By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox Live adds 6 Million members in a single Year, is the hate unjustified?

Does Xbox Live deserve the criticism it gets in the forums?

Yes Xbox Live is a rip off 221 45.19%

No Xbox Live is the best ... 208 42.54%

No opinion / don't care 60 12.27%

Total:489
Zkuq said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Zkuq said:
Steam is free and a great service and it manages it in an open environment where it has direct competition on the selling stuff side. Also, I've never seen an ad on Steam. XBL, on the other hand... Well, let's just say that I don't undestand at all how some think having to pay for XBL is acceptable when all other similar services do it for free

Steam is free and great... but PC gaming is a pain in the ass for most people.

Lets remember not all similar services offer the same content either.

Don't exactly see how it's a pain in the ass, especially if you use Steam. But that's not the point. I'm comparing services, not platforms, so even if PC gaming in general happens to be a pain in the ass, it's totally irrelevant here.

Xbox is simple to use. That is the relevance.

I can't even use that TV feature in Steam without it crashing Steam. I'm not in the mood to troubleshoot.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

logic:

you cant compare live to steam. steam has 40 millions users buying their games. sony half way in the same situation . what i dont get is not that ms has no free online play but why are sony loyalist pissed @ it. is it because your loyalty stop at free online play? i mean come on. i pay for plus and live. how many of you complain about going to the movies. what do you get out of a 2 hr movie that you can get for free onine lol. you have to pay for all the food if i want. its filled with advertisements. but its your entertainment. the same way you pay people pay for live

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

Enough with these misleading excuses about services.

outlawauron said:
I think its a ripoff and I still pay for it. I HAVE to pay for it in order to take advantage of key gaming features and gameplay.

What this guy said: KEY GAMING FEATURES.

You buy Black Ops II.

Is this an online game ? Yes.

You buy an Xbox 360

Can you play black ops II online out of the box ? No.

Guess what. Microsoft sold you half a bloody console.

Sony logic at its finest here.

So what games are you currently playing there? Bioshock Infinite? Metal Gear Rising?

I assure you those games can be experienced completely on MS's half console even without Gold. Do you even care about online play?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

"what? don't like paying to play online? sony fan right there!"

Or, they could just be people that like that you can play games online for free, on any other platform.

tres said:
logic:

you cant compare live to steam. steam has 40 millions users buying their games. sony half way in the same situation . what i dont get is not that ms has no free online play but why are sony loyalist pissed @ it. is it because your loyalty stop at free online play? i mean come on. i pay for plus and live. how many of you complain about going to the movies. what do you get out of a 2 hr movie that you can get for free onine lol. you have to pay for all the food if i want. its filled with advertisements. but its your entertainment. the same way you pay people pay for live

Stealing a movie by pirating is different and cannot be compared to this.

Many people are annoyed at the idea of people buying a game that has an online feature and not being able to play that feature unless they give MS more money. You are already technically giving MS money when you buy the game. A good example of how this might affect people is Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect and 2 were single player games only, but ME3 added an online feature, a feature which even changed the main single player game. For silver membership members they couldn't access this part of the game, something both PC and PS3 gamers could,  unless they payed up.

It's the same kind of effect for all games with an online feature. Pay once to buy the game including the online, pay again to actually be able to pay the online feature. For many Playstation and PC users this doesn't make sense because in the case of PC gamers they've been able to buy and game and play it online for free long before XBox Live came along.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
tres said:
logic:

Stealing a movie by pirating is different and cannot be compared to this.

Many people are annoyed at the idea of people buying a game that has an online feature and not being able to play that feature unless they give MS more money. You are already technically giving MS money when you buy the game. A good example of how this might affect people is Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect and 2 were single player games only, but ME3 added an online feature, a feature which even changed the main single player game. For silver membership members they couldn't access this part of the game, something both PC and PS3 gamers could,  unless they payed up.

It's the same kind of effect for all games with an online feature. Pay once to buy the game including the online, pay again to actually be able to pay the online feature. For many Playstation and PC users this doesn't make sense because in the case of PC gamers they've been able to buy and game and play it online for free long before XBox Live came al

dont get me wrong i dont understand their thinking other than servers cost.  ps+ more than anything has saved sony.  why ms never had a tier system is beyond me.  what i dont get is why people that dont use the system sound so angry about it all the time.  why complain about something you dont use unless you really want to use it :)

Yes xbox live is a rip off but they're allowed to do that. Don't like it ? buy a different console simples.
It's like when people say xbox doesn't have any exclusives. Don't like it? Again buy a different console, they don't owe you anything.

"I showed them total warfare. Like i said, there's a lot you can learn from old books."- Caesar New Vegas

outlawauron said:
I think its a ripoff and I still pay for it. I HAVE to pay for it in order to take advantage of key gaming features and gameplay.

You buy Black Ops II.

You buy an Xbox 360

Of course you can play games online when you buy a 360. Every console can create up to 6 accounts that have each 1 month of free gold membership.

Barozi said:

outlawauron said:

You buy Black Ops II.

You buy an Xbox 360

Of course you can play games online when you buy a 360. Every console can create up to 6 accounts that have each 1 month of free gold membership.

LOL!

Okay, that's 6 months. If you bought it at launch you have 72 more months to address. I await your response.

Tachikoma said:
"what? don't like paying to play online? sony fan right there!"

Or, they could just be people that like that you can play games online for free, on any other platform.

Yeah, pretty much this.

I probably have more Xbox games than most people here. I just choose not to pay for online multiplayer when there are other alternative platforms that do it for free..