By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would PS3 use Blu-Ray if format war didnt happen?

VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Using multiple discs is a solution for games that need more space than a single DVD offers. That doesn't demonstrate Bluray was essential for PS3.

Sony should have focused less on a "true entertainment center" and more on just pushing a game console. PS3 sales wouldn't have been better without Bluray. It would have kept the console cheaper and more profitable.

The whole concept of the PS3 is a video game console that is future proof. Sony knew Blu-Ray would be the standard format before this gen was over and they wanted it in their console. Blu-Ray was a selling point for the PS3, both as a game and movie format. You can't deny that.

The PS3 being more future proof was just a concept. Future games are already skipping the PS3 for 8th gen consoles.

Bluray was a selling point for people who wanted a Bluray. But the masses really wanted a cheap next gen gaming console. Your logic is the PS3's best selling point is Bluray, in spite of crippling the PS3's sales early and causing Sony to lose billions.

The PS3 being future proof was just a concept. In reality, future games are already skipping the PS3 for 8th gen consoles. Not because of space limitations, but because of technical limitations.

Bluray was a selling point for people who wanted a Bluray. But the masses really wanted a cheap next gen gaming console.

Your logic is the PS3's best selling point is Bluray, in spite of Bluray crippling the PS3's sales early on, chasing away Sony fans, and causing Sony to lose billions of dollars.

Mr Puggsly said:

Using multiple discs is a solution for games that need more space than a single DVD offers. That doesn't demonstrate Bluray was essential for PS3.

Sony should have focused less on a "true entertainment center" and more on just pushing a game console. PS3 sales wouldn't have been better without Bluray. It would have kept the console cheaper and more profitable.

That was a typo, I forgot to fix it. PS3 would have sold much without Bluray as long as the console was significantly cheaper. I'm pretty certain it would have been the best selling console this gen.

Why do you think the 360 trounced the PS3 before it went below $400? People wanted a game machine, not a Bluray player.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Zappykins said:
I am going to revise what I said. After thinking about how many people I know who bought a PS3 because it could play Blu-rays.

So having a Blu-ray significantly helped the PS3's sales. But the format war significantly damaged disc sales, the industry, and launched the door to streaming.

Also, I think Microsoft pushed streaming, and their 1080P 5.1 streaming more because they had to counter blu-ray.

LOL. Streaming is just part of the digital revolution.
Streaming really took off with Netflix. Microsoft had nothing to do with it.

MS had something to do with it. They helped push using digital streaming on televisions via their popular console. If Sony had it their way, they would prefer people just stuck with Bluray.

SIGH. You want to know what really popularized streaming? YOUTUBE. Netflix/Hulu are evolutions of this. People already uploaded movies/tv shows on Youtube only for it to be taken down a few days later....Microsfot literray had nothing to do with the rise of streaming services, they are going with the flow. They didn't invent streaming. They don't even own a streaming webstie or app. Microsoft had no more to do with the popularity of streaming than Sony. Did you forget that PS3 is the #1 console for Netflix? 

Did you read what I said? I don't even know what you're babbling about.

MS helped push streming on televisions. This is a fact.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

the2real4mafol said:
Mr Puggsly said:
the2real4mafol said:
Yes, the tech was there anyway. Sony might as well have used it and its actually benefitted games. Games like God of war 3 and Uncharted 2/3 and others would have been restricted too much if they had to fit on a DVD. Blu ray was a good choice in the long run.

God of War and Uncharted would have been been fine on DVDs. Worst case scenario, more disc swaps and FMVs wouldn't be as sharp. Not a single PS3 game showed we needed Bluray this gen.

Not using Bluray would have benefited Sony financially and a cheaper PS3 would have been a greater success.

I completely disagree, going with blu-ray was a good idea for this generation. So what if it didn't make them much money?! It gave the extra storage space that games especially exclusives needed. Uncharted 2 and 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 are such examples that blu-ray was needed, there were nearly 50gb each! God of war 3 was 35gb, could you imagine these on 6 or 7 DVD's?! It's this reason that it's stupid that Metal Gear Solid V is coming to xbox 360, i dread to think how many DVD's that will use. Personally, i like my games on 1 disc but i'm sure developers have reduced the quality of graphics and even cut stuff from their games, just to fit it on an old fashioned DVD. It was enough for last gen, but not in the HD era

Correction, it made them no money, Bluray cost them billions of dollars. It also made the PS3 too expensive so they they lost fans from PS2 and allowed the Xbox to thrive. What does Sony have to show for it? No disc swaps on PS3? Wonderful!

Games like MGS4, Uncharted, and GoW3 don't actually need that much space. They just aren't compressed.

If DVD wasn't enough for this era, its funny how most games fit on a single DVD. That's thanks to compression.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Zappykins said:
I am going to revise what I said. After thinking about how many people I know who bought a PS3 because it could play Blu-rays.

So having a Blu-ray significantly helped the PS3's sales. But the format war significantly damaged disc sales, the industry, and launched the door to streaming.

Also, I think Microsoft pushed streaming, and their 1080P 5.1 streaming more because they had to counter blu-ray.

LOL. Streaming is just part of the digital revolution.
Streaming really took off with Netflix. Microsoft had nothing to do with it.

MS had something to do with it. They helped push using digital streaming on televisions via their popular console. If Sony had it their way, they would prefer people just stuck with Bluray.

