about the current Wii U sales, and what are all the different things that Nintendo can do to make the Wii U sales prime for a Home Console during its 1st year on the market at original full price.

AHeavenly Sigma said:
So skip E3 then inform people that you aren't under powered. While the newer more powerful systems come out during the holidays. Is it just me or is something wrong with this stategy.

He's addressing the by this Summer.

The PS4 & 720 won't come out til November at earliest.

Im sure all those japanese developers who still have jobs 6 years from now won't mind either way.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
Im sure all those japanese developers who still have jobs 6 years from now won't mind either way.

Of course not, most of them arent pushing tech and are making the same types of RPG's and games. Some are trying to follow western ideals with their own spin but with lower budgets. Its a toss up on the profitability but more jobs will be lost in the industry. 

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
JazzB1987 said:
KylieDog said:

Thats just moving goalposts.

When people say WiiU is underpowered that are saying it will not produce PS4/360 quality* of games.  And it won't.

*in every way.

So people use wrong words not because they dont know any better but because they do it on purpose? thats much better xD

Why do we base quality on PS4? or nextbox?   Mario Galaxy looked better than maybe 50% of PS360 games.

1. Not wrong words, right words.  Iwata just being ignorant and refusing to acknowledge the meaning of the words and is using his own definition, which is worthless when replying to other peoples use of it.

2. Get your eyes checked.

I deleted the rest because I feel would be a waste of time reading/replying to it.

Some people refuse to see the difference between subjective taste and the fact of technical growth. Because of Nintendos disadvatages most people who find their games to be superior are viewing things based on subjective taste dealing with art direction. They like to put a spin on things just because Nintendo has been behind for two gens.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
KylieDog said:
JazzB1987 said:
KylieDog said:

When people say WiiU is underpowered that are saying it will not produce PS4/360 quality* of games.  And it won't.

*in every way.

So people use wrong words not because they dont know any better but because they do it on purpose? thats much better xD

Why do we base quality on PS4? or nextbox?   Mario Galaxy looked better than maybe 50% of PS360 games.

1. Not wrong words, right words.  Iwata just being ignorant and refusing to acknowledge the meaning of the words and is using his own definition, which is worthless when replying to other peoples use of it.

I deleted the rest because I feel would be a waste of time reading/replying to it.

Some people refuse to see the difference between subjective taste and the fact of technical growth. Because of Nintendos disadvatages most people who find their games to be superior are viewing things based on subjective taste dealing with art direction. They like to put a spin on things just because Nintendo has been behind for two gens.

OK maybe everyone just needs to calm down.  You guys are ALL spinning things.

To be fair though, the Wii was the first time in a few systems that Nintendo kicked ass and sold well more than the competitors.  And the system was NOT as powerful as Xbox 360 and ps3, whereas previous systems were.  Think about it...  My opinion is price had  A LOT to do with it.

So while they might have a disadvantage/be behind in terms of raw computing power, they might very well have the advantage in terms of price point.  Not to mention things the controller can bring to the table.

Also, many Nintendo games are fun.  As are sony and microsoft games.  And yes, fun is subjective whether you like it or not.  Liking Nintendo games has NOTHING to do spin/denial etc.

g911turbo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
KylieDog said:
JazzB1987 said:
KylieDog said:

*in every way.

OK maybe everyone just needs to calm down.  You guys are ALL spinning things.

To be fair though, the Wii was the first time in a few systems that Nintendo kicked ass and sold well more than the competitors.  And the system was NOT as powerful as Xbox 360 and ps3, whereas previous systems were.  Think about it...  My opinion is price had  A LOT to do with it.

So while they might have a disadvantage/be behind in terms of raw computing power, they might very well have the advantage in terms of price point.  Not to mention things the controller can bring to the table.

Also, many Nintendo games are fun.  As are sony and microsoft games.  And yes, fun is subjective whether you like it or not.  Liking Nintendo games has NOTHING to do spin/denial etc.

Price helped, but the reason why the Wii sold was because it catered to non-gamers. Nintendo used a easy to use motion controller to convince non-gamers they could game instead of just core gamers enjoying all the fun. This is why Nintendo said they werent competing against the PS4 and 720 in the beginning of the Wii U's time. They wanted the casual market of tablet users and throught they could pull in established tablet users. The problem they failed to realize is that casuals focus on one version of a type of trend setting tech that has an all in one purpose. Much like the Wii...it was a product that the majority of Wii owners had diminishing value unlike its competitors (not speaking for the core Nintendo fans, because of course diminishing value doesnt count for them). Tablets have more utility than Nintendos and theres no draw for hardcore games for the casuals, thus the reason why the Wii U isnt doing as well as the Wii.

Sony and Microsoft go after a more stable gaming market. Much like Nintendo broke the casual market, Sony broke the tech enthusiast and multimedia market and made them think gaming was a serious and special big deal that was no longer just for kids. 

All companies make fun games, consistancy on setting standards depend on the values of the company in a new gen. Some have more of a dedication to it rather than seeing it as a chore. As you said subjective opinion is subjective opinion, but knowing whats next gen and what isnt on a technical level isnt subjective.

KylieDog said

He doesn't need to get his eyes checked, Mario Galaxy does look better than the majority of PS3/360 games.

Leadified said:
oniyide said:
Leadified said:

I dont think they have that kind of system to be honest with you. They are trying to do the WIi thing all over again. Dont do an actual generational leap, and just give the people something funky, like the wiimote before. Problem is no one cares about the pad right now, SO they dont have that and they were kinda banking on it.

The Wii U has more than enough to show off it's a step up from the PS3 and Xbox 360. If Nintendo will acutally show that off is another story.

Just like they had with the Wii? Some how i doubt that, but hell the system did come out, maybe in about five years we will see games looking a step up from PS360, considering how Wii turned out, im remaining skeptical.