By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would PS3 use Blu-Ray if format war didnt happen?

Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:
VGKing said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Did you read what I said? I don't even know what you're babbling about.

MS helped push streming on televisions. This is a fact.

How exactly? I want details.

MS pushed streaming media on televisions simply by bringing streaming apps to the Xbox. One of the most popular TV devices capable of streaming media. That certainly motivated Sony and Nintendo to get apps as well.

I'm not implying MS deserves all the credit. But you're giving them less credit than they deserve.

You do realize that streaming services were getting popular without the Xbox 360 right? Netflix was looking to expand its userbase, so it turned to console makers. 360 got a 1-year timed-exclusive on the Netflix app then PS3 got support, then Wii. PS3 got Hulu Plus first before all the other consoles and it also got Amazon Instant Video. My point? Just because you get something first, doesn't mean you pioneered it.

All these movie/tv apps already existed. Microsoft didn't push for these apps to get made, they pushed to get them on their console.

MS didn't just get it first. They've pushed and marketed it. The 360 also offers the most options. More options means more content that appeals to more people. Thus helping the push towards digital streaming.

And once again, I didn't say MS "pioneered it." I said they helped push it but you're giving them less credit than they deserve.

How is that relevant though? You make it sound like streaming is Microsofts answer to their lack of Blu-Ray. It's really not.

How is it relevant? You said MS had nothing to do with the streaming and digital revolution. To the contrary, MS really pushed streaming media and digital downloads to the masses via the Xbox. Not just on a PC, but on televisions.

Streaming was an answer to the lack of Bluray. Last I checked digital downloads and streaming media is growing while physical media is declining.

For the next Xbox, MS will use Bluray because its dirt cheap and has become the standard. But they don't really need its ability to play movies, that's just a bonus.

EVERYONE IS PUSHING STREAMING TECHNOLOGY.

Streaming tech literrally has nothing to do with the Xbox 360s lack of Blu-Ray. If that was the case then why does the PS3 have so many streaming options as well?

Streaming is streaming. It is an alternative to DVD/Blu-Ray. It is a way to watch movies on your tablets and phones which don't have optical drives. It is a way to watch a movie without having to go out and rent/purchase it. 

Not everything is related to the console wars. You are grasping at straws here.

Around the Network
VGKing said:

EVERYONE IS PUSHING STREAMING TECHNOLOGY.

Is everyone pushing streaming technology as much as MS on TVs? I say no.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Blu-Ray was a good option. The problem with the PS3 was the CELL and the architecture.