By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - i might get an ipad4

ethomaz said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

Bad Idea...I'll give you an analogy to illustrate my point, your a free range chicken enjoying your freedom but it's not as easy since sometimes it rains and sometime it's too sunny, so you choose to become a battery chicken, you are limited as hell but hey now you don't need to worry about the rain or sun.

The key thing is, Android gives you a lot of freedom in what you can do with the device, a freedom you'll notice is lost when you enter the restrictive OS in Apple devices. I would first suggest to try another Android device as different manufacturers have slightly different versions of android which may be more stable...different as in overlay and certain key features and themes these manufacturers have customized android with.

Please keep in mind, Apples OS is made for none technical people who for the most part struggle using a simple windows machine....apparently having options and freedom is too much to deal with or even bother to learn (yes this is what I was told by an Apple user at work), Androids freedom and options is what power users like about Android, it's also why Android has basically taken over the market...I mean come on it's 2013 and apple devices still can't run simple widgets on the desktop...even TV's from 2009 could run widgets.

In any case, your decision, your money, but I hope you think about it and make the right choice for your self.

Maybe he din't want this "freedom" like me and everything else that prefer a stable OS that run what we wants perfectly without any trouble or "freedom" options.

iOS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Android.

My friends here in Brazil buy the "freedom" because they are cheaper.

To me it's Android > IOS

I choose Android because I don't need to funnel everything through itunes or itunes like program, I can dump almost any video file on my phone or tablets memory card and the Android will play it, no need for conversions. My Samsung galaxy note 10.1 has PC like cascaded windows which is very useful to me, also both my GS3 and Galaxy note 10.1 have proper file management systems built into the OS, no need to even use my PC, I can manage my files properly and easily on devices, hell I can even plug in a USB stick and pull files off it or put file on it all with out requiring a PC...to ME these things are important, and something Apple devices can't touch, or won't ever touch.

But you are right in one aspect, there are millions of people who don't want freedom, and I'm not here to stop them, more so put up my reasons why freedom is best and then allow them to make thier own informed judgement on whats best for them once they know both sides.

Also being cheeper is not a negative despite you making it read as much, Android and the manfucaturers make products to fit any and all financil statis, at least these people who as you say, bought their freedom, did so because their was an option and option not provided by apple, despite the hardware being being no more expensive than android hardware, being that they are the same, but Apple charges a premium for it's name and the perception that owning one some how elevates your statis. In reality it should be it's function which is key not it's form...but hey that's just me.

Around the Network
jake_the_fake1 said:

Bad Idea...I'll give you an analogy to illustrate my point, your a free range chicken enjoying your freedom but it's not as easy since sometimes it rains and sometime it's too sunny, so you choose to become a battery chicken, you are limited as hell but hey now you don't need to worry about the rain or sun.

The key thing is, Android gives you a lot of freedom in what you can do with the device, a freedom you'll notice is lost when you enter the restrictive OS in Apple devices. I would first suggest to try another Android device as different manufacturers have slightly different versions of android which may be more stable...different as in overlay and certain key features and themes these manufacturers have customized android with.

Please keep in mind, Apples OS is made for none technical people who for the most part struggle using a simple windows machine....apparently having options and freedom is too much to deal with or even bother to learn (yes this is what I was told by an Apple user at work), Androids freedom and options is what power users like about Android, it's also why Android has basically taken over the market...I mean come on it's 2013 and apple devices still can't run simple widgets on the desktop...even TV's from 2009 could run widgets.

In any case, your decision, your money, but I hope you think about it and make the right choice for your self.

Android gives you more freedom to do things like customize your home screen or log wifi access points you drive past (that's seriously my brother-in-law's killer app for his Nexus, BTW).

iOS gives you more freedom to create art with apps like Animation Desk, Procreate, ArtRage, Paper, and 123D Sculpt.

iOS gives you more freedom to create music with apps like Cubasis, Animoog, djay, GarageBand, Amplitube, and Audiobus.

iOS gives you more freedom to play games like Baldur's Gate, Bastion, Soul Calibur, Pirates!, Scribblenauts, Marathon, Shantae, Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy, Starbase Orion, Ravenmark, Ticket to Ride, The World Ends With You, Ghost Trick, Aquaria, Swordigo, King of Dragon Pass, Sim City, Battle Academy, Ascension, Ticket to Ride, Gemini Rue.

Almost all of these apps are on my iPad, none of them are on the Play store. Broadly speaking, Android allows you to do more things to your device, iOS allows you to do more things with your device. Which is better for you depends on your interests and whether your tablet is a means to an end or an end in itself.

Edit: BTW, USB is a lousy way to get files onto a tablet, network is the way to go. Get a Dropbox account and/or setup a file server. AVPlayer is one of a few apps that will play any video format on iOS, but you'll save battery life and storage using AirVideo to convert and stream video from a server.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

ishiki said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
ishiki said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

Do you game on PC's or only consoles?

The same exact comparison can be made for PC vs Consoles.

Both, but here's the thing, you only encouter these 'issue' with low/mid end PC's, when your on the upper end like me, everything on max and it works buttery smooth, and games looks to beautiful. So although your analogy works on the lower end of the spectrum, it doesn't work across the broader spectrum.

what issues are you talking about?

