By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 Developers Have Access to 7 GB RAM (Rumor)

PS4 will get long load time or not ? I was sure no, but ..

Around the Network
KingofTrolls said:

From Sony words... little to no load time and instant play games (no boot if you power off the PS4 with the disc in the tray).

ethomaz said:
KingofTrolls said:

From Sony words... little to no load time and instant play games (no boot if you power off the PS4 with the disc in the tray).

Sony said the PS3 will ever have full HD at 120 FPS. I see that you are very knowledgeable on the subject so tell the truth directly. The bitter truth better than sweet lies.

ethomaz said:

PS4 uses a 6x BD drive... and with 7GB available the developer can use the RAM to decrease the load time instead the HDD.

It's clear to me, you obviously have no idea what Ram is or what it even does.

Ram is a just a big fat large cache, it has no processing capabilities to accellerate anything, it's just a chip that holds information, like an SSD or a USB Flash Drive, just magnitudes faster and it cannot permanantly store data.

You know what those load times even are? It's the length of time it takes for the console to grab data from the Disc or Hard Drive and send them to Ram.
You could have 1024 Terabytes of GDDR10 Ram with 1000438475 GB/s of bandwidth, it will *not* make one ounce of difference if it has to wait for data to be retrived from the the Hard Drive or Optical Drive.
Hence the "tricks" that developers can employ to boost transfer rates with placing data on optimal parts of the disc and using compression, but I said that in my prior post anyway, so no need to repeat myself.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

It's clear to me, you obviously have no idea what Ram is or what it even does.

Ram is a just a big fat large cache, it has no processing capabilities to accellerate anything, it's just a chip that holds information, like an SSD or a USB Flash Drive, just magnitudes faster and it cannot permanantly store data.

You know what those load times even are? It's the length of time it takes for the console to grab data from the Disc or Hard Drive and send them to Ram.
You could have 1024 Terabytes of GDDR10 Ram with 1000438475 GB/s of bandwidth, it will *not* make one ounce of difference if it has to wait for data to be retrived from the the Hard Drive or Optical Drive.
Hence the "tricks" that developers can employ to boost transfer rates with placing data on optimal parts of the disc and using compression, but I said that in my prior post anyway, so no need to repeat myself.

I will make the things more clear to you.

The biggest problem with PS3 is the BD is slower than HDD... so the load is better when you sent the data from HDD to RAM... PS4 didn't have this problem... the DB player is fast than any mechanical HDD... so the devs will never use the HDD to cache the data before sent to RAM.

Mora RAM means the devs can load more data from BD to RAM while you are playing the game... with few amount of the RAM you always works with the RAM alreay full and have to discard data before to load the new one (loadtime).

Now with a lot of RAM you have the choose to load the data to the RAM way before to use it... I meam you can use 1GB of RAM just to load future data to avoid loading times.

In any case in PS4 the devs will never use the HDD over the BD player... the BD is fast... and there are RAM enought to make cache... that can change if PS4 uses SSD but I don't believe that.

A good tech to avoid load times using the RAM... while playing the old map already start to load the new map to RAM.... with a lot of RAM you will always have more future data already loaded in the RAM.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Wow, think of the games they could make with 7 GB of RAM.

lol... same games they would have made with 3GB avail?

Yeah they should have just went with 2GB, right? 

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

KingofTrolls said:

we will see once it releases

I'm fairly optimistic myself in that regard, but I won't claim to know any more about that

ethomaz said:

I will make the things more clear to you.

The biggest problem with PS3 is the BD is slower than HDD... so the load is better when you sent the data from HDD to RAM... PS4 didn't have this problem... the DB player is fast than any mechanical HDD... so the devs will never use the HDD to cache the data before sent to RAM.

Mora RAM means the devs can load more data from BD to RAM while you are playing the game... with few amount of the RAM you always works with the RAM alreay full and have to discard data before to load the new one (loadtime).

Now with a lot of RAM you have the choose to load the data to the RAM way before to use it... I meam you can use 1GB of RAM just to load future data to avoid loading times.

In any case in PS4 the devs will never use the HDD over the BD player... the BD is fast... and there are RAM enought to make cache... that can change if PS4 uses SSD but I don't believe that.

A good tech to avoid load times using the RAM... while playing the old map already start to load the new map to RAM.... with a lot of RAM you will always have more future data already loaded in the RAM.

The PS4 Optical drive is not faster than any mechanical hard drive, you have 10,000 RPM drives which are stupidly fast, some even paired up with high-speed flash memory.
And it certainly doesn't have an edge in access times either, have lots of small files? Those transfer rates will plummet.

As for not caching to the Hard drive? Well. That would be a silly move, installing a game to the hard drive means they can access BOTH the Hard Drive and Optical Drive in tandem, Optical Drives are actually pretty good at doing sequential reads, not so much on random reads which the Hard Drive is actually very good at and SSD's are perfect at, being able to stream from BOTH at the same time would be a wise move, which for some titles the PS3 even does.

Yes I'm also aware of the "Streaming" technology.
But you also need to load up the initial world with all it's dependancies before streaming can begin, I.E. Expect to wait, then successive loads will be much shorter, then you will get "pop in" where blurry textures suddenly become sharp... etc'.
Then after a couple of years after the consoles release developers will probably start hitting a memory wall and they will not be able to cache the next level whilst the player is playing the current level, that's the nature of static hardware and people wanting better graphics unfortunatly, something has to give and Load times