By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U Gamepad should only be an optional controller

Do you like to game on the Gamepad?

Yes 78 76.47%

No, I prefer the Pro Controller 14 13.73%

yes, but only for off-screen play 10 9.80%

Total:102

Unfortunately, it's too late for that - they made it essential part of the design and centered all their effort around it. But yes, in my opinion, it would've been much better if they went with better hardware instead (7750 level GPU, quad core AMD CPU), and Wiimote 2 + Pro controller instead of Gamepad - that way they would build on what made Wii so popular, plus provide 3rd parties with hardware platform that would be very easy to port to.

Around the Network

Pro controller all the way (for me). Can't discard the gamepad at this point, and it has influenced the console in a plethora of ways.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Not even gonna read the OP, just the title.

FUCK NO!

The Gamepad adds value. Off TV play is a feature I can no longer be without. Its browser has replaced my need for a tablet. The one game that proves it can serve a distinct game play value is ZombiU to me as it adds a real physical layer to the distraction and anxiety of the game experience.

Only negative I see is the battery life. Once the rumored bigger battery comes out later this year... I'm good.

bananaking21 said:
then the whole point of the console is gone and its basically a very underpowered 8th gen console

A point that should've been made is removing the Gamepad would have freed up Nintendo resources / costs to increase the hardware raw power.

But in the end I don't think it will matter as much as the Gamepad does.

superchunk said:
bananaking21 said:
then the whole point of the console is gone and its basically a very underpowered 8th gen console

A point that should've been made is removing the Gamepad would have freed up Nintendo resources / costs to increase the hardware raw power.

But in the end I don't think it will matter as much as the Gamepad does.

ohh i thought he meant nintendo should be optional from now on. 

Around the Network

I 100% disagree. At first I thought this too. Then I actually played the Wii U and my thinking has completely changed, especially when playing local multiplayer.

I can however see how hard it is for people to accept as at first it jsut doesn't seem like a good idea.

It's literally the only selling point for this console. Without the mandatory Gamepad, you simply have an overclocked X360. Same thing with the Wii, without the mandatory motion controls it was just an overclocked Gamecube.

HoloDust said:
Unfortunately, it's too late for that - they made it essential part of the design and centered all their effort around it. But yes, in my opinion, it would've been much better if they went with better hardware instead (7750 level GPU, quad core AMD CPU), and Wiimote 2 + Pro controller instead of Gamepad - that way they would build on what made Wii so popular, plus provide 3rd parties with hardware platform that would be very easy to port to.

This pretty much sums it up. They took a gamble on the idea and it isn't paying off right now. It would be really interesting to see how a big leap of a console would have done, especially if they could have done what the 360 did by having a 1 year lead with a proper next-gen console.

Oh well, the Wii U is still pretty fun.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Gamepad is awesome, games like Zombi U have so much atmosphere added due to the great use of the gamepad. Also local multiplayer comes into its own (see Mario Chase or Luigis ghost mansion) no more shitty split screen. Off tv play is also the single most useful asset ever, ive used my gamepad countless times whilst the missus is watching soaps.

People should stop bitching about it.  It's a fantastic controller.  If you want classic controls so badly, go play xbox or ps3.

1doesnotsimply