SIGH. You want to know what really popularized streaming? YOUTUBE. Netflix/Hulu are evolutions of this. People already uploaded movies/tv shows on Youtube only for it to be taken down a few days later....Microsfot literray had nothing to do with the rise of streaming services, they are going with the flow. They didn't invent streaming. They don't even own a streaming webstie or app. Microsoft had no more to do with the popularity of streaming than Sony. Did you forget that PS3 is the #1 console for Netflix? 

How exactly? I want details.

Branko2166 said:
walsufnir said:

We'll see ;) Everyone tries to establish a streaming platform by now. Sony started with Qriocity which has been renamed AFAIR, MS also tries to establish streaming via Xbox. Then there is netflix which eats a lot of the whole traffic generated in US. BBC in UK, Lovefilm, Maxdome and others in Germany. In my opinion it will all end in monthly fees and watching-flatrates.

There will always be people who prefer physical copies and I don't want to block optical media but it just isn't needed anymore (for me). I have a good internet connection, most people I know also. We will see how it turns out but I make a bet: Bluray will be the last optical disc format designed for mass market.

Thanks for the reply :)

By the way I also edited my post and added a couple of questions for you.

I can see you have a killer internet connection. I have a 100Mb line at home which is pretty fast for Australian standards. Seeing as how you're from Germany I can see how the infrastructure would be great in your country. I'm just saying that outside of a few nations including yours it doesn't seem viable for the majority of internet users to go digital only.

Wait? Isn't Australia working on a super fast Fiber Optic backbone across the country?  Nice thing about glass fiber, is you can easily upgrade it by the computers on the end.  You don't have to lay new cable. 

I used to play Warcraft with my Aussie friends, and while giant cables are going around the globe.  It all seemed rather fine - and that was a couple years ago on copper wire.

I think in many ways, we have already passed the point where streaming better for most than a physical disc.  The new H.265 standard will require HALF of the bandwith for a 1080p singal than what we use today - and that should be hitting devices in the fall.  So instead of 15mb/s for 3D 1080p streaming, you would only need 7.5 - and that's for 3D that the PS3 can't even do!

In the states, we have on average, a rather low high connection speed.  Yet, Google Fiber is 1 GB/s  So it could do 4K 3D streaming while it was sleeping.  Granted it is only in a tiny market, but I think we will see much faster speeds become more common. 

Plus, right now Sony is the only major company touting a 4K player (Yes, I know Youtube can do 4K - but they don't have a 4K player), and it is all digtal streaming/downloading.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:

MS pushed streaming media on televisions simply by bringing streaming apps to the Xbox. One of the most popular TV devices capable of streaming media. That certainly motivated Sony and Nintendo to get apps as well.

I'm not implying MS deserves all the credit. But you're giving them less credit than they deserve.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:

MS pushed streaming media on televisions simply by bringing streaming apps to the Xbox. One of the most popular TV devices capable of streaming media. That certainly motivated Sony and Nintendo to get apps as well.

I'm not implying MS deserves all the credit. But you're giving them less credit than they deserve.

You do realize that streaming services were getting popular without the Xbox 360 right? Netflix was looking to expand its userbase, so it turned to console makers. 360 got a 1-year timed-exclusive on the Netflix app then PS3 got support, then Wii. PS3 got Hulu Plus first before all the other consoles and it also got Amazon Instant Video. My point? Just because you get something first, doesn't mean you pioneered it.

The whole streaming vs Blu-Ray argument is ridiculous and non-existant. When did the 360 get the Netflix app? That was in 2010. 5 years after launch. The 360 already  has DVD support so it could already play any movie, streaming services were not thought up by Microsoft to combat Blu-Ray 5-years after launch lmfao. Its just something that they naturally supported as part of the digital revolution.

VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You do realize that streaming services were getting popular without the Xbox 360 right? Netflix was looking to expand its userbase, so it turned to console makers. 360 got a 1-year timed-exclusive on the Netflix app then PS3 got support, then Wii. PS3 got Hulu Plus first before all the other consoles and it also got Amazon Instant Video. My point? Just because you get something first, doesn't mean you pioneered it.

All these movie/tv apps already existed. Microsoft didn't push for these apps to get made, they pushed to get them on their console.

MS didn't just get it first. They've pushed and marketed it. The 360 also offers the most options. More options means more content that appeals to more people. Thus helping the push towards digital streaming.

And once again, I didn't say MS "pioneered it." I said they helped push it but you're giving them less credit than they deserve.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:

All these movie/tv apps already existed. Microsoft didn't push for these apps to get made, they pushed to get them on their console.

MS didn't just get it first. They've pushed and marketed it. The 360 also offers the most options. More options means more content that appeals to more people. Thus helping the push towards digital streaming.

And once again, I didn't say MS "pioneered it." I said they helped push it but you're giving them less credit than they deserve.

How is that relevant though? You make it sound like streaming is Microsofts answer to their lack of Blu-Ray. It's really not.

VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:

How is that relevant though? You make it sound like streaming is Microsofts answer to their lack of Blu-Ray. It's really not.

How is it relevant? You said MS had nothing to do with the streaming and digital revolution. To the contrary, MS really pushed streaming media and digital downloads to the masses via the Xbox. Not just on a PC, but on televisions.

Streaming was an answer to the lack of Bluray. Last I checked digital downloads and streaming media is growing while physical media is declining.

For the next Xbox, MS will use Bluray because its dirt cheap and has become the standard. But they don't really need its ability to play movies, that's just a bonus.

Recently Completed