By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grandia: How a forgotten JRPG solved the problem of repetitive combat

Tagged games:

The first thing I noticed about the battle system that I liked was you could avoid monsters on the field I also remember not upgrading Roan's hammer in grandia 2 because of it's knocked back feature .

Some of the things I didn't like so much with the first game was the fact that Justin was 15 and there you where at the beginning playing games like a six year old , another was the handling of the winged girls I was looking forward to having them involved in the story as characters in their own right but alas that didn't happen , still the first game rates as one of the best jrpg's for both the Saturn and the PS1 and the second game is in my opinion one of the three best jrpg's on Dreamcast so what more could you want.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Grandia Xtreme has the best combat in the series, but everything else is a piece of $hit.

Did anyone get Feena's final move on Grandia 1. The move which required 99 Ice level and 99 Water level. What did it do?

That was the only move I missed.

I remember the Tower of Temptation. One of the best side areas in the game, truly amazing game.

Heavenly_King said:
Grandia Xtreme has the best combat in the series, but everything else is a piece of $hit.

Pretty much.

Grandia 2 still has the best story, characters, and soundtrack. 

Grandia 1 is second for me.

I hope SE and GungHo. can reach some arrangement for Game Arts to create Grandia 4, on the PS4/nextbox. If my Drakengard dream is coming true why not this one?

Teo said:
Heavenly_King said:

Pretty much.

I hope SE and GungHo. can reach some arrangement for Game Arts to create Grandia 4, on the PS4/nextbox. If my Drakengard dream is coming true why not this one?

Well, Grandia 3 was also kind of bad.   Not "grandia Xtreme bad" but still, Grandia 1 and 2 are 100x better.   Hopefully, if they manage to make a Grandia 4, they will take quotes from Grandia 1-2 and ignore the other games completely.

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
Teo said:
Heavenly_King said:

Pretty much.

Well, Grandia 3 was also kind of bad.   Not "grandia Xtreme bad" but still, Grandia 1 and 2 are 100x better.   Hopefully, if they manage to make a Grandia 4, they will take quotes from Grandia 1-2 and ignore the other games completely.

I think Grandia 3 is worse than Xtreme, although I do like the addition of air combos and world map travel. It will be its contribution to the series. The story was just not that interesting and it was super corny. The soundtrack in Xtreme was also way better, especially the battle theme. 

My favorite Grandia character will always be Lutina from Xtreme. Her voice, her moves, are all amazing. 

I played Grandia 1 again trough few months ago.
Best
Game
Ever.

Take my love, take my land..

Simulacrum said:
Best
Game
Ever.

Need to replay it myself .

Did you take the time to learn Feena's Time Gate? While it takes forever to get, it's basically a permanent win move .

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

wait! grandia was a jrpg? i seriously thought it was western approach to jrpg's

lestatdark said:
Simulacrum said:
Best
Game
Ever.

Need to replay it myself .

Did you take the time to learn Feena's Time Gate? While it takes forever to get, it's basically a permanent win move .

Of course not lol.

Take my love, take my land..