By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Says Wii Owners Can 'Graduate' to Xbox 360

MikeB said:

Jeff Bell, VP of global Xbox marketing: "We're positioning ourselves to be ready if, in fact, gamers find they're ready to graduate from a certain experience potentially with the Wii, either because it's limited on the type of gameplay that's available or the technology in that box"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141996-c,gameconsoles/article.html

Although I agree there is little overlap between Wii and other consoles with regard to features and software library, and most performance demanding games are better played on more powerful systems, I wouldn't have used the word "graduate" in this regard.

Maybe that because you are not the "VP of global Xbox marketing".

Around the Network
MikeB said:
grandmaster192 said:
Do you people even know what a gimmick is? It's not an insult, and it's required if one wishes for their console to have mass appeal.

"an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal."

Agreed, it could easily be considered a compliment.

You say that, but you don't list any of these under the definition of "gimmick"

- a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.

or

- In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature.

In marketing, product gimmicks are sometimes considered mere novelties, and not really that relevant to the product's functioning, sometimes even earning negative connotations.

Major product features which are poorly designed become known as gimmicks to the product users.

It seems pretty obvious that he intended that remark to be negative towards the DS and figured that the "gimmick" would amount to little against the more worthwhile PSP... 

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Smidlee said:
MikeB said:

Jeff Bell, VP of global Xbox marketing: "We're positioning ourselves to be ready if, in fact, gamers find they're ready to graduate from a certain experience potentially with the Wii, either because it's limited on the type of gameplay that's available or the technology in that box"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141996-c,gameconsoles/article.html

Although I agree there is little overlap between Wii and other consoles with regard to features and software library, and most performance demanding games are better played on more powerful systems, I wouldn't have used the word "graduate" in this regard.

Maybe that because you are not the "VP of global Xbox marketing".

No, even if I were VP of global Xbox marketing, I would be smart enough not to say passive-agressive insults about other companies, and their fanbase, who are potential customers.

What if Sony said "We're ready for 360 owners to graduate to the PS3." Same dumbass statement, same pointless dumbass insult. Same alienating result for anyone who reads it.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

smbu2000 said:
MikeB said:
grandmaster192 said:
Do you people even know what a gimmick is? It's not an insult, and it's required if one wishes for their console to have mass appeal.

"an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal."

Agreed, it could easily be considered a compliment.

You say that, but you don't list any of these under the definition of "gimmick"

- a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.

or

- In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature.

In marketing, product gimmicks are sometimes considered mere novelties, and not really that relevant to the product's functioning, sometimes even earning negative connotations.

Major product features which are poorly designed become known as gimmicks to the product users.

It seems pretty obvious that he intended that remark to be negative towards the DS and figured that the "gimmick" would amount to little against the more worthwhile PSP...

On a related note, PSP software is in dire need of a gimmick.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

@ ZenfoldorVGI

I think that's an exaggeration, the PSP is doing fine, actually it's the most successful rival handheld gaming system ever since Nintendo started dominating this market segment with the original Gameboy.

But speaking as a consumer, the planned feature of being able to stream TV (and media) from the PS3 to the PSP over the internet and program my PS3 wirelessly to record TV programs as a DVR using the PSP may well be a feature to win me over. (Three games I would be interested in buying, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Daxter and R&C: Size Matters)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ ZenfoldorVGI

I think that's true.

But speaking as a consumer, if it had THE CELL and Blu-Ray® it would win me over.

Fixed for clarity, brevity, and truthfullness.

This is either wishful thinking, or a complete misunderstanding of the Wii's success by Jeff Bell. To assume that the new expanded casual crowd will suddenly want to play COD4 or GTA4 is a bit of a reach.

This is like assuming that DS owners will suddenly want to get a PSP, when they decide the DS graphics a holding back their enjoyment of games.

MikeB said:
@ ZenfoldorVGI

I think that's an exaggeration, the PSP is doing fine, actually it's the most successful rival handheld gaming system ever since Nintendo started dominating this market segment with the original Gameboy.

But speaking as a consumer, the planned feature of being able to stream TV (and media) from the PS3 to the PSP over the internet and program my PS3 wirelessly to record TV programs as a DVR using the PSP may well be a feature to win me over. (Three games I would be interested in buying, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Daxter and R&C: Size Matters)

The system is fine, I'm referring to the attach rate of the software, which does and is leading the system down the road to being considered a multimedia device, and not a handheld gaming console.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=15930

That thread claims attach rate number of about 1 game per 3 consoles sold this week in europe. Future development of games on the PSP isn't a profitable investment for software companies, and the library is suffering from lack of support of gaming by PSP's owners, imo. 

NO NO, NO NO NO.

That's a funny quote because I told a friend of mine that the other day. I told her to stick with her Wii a while longer because she's not ready for a 360 yet. I think it has too many buttons for her, but she wants to try to play COD4. It's gonna be funny trying to teach her how to play GTAIV.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

fkusumot said:
MikeB said:
@ ZenfoldorVGI

I think that's true.

But speaking as a consumer, if it had THE CELL and Blu-Ray® it would win me over.

Fixed for clarity, brevity, and truthfullness.

No, I have different expectations for handheld and home console systems like I stated earlier, this would IMO be overkill at this point consindering the amount of pixels the PSP can display, display size and the audio quality of cheap ear phones.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales