By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioshock Infinite Violates Religious Beliefs, Valve offers Refunds

richardhutnik said:
adriane23 said:
So he bought a game where you kill people, but returns it because of the baptism. Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy?

It is only hypocrisy if one's Christianity also forbids killing.  You have religious people for whom their own symbolism being violated is a greater offense than them killing people.  That is not hypocrisy, just problematic morals on some other grounds, such as your own moral sensibilities.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
richardhutnik said:
adriane23 said:
So he bought a game where you kill people, but returns it because of the baptism. Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy?

It is only hypocrisy if one's Christianity also forbids killing.  You have religious people for whom their own symbolism being violated is a greater offense than them killing people.  That is not hypocrisy, just problematic morals on some other grounds, such as your own moral sensibilities.

There are Christians who don't believe the 10 Commandments are for them, and they live under the New Covanent.  What would be better is to discuss the teachings of Jesus and ask who Jesus would kill.

JinxRake said:
ToraTiger said:

Before we all jump onto the "killing is in all Video games, even mario" Biz, lets first remember that baptism is a very important part of Christianity and is something that really shouldn't be mentioned in a game like this. If I were playing a game, and I had to shoot someone while they were praying, Muslim or not, I'd lose all respect for the game and likely never play it again. It's not about how it violates the religion's beliefs, it's more of how it violates what you think shouldn't be defiled within the context of Religion.

Honestly, using religious concepts in media is just asking for it. I mean it's not like this kind of thing happens often in games, so why use theological things to begin with?( Aside from some Asian games where religion is just used as a theme with little fear of criticism because most of them are atheists.)

It just comes off to me that the BioShock devs couldn't make an interesting story without the use of pulling on heart strings and other dramatic occurrences that happened in the past. Like racism, and the founding of America.

Not like I have a problem with the latter, because things like that should be mentioned as a reminder.

So before you guys jump the ship and attack the man who wanted the refund, because the game has killing in it also , just remember death is a natural occurrence, but baptism and crucifixes are not. This either attacks or references Christianity in some way.

And that is a bad thing...exactly how?

Religion is suppose to be sacred.   Be it for non-believers or peoples of different religions. 

It's not sacred if it's being referenced in a fictional video game.  It's a parody of sorts if you ask me.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

TruckOSaurus said:
ToraTiger said:

Before we all jump onto the "killing is in all Video games, even mario" Biz, lets first remember that baptism is a very important part of Christianity and is something that really shouldn't be mentioned in a game like this. If I were playing a game, and I had to shoot someone while they were praying, Muslim or not, I'd lose all respect for the game and likely never play it again. It's not about how it violates the religion's beliefs, it's more of how it violates what you think shouldn't be defiled within the context of Religion.

Honestly, using religious concepts in media is just asking for it. I mean it's not like this kind of thing happens often in games, so why use theological things to begin with?( Aside from some Asian games where religion is just used as a theme with little fear of criticism because most of them are atheists.)

It just comes off to me that the BioShock devs couldn't make an interesting story without the use of pulling on heart strings and other dramatic occurrences that happened in the past. Like racism, and the founding of America.

Not like I have a problem with the latter, because things like that should be mentioned as a reminder.

So before you guys jump the ship and attack the man who wanted the refund, because the game has killing in it also , just remember death is a natural occurrence, but baptism and crucifixes are not. This either attacks or references Christianity in some way.

There's plenty of movies addressing religion, why shouldn't it be addressed in games? Also, the baptism at the beginning of Infinite is far from blasfamous, it serves as a way to set the tone for what the city of Columbia is. It doesn't mock the sacrement or religion, it only gives you an idea of the sort of people that inhabit the strange city you've just stepped in.

Video games are more imersive, so I guess it's seen as more like you're commiting the sin.   Movies and other media often get away with more than video games do.  Heaven knows why, but I still don't think a specific Religion should be mentioned, in any form, unless it actually is documented as happening,  nor should Religion be attacked or endorsed in any media.

What makes Bioshock bad is that it's purely a work of fiction, and the devs seem to have used Christianity and things like racism to speak to a wide base and establish a deep and realistic story.  That's why I think that person was offended.   

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:
JinxRake said:
ToraTiger said:

And that is a bad thing...exactly how?

Religion is suppose to be sacred.   Be it for non-believers or peoples of different religions. 

It's not sacred if it's being referenced in a fictional video game.  It's a parody of sorts if you ask me.

Religion is a choice. It is not beyond scrutiny, nor is it beyond commentary. It does not supercede the freedom of speech nor should it be allowed to dictate what is actually acceptable in society, considering most of its norms are outlandishly outdated.

I would agree, in part, with your comment if Christianity - as in the majority of the Christian population - showed any restraint or respect for other religions...but we all know that is a fable.

Around the Network

It's funny because from the entire game it was the part of getting baptised that got to me the most. I really would have liked the choice to say no at that stage but it didn't stop me from playing the game.

I guess there will be no circumcision in Infinite 2.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

richardhutnik said:
adriane23 said:

Sooo, yeah, like I said. Hypocrisy.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:
richardhutnik said:
adriane23 said:

I think your answer is right, if it somehow gets connected to your avatar.

richardhutnik said:
adriane23 said:
richardhutnik said:
adriane23 said:

I think your answer is right, if it somehow gets connected to your avatar.

It doesn't, but my answer is still correct.

I am the Playstation Avenger.