By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED] GameSpot: Nintendo's Failure to Innovate and the Trouble With Nostalgia

Do you agree?

Yes 160 41.99%

No 221 58.01%

Total:381

People still cares about what GameSpot has to say? Everything GS is dumb.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Jumpin said:
Lawlight said:
As I said before, their IPs are selling less these days.

Actually, for the most party their franchises have been selling more. Over the last 6 years Nintendo has seen more success than at any point in the past in terms of how high their franchises have been selling.

IPs whose sales are lower now than the previous gen:

Brain Age

Nintendogs

NSMB

Mario Kart

Luigi's Mansion

Paper Mario

Mario Tennis

You serious abou Luigi and Mario Kart???? You're totally wrong about Luigi, and Mario Kart is only selling less if you compare it to the Wii-iteration. Mario Kart 7 has sold more than 8m copies so far, on a 30m instal base. That's HUGE. You don't know what you're talking about.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Lawlight said:
Jumpin said:
Lawlight said:
As I said before, their IPs are selling less these days.

Actually, for the most party their franchises have been selling more. Over the last 6 years Nintendo has seen more success than at any point in the past in terms of how high their franchises have been selling.

IPs whose sales are lower now than the previous gen:

Brain Age

Nintendogs

NSMB

Mario Kart

Luigi's Mansion

Paper Mario

Mario Tennis

Mariokart is heavily bundled. I haven't seen the sales but they I am sure because of bundles it should be around 10M+ copies. If Nintendo didnt bundle mariokart it probably would've done half that or less. That game sold like hotcakes during the Wii craze.

Complaining about recycling old ideas is a valid point, but honestly the conversation in this video seems entirely forced, as if the editors featured don't really believe what they're saying. Plus they contradict themselves throughout the entire video. "We love Nintendo and we can't wait to play these new games, but they're old and tired and we hate them." Or "I like Super Mario Galaxy because of the great gameplay but I'm sick of games with great gameplay with Mario in them."

By the end of the episode it almost seems like the editors have talked themselves out of the criticism. We're left with a company that introduces new mechanics and ideas into its established games, protects its brand to draw in new generations of fans, and recruits third party developers to fill in the gaps. Sounds like a pretty smart and successful company to me.

Also, it's unfair to criticize Nintendo for being too familiar and refusing to take risks by citing this new Zelda 3DS game, but then completely overlook Skyward Sword, which was the freshest, most contemporary Zelda in 13 years.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Mariokart is heavily bundled. I haven't seen the sales but they I am sure because of bundles it should be around 10M+ copies. If Nintendo didnt bundle mariokart it probably would've done half that or less. That game sold like hotcakes during the Wii craze.

MKWii already sold 24M (or was is 22?) as standalone before it was finally bundled with the console.

Around the Network

Meanwhile, at GameStop HQ after the eleventy-billionth FPS/TPS on 360:

"MORE MORE MORE!", cries Peter & Tom roll around, naked, in thousands of copies of Halo, Gears of War, and COD (and their 'innovative' sequels and unending clones), burning themselves to death on their own, scalding, irony.

Well just to let gamespot know if nintendo is not innovating who is please? Look there is now 20 enemies instead of 15 and they have stronger weapons and the wall is brown now not grey. And there is more particle effects.

How is this innovating?

Or lets make Devil May Cry without guns but blades and with greek mythology and paint the hero white/red.

Or Lets tomb raider with a male character that is a douchebag and looks like average joe.

Or lets a racing game where you can drive the newest mercedes compared to the old one.

Or lets make a soccer game where "soccer player XY" is wearing a different jersey because he changed the team.

How is all this crap innovating? But lets say Mario in space etc is not?

And saying that Mario has no new IP is bullshit they have a ton of new IPs but noone know that they are from Nintendo and noone buy stuff like that. Another Code R, Xenoblade, Project Zero, Crisis whatnot. Then they have a ton of DS stuff like Magical Starsign etc.

People dont give a f*ck and then say Nintendo has no new IP lol.

Galaki said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

MKWii already sold 24M (or was is 22?) as standalone before it was finally bundled with the console.

It came as a bundled package with the wheel. It's been selling every year since Mario Kart Wii launched prettymuch.

I fail to see how their competition is any better than Nintendo in this regard !
Uncharted: 4 games in 5 years
God of War: 6 games in 8 years with various collections and bundles
Little Big Planet: 4 games in 4 years
Forza: 5 games in 7 years
Halo: 5 mainline games in 11 years, with 2 spin offs
Now compare that to Nintendo´s franchises...
But obviously only Nintendo is called out...oh well, moving on !

I wish others could "milk" their franchises the way Nintendo does...then I would be one happy gamer..

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints