By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Doing something different. Let's try tearing apart the games that we love.

Brigandine Legend of Forsena.

If you leave animations on, battles will take a lot longer. It's an amazing game, but you really need to turn off the 3D animations. Here's a video going from the map, to the animation, then back to the map.  The second video shows a lot of battle scenes in a row if you haven't played the game and are interested in seeing how other classes and monsters attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1isNoXpSLD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0yjAthM6xM

Just think about how long each battle would be seeing the scenes 20-100 times per battle. With the scene off you just see the enemy judder with a hit sound. Also, certain magic spells are displayed on the map screen and in a 3D animation so will only show on the map.

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy - the puprle coin stars were to repetetive at the end. and the overworld had unused potential. But that's pretty much it.

Ratchet ACiT
Ummm...well that's kinda why it's my favorite because I don't have anything to critique except the ending made me cry too much lol

Uncharted 3
Ok let's be honest they completely copied the story formula from the second game here. Travel to old city and find map to ancient city of riches that was discovered by a famous explorer in the past, check. Have a caravan fight near the end to save and old man, check. Open up the city then have someone you care about apparently die, check. It was really formulaic but since it did everything a bit better than Uncharted 3 I actually like it the best in the series (rooftop run, plane, caravan, and ship were better set pieces than train, caravan, and helicopter chase for me).

Infamous
Why don't the enemies just use buckets of water on him? Seriously 1 fire truck and he's dead. Also Zeke sucked in the first game and I really wanted to kill him.

Batman AC
Stop leaving the damn villains after I fight to get them down! Oh yeah and better waypoints and fast travel would have been appreciated.

God of War 3
Well this is actually a critique of the whole series but Kratos really has no one to blame but himself for his family. I mean he kills Ares and is always mad because he thinks he was betrayed but he could have looked at who he was killing (yes I know they were supposed to be in Sparta) before blindly slashing. I mean he didn't kill the oracle and she was there (even gave him warning).

Resistance 3
We never really got a proper conclusion or even saw the true Chimera because you assholes wouldn't buy it! Seriously it's like the best FPS ever! If R&C and Resistance 1 had a love child this would be it! Upgrading weapons, awesome weapon variety, you can carry as many as you please, your health doesn't regenerate so it's actually suspenseful, and the bosses and set pieces are amazing! The mood is perfect also. Seriously Sony f'd up the advertising and soured everyone with R2 but anyone who hasn't tried this game needs to...now! Seriously get off the internet and go!

Journey
Too much sand and it should have been an FPS and where's the competitive MP with fatalities!?

Sly 4
Murray promotes obesity and the game basically says you can be a thief and still be the hero. Also Sony f'd up the advertising (by not having any) again. Now we get a cliffhanger ending and probably no sequel.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Max Payne 3
The gameplay, story, presentation, music.. great. The cutscenes however kinda ruined the experience for me :P

Uncharted 3
Same as MP3.. with the focus too heavy on presentation. Story also not as good as the previous Uncharted games.

Mass Effect 2
Great game, amazing story, streamlined (also a bit more linear - but I don't mind), but my main qualms with the game is the lack of the RPG elements compared to the first game and the omission of Mako planet searching (loved that!).

Mr Puggsly said:
Rafux said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Rafux said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Rafux said:

Here goes mine: MGS4 was a cash grab and Kojima obviously didn't wanted to do it, Snake lost all the spark and ideals he had in Sons of Liberty and the story felt like a cop out because Kojima was forced to "answer" all the questions.

I still love the game, Kojima did what he could with what he had, he was almost forced to do it.

I disagree with this.I think the story was fine and the character evolved into a grumpy, old, suicidal man. I don't believe he wanted to make a game though. Which is why you find very little actual gameplay.

The problem for me with the story was that it had to close all the loose ends and answer everything, it couldn't escape the canon, like Vamp for example which I just assume was an actual vampire was revealed to be just a nanomachine experiment, "ok that works, let's move on with the next loose end" (thats Kojima in my head). I loved Snake in Sons of Liberty he had passion, he had matured as a person and he fought for what he believed, then in MGS4 one of the first things he says is "I'm just an old killer hired to do some wet work" and I can guess thats how Kojima felt about making MGS4. Story was just ok.

Giving some sort of scientific explanation for what seemed supernatural wasn't a bad thing. I was content with their explanation for Vamp.

Snake and Big Boss started as people who loved and fought for their country but became disenchanted. I mean Snake found out he is just a science experiment built for war and became old in just a few years. He can't have children or live a normal life. You wouldn't expect him to be the same guy from MGS2. He's just living the life he was created to do.

So I dunno, I enjoyed the story. But I really felt gameplay went downhill.

Snake already overcome and broke free from his genetic fate in MSG1 and found something to believe and fight for himself and not just being a tool of the goverment, Snake from Sons of Liberty would enjoy every drop of life he had left if he only had 6 more months to live, he actually could die at any moment from the Foxdie but he got over it and enjoy life again.

It seems we are on opposide sides, I really liked the gameplay but the story was just ok.

But isn't becoming old so quickly part of his genetic fate? Also, he was genetically engineered to be a killing machine and pretty much incapable of living a normal life. How much living could the guy possibly do?

But in the end, I think he comes to terms with his life.

"Also, he was genetically engineered to be a killing machine and pretty much incapable of living a normal life. How much living could the guy possibly do?"

This is also addressed in MGS1, he came to terms  with that fact after things didn't work out with Meryl, thats why he and Otacon created Philantrophy where he used non lethal weapons in its missions.

"But isn't becoming old so quickly part of his genetic fate?"

Yes it is, Liquid even told him about that in MGS1 and he demanded Big Boss's remains to try to find a cure. He looks also a bit aged in MGS2 and even Ocelot tells him "Not so young anymore Snake", in MGS2 he knows his time is little and is trying to use it to its fullest, I really think he overcome that and the fact that he cannot have children since thats the theme of MGS2, what will you pass on to future generations, Snake can't pass his genes he has accepted that but he can pass his memes.

Around the Network

Halo 4: Although its campaign and story telling was overall the best in a Halo game in my opinion, it lacked some of the epic, large scale vehicle battles or invasion/assault type missions that were my favourite parts of previous Halos. My favourite ones were in Halo 3. They had some of that in Halo 4 but not to to the same scale. It was partly due to the story requiring the Master Chief to be alone a lot more and probably also had a a lot to do with the 360 not being able to pull that scale and number of enemies with the graphics in Halo 4. I think/hope those types of levels will make a comeback in the Halos on the 720.