There's not freedom on consoles, there's freedom on PC's. There's not freedom on IOS device, There's freedom on Android. Even on low end PC's you can replaces half the assets in skyrim if you desire. There's Driver issues, high or low end particularly at the launch of new games.

Essentially insulting him for wanting an iOS device, when you essentially decided the same thing when you use a PS3.

Each the PC, PS3, or Ipad has it's own set of weaknesses and strength's. If you want iPad's catalogue, but some freedom, Jailbreak it. There's all kinds of options for each scenario. For me despite being an Engineer, who's used PC's forever, and used linux. Having a tablet, with ultimate freedom was unecessary since I'm not going to be screwing with things on the go (or have the desire to), having a bit more stable, and some of the apps on iOS was more necessary.

You brought up PC, I mentioned issues on PC as the OP mentioned issue on his Android device, and this was the context of my reply.

I did not insult anyone, or at least that was not my intent, my intent was simply to voice my opinions on the matter of these two devices, but leaving the ultimate decision up to him hence me writing near the end of my post " your decision, your money, but I hope you think about it and make the right choice for yourself." nothing more nothing less, if you want to make this out to be more than it was, then that's your prerogative.

I understand each device has its strength and weakness, but if you want freedom to the point you jailbreak an Apple device, then why not simply opt for an Android device which can do pretty much everything without the need of jailbreaking. In any case choosing an apple device because of certain exclusive apps is reasonable, but saying that you choose Apple devices because it's has a more stable OS as if implying that the Android is completely unstable is absurd, these are the same arguments I heard people talk about Macs not getting any virus compared to PC therefore making macs better. Android is as stable as IOS, perhaps a precent or two less but still up there, the key thing to remember is that these two devices are computer like, and may need to be power cycled every so often, god know I've seen many apple owners at work powercycle their phones when encountering problems, I've done so on a few occasions as well on my android, but it's just the nature of the beast, to say otherwise is a lil silly in my opinion.

But you are right, when working with PC all day sometimes you just wanna sit back, relax and work with something simple, to me that simple can be provided by an android device, it's just that when I wanna do some extra things I have the option too as android affords them to me, but again this was my personal preference just as an Apple device may be for you.

Have you used an iProduct before OP?

I used to own an iPhone and an iPad 2

They are very restrictive and closed.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

wick said:
Have you used an iProduct before OP?

I used to own an iPhone and an iPad 2

They are very restrictive and closed.

That is a good point to be discussed.

What are these "restriction" / "closed" things you found in iOS? Because I can do everything with it and plus there are apps for everything (way more than Android).

I think you just don't like iOS because everything the iPad and iPhone was design for it do amazing.

Around the Network

Don't say Android is buggy, say your android is buggy. Since it has so many different versions running on different devices the quality is all over the place. For example my first Android device sucked, lots of my friends' androids are glitchy, yet my galaxy s3 is just as smooth and simple as ios. I'd recomend instead of abandoning android as a whole, just abandon that specific family of devices. Ipads are great but you should still look at the competition.

Also there are other players. Have you looked at Windows Surface?

chocoloco said:
Well, if you think Andriod is buggy which is not true I will not try hard to convince you otherwise. Superchunk's threads generally prove the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 beat all the competitors in their respective sizes.

Hmmm...most of my Android loving friends admit that Android is buggy...you must have gotten lucky ;)

Stop hating and start playing.

BuckStud said:

Hmmm...most of my Android loving friends admit that Android is buggy...you must have gotten lucky ;)

A little off-topic now.

My work is migrating every notebook to use Linux instead Windows and if you need some app windows only you need to run a virtual machine with Windows 7 or Windows XP.

The point is I already used Linux in my personal computer and liked it... no trouble and the latest version pretty and possible stable... but now hate it because I use more eight hours per day for work and everything is buggy... even the sound crash sometimes, the wireless connection have some troubles, the system freezes and event the Stand By options stop to work. So I don't recommend Linux for any guys here... the compliz is buggy like a hell (I have to disable it to get better performance), the Java not works like in Windows, the apps have not all the options found in Windows and the easy to use is never existed.

The keyboard layout works for some apps and others not even after I spent more than one day to fix the keyboard layout to Portuguese-BR.

It's ironic but the virtual machine running Windows over Linux runs better than the Linux itself... you lost more time fixing the things than working... inproductive, inefficient, every time you need to go to google to find a workaround.

Now I see how the Windows is a amazing OS... everything works fine without the users needs to know anything... I can say the same about my Mac OS X experience... easy, fast, efficient, etc like the Windows... Linux is really a bad OS.

Edit - I remember a thing... there are a lot of text editor in the world with a crazy options but no other is so useful like the good and old
Notepad... simple, fast, light and can be used for everything... we need more Notepads in the life and not crazy options.

i dont ever see myself wanting a tablet. why? it does what my phone, game systems, and laptop already does and does it better than tablets, i hate touch screen controls.

They use ipads at my job, its for executives, i hate dealing with them when i have to and i hate itunes which now you dont have to use thank god.

jake_the_fake1 said:

The bolded is BS. Apple OS is made for people who like Apple OS. I have a Windows PC, a linux laptop, a Android Cellphone and an IPad. All of them are great devices. Point is, you can enjoy Apple OS even if you are a tech guy. And as a tablet, is a great device.

The IPad is great (yes, this is what I was told by an Android user at work).