By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grandia: How a forgotten JRPG solved the problem of repetitive combat

Tagged games:

Simulacrum said:
lestatdark said:
Simulacrum said:
I played Grandia 1 again trough few months ago.
Best
Game
Ever.

Need to replay it myself .

Did you take the time to learn Feena's Time Gate? While it takes forever to get, it's basically a permanent win move .

Of course not lol.

It's a shame that such an amazing spell is almost impossible to get by normal means. Even using the Ethereal Miracle + Zil Desert + Runner cast trick, it could take you hours.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

Grandia is one of my favorite RPG series, and i know im not the only one in the west. Grandia 1 and 2 are instant classics. Grandia 3 had great gameplay but fell into a jeneric JRPG plot and characters. Xtreme was a dungeon crawler with little story aswell.

End result: I dont know why they stopped doing them. Maybe the budget for 3 went overboard, but i do think this series is worth carrying on. It has the best combat system ever seen in an RPG and its a shame to see it go like this.

The LotR RPG uses a similar system. Skills have a different set of "EXP" (Down to each category of skills, e.g "Black Magic" and "White Magic" don't level together) than the "Level Up" EXP. This made the combats even more annoying since you HAD to farm random encounters over and over again, having to sink in massive amounts of time and the respective points to use the skill to level your skills up. Ugh...

007BondAgent said:
wait! grandia was a jrpg? i seriously thought it was western approach to jrpg's

Japanese's style... Japanese's developer... time-exclusive in Japan for Saturn (before all others versions)... well a classic JRPG.

I've heard about this franchise, but i never got around to trying it.

On that note, I am replaying one of my favorite RPGs, Final Fantasy XII. I just got it from amazon last week and I'm planning to actually finish it this time, since the first time i played it, i borrowed it from my cousin and he took it back without me finishing it.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

My all time favorite JRPG series. The Grandia series was an absolute joy to dump hours into playing. The best combat system ever devised and staggering that a sequel or even spiritual successor has not come along.

I would buy ANY system that has Grandia IV or even an HD remake of previous entry. It was so far ahead of its time that even in 2013 going back and playing it feels fresh to me. My favorite is Grandia II and rare game I would give a flawless rating to, I suggest anyone who enjoys JRPGs to play it.

Nem said:
Grandia is one of my favorite RPG series, and i know im not the only one in the west. Grandia 1 and 2 are instant classics. Grandia 3 had great gameplay but fell into a jeneric JRPG plot and characters. Xtreme was a dungeon crawler with little story aswell.

End result: I dont know why they stopped doing them. Maybe the budget for 3 went overboard, but i do think this series is worth carrying on. It has the best combat system ever seen in an RPG and its a shame to see it go like this.

get outta here tbh

Teo said:
Nem said:

get outta here tbh

Am i gonna have to report the grammar police again? If you have a problem with it and wish to correct me, feel free to send me a proper PM with what you think is wrong and i will fix it. If you're gonna spout cryptic off-topic nonsense, dont post at all. I couldnt care less what you think of my writing.

This is a video-game forum, not an english literature one. We debate games here, we dont debate pretty writing.

If you have an opinion on the topic or the debate bring it forth. If not, maybe you should get outta here "tbh".

Thank you for writting an article about Grandia

You can visit this blog for Zero no Kiseki and Sen no Kiseki guide

http://wajinokiseki.blogspot.be/

Nem said:

R I P   Takeshi Miyaji   .  I miss you

You can visit this blog for Zero no Kiseki and Sen no Kiseki guide

http://wajinokiseki.blogspot.be/