By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 made the greatest comeback ever.

Tagged games:

PS3 made the greatest comeback ever

Agree 471 71.04%

Disagree 192 28.96%

Total:663
Viktor said:

If we talk about videogames the greatest comeback had Nintendo with Wii coming from GC. Also after all the doom and gloom about 3DS in its first year they had a bigger comeback, it already outsold PS3 in Japan and in 2 years it already sold nearly half of what PS3 did in 7 years. So I disagree, especially considering that 3rd parties heavily supported the PS3 from the get go and got saved by X360 beeing its "twin" if not the software situation would have looked different in the first years.

Excellent points and wow I forgot all about the massive doom surrounding the 3DS when it launched. Also, if WiiU ever picks up, it can easily take this title of greatest comeback from the Wii and 3DS.

Around the Network

I agree. Sony really did future-proof the console.

PS3 is still 3rd place. To be a comeback it has to actually .... come back.

Seven years on market and its narrowed a 360 gap from about 7m to about 1m now.
Seven years on market and its narrowed a Wii gap from a peak of about 36m to 25m; 2007 (10m), 2008 (24m), 2009 (33m), 2010 (36m), 2011 (33m), 2012 (28/m).

So a console that was almost identical the PS3 gained less than 1m each year and a console that was 20x lower in power with NONE of the 3rd party AAA titles, PS3 only started to narrow the gap once that console effectively lost all support and is now replaced.

I don't consider that a comeback of anything. PS3 has always sold slightly more than 360 when you align launches and it'll never catch Wii. I guess if it takes 2nd eventually, you can call it a come back to 2nd place.

I don't see how people are comparing a gen to gen comeback to a within one gen comeback. Yes GC to Wii is impressive but it's in a whole nother category to me. This comeback was about turning a single console from a laughing stock to the most acclaimed one of the gen. The one I see a lot of people who hated Sony early in the gen now waiting for a price drop to pick up. The one that destroyed and then rebuilt the Playstation image in a few short years. 3DS is the only comparable thing I've seen and I don't think it was ever that bad off to begin with people were just comparing it to the DS numbers in its prime. If Vita can get to 60m or above I think it'll dethrone PS3 as the best comeback. Another thing is people seem to think that PS3 has to be first to consider this a comeback or somehow become really profitable. I don't think that's the case. We're on a sales site. For one I think it will pass Wii eventually (2017 or so) but I also think it will be a comeback if a console that no one saw living for very long passes 90m considering that's not much worse than what PS1 did when it dominated the market. It's only bad if you compare it to the astronomical numbers and market share of its predecessors. I guess Sony just has a higher standard so PS3 looks worse.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Did some people read the post? No cares about who sold most, or who made money on what. THat does not have any bearing on anyone here. THe OP is talking games, content etc. THe stuff that really matters. And yes it was a comeback, had this been Sega machine it would have been cut down years ago. 32x Saturn(outside of Japan), DC. THe PS3 was kinda crap when it came out, too expensive. crap online, subpar support(yes it got multiplats but alot ran like crap), not great 1st party. It has only gotten better, online is good, its STILL getting support from 1st and 3rd party, a hell of a lot more i can say for the market leader that actually got worst as time went on.

And LOL at anyone saying Ninty, we are talking CONSOLES not COMPANIES, lets work on a reading comprehension.

Around the Network

Sorry Sony guys, if you wanted a completely singular, circumscribed discussion to where PS3 is really the only applicable machine, then the OP should have pointed that out.

Of course, 3DS would still win.

superchunk said:

Seven years on market and its narrowed a Wii gap from a peak of about 36m to 25m; 2007 (10m), 2008 (24m), 2009 (33m), 2010 (36m), 2011 (33m), 2012 (28/m).

So a console that was almost identical the PS3 gained less than 1m each year and a console that was 20x lower in power with NONE of the 3rd party AAA titles, PS3 only started to narrow the gap once that console effectively lost all support and is now replaced.

I don't consider that a comeback of anything. PS3 has always sold slightly more than 360 when you align launches and it'll never catch Wii. I guess if it takes 2nd eventually, you can call it a come back to 2nd place.

Very much this.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

brendude13 said:
I don't think people understand what the OP is trying to say, either that or they are intentionally ignoring it. He meant the sales comeback of a single console only, not the financial comeback of a company.

It is quite surprising to see the PS3 selling so well after how things were in 2007. 3DS could be compared to it but its poor start didn't last nearly as long.

No I believe people do understand what the OP is talking about and people responding is saying you cannot dismiss the Money Sony had pay in order to come back.  You cannot dismiss Sony going into the red while their competition has stayed in the green.  You cannot dismiss that Sony lost a major market like the US to both their competition.  If it takes 7 years for you to almost catch your competition while you are about to release your next product, then people are defining a comeback in narrow terms.  As a product, that cost you th profits for your first and second gen product, do anybody think SONY believe this is a win.

If the OP would have stated that Sony as a business, making smart decisions to prepare their next console on some good moves and smart choices I will definitely agree.  Because of the competition, Sony had to rethink their business and how they do business.  They have take the strenghts of their competitors and made them strengths of their own while also bring some good features to their services like Plus.  Sony mentality on Indie developers have changed and their thought process on giving the people who will make you successful (Developers) have changed.  Sony as a company I would say made a great comeback.

The PS3, well like some one said, If Sony is willing to pay billions of dollars to gain 2nd place, I am sure MS and Nintendo is more than willing to let Sony do that again.  The winners are still Nintendo and MS.  MS turend around and became a national powerhouse, and Nintendo reclaimed heir crown.

This Gen everything starts over again and it appears before MS even get their product on the market, Sony fans are already proclaiming a win when this generation hasn't begun.  This will not be a sprint but a marathon and all parties are pretty much starting at the same time.

Where was it stated that Vita was being sold for a profit at $250?

Well they cut the price now so they should be selling at a loss.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

superchunk said:

Why are you comparing it to the Wii?  I really don't think Wii sales affected those of the PS3 or the 360, they're not really competitors as they are going for completely different markets.

Yes, PS3 is still in 3rd place, but I don't think that matters. Ignoring the fact that its about to take 2nd place, it is roughly on par with the 360 in sales. This is an amazing feat considering it launched a year later, at a higher price, with poor launch games and weak online infrastructure. PS3 really was the underdog this gen and it has overcome so much. Sony did an excellent job at making sure the console didn't become a failure.