By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goodbye DS, you were close. DS production stops

DS had already passed PS2 anyway. PS2 has sold 153.68 million, DS has sold 154.24 million and appears significantly under-tracked after this official report from Nintendo.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

it's about time, now 3DS will get all sales the DS would have gotten

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

ryuzaki57 said:

PS2 is the absolute King of gaming!!!!!!!

With like 40? million defective Phats? (disk read error)  I mean I dont know any person that still has a working Phat. And I know like 50 people that had one.  And before the Slim was out they already sold like 80-100 million phats.

so when saying 40 million died it its actually quite a nice thing to say  at least when I talk about my experience (all phats I ever saw in my entire life died)

xD

Plus there is still tons of DSes out there.  So the battle is not over yet  ;)

P.S.  Every 3ds has a DS (micro) inside (DS mode with all the hardware and even DS Software)

forest-spirit said:

Would be nice of we could take our farewells without having to wade through comments about whether the DS outsold the PS2 or not. This at directed to both sides.
It was an awsome system and deserves better.

Couldn't agree more. Tiresome to have to wade through immature comments ranting about the PS2's sales superiority, or comments falsely claiming DS outsold PS2. It's also true that whoever started this thread didn't bother to do their research, and many people have jumped the gun in their eagerness to bash the DS--production has not yet stopped. Nintendo would formally announce such a move.

All that being said, DS was an absolutely amazing machine and the device that really rescued Nintendo from perpetual decline. When PSP seemed set to storm Nintendo's last castle, the handheld scene, Nintendo produced the best selling dedicated handheld yet, with one of the greatest software libraries of any system, and it will be a sad day when production does stop.

The DS changed the game industry, there's no doubt about it. It probably is the more significant piece of game hardware over the PS2, which was a great system of course, but was more of just a standard follow up to the already popular Playstation.

DS foreshadowed also the subsequent rise of smartphone/tablet games, Nintendogs and Brain Training and others obviously were there first. For most people I'd venture a guess and say the DS was probably the first touchscreen consumer electronic device in their home, which would become the standard interface much of the world uses today for computing.

Around the Network

Pretty sure this thread didn't quite turn out the way they wanted. As peelman said above, the DS has no forecast not to mention that only Sony truly know the PS2 numbers... Wait for something both official and concrete. Just official like this may be jumping the gun while just "concrete" could turn out to be nothing more than a rumor. There are tonnes of rumours going about atm too. (not saying this is one)

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

From the European PR of the results briefing:

"Nintendo will continue to sell Nintendo DS Hardware but is not revealing a unit sales forecast at this time."

This is what I was going to say as well.

Nintendo will still produce and sell the DS.  They simply haven't given a specific sales projection for it.   They sold 2.3 million last year.   No reason in the world to suddenly stop production when you're still selling millions.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

- Akuma

It's just that simple.

I think he's referring to the quality of the electronics build, you know the components that make it work and not whether some 11 year old has broken the system in half by throwing it against a wall. Nintendo have always had better builds in that sense, (all my old systems still working).

Lucas-Rio said:

LOL at PS fanboys thinking the PS2 is still selling at 5 millions per year?

It sell so little that it isn't even tracked anymore. There were official news last year when DS took over PS2. Adios sony fanboys, DS won.

User has been warned for this post ~ Barozi

Typical of the moderators on this site, they're all Sony fanboys. If anyone says the slightest thing against their precious Sony they give out warning or bans. Really dumb, I'll probably get one for saying this too.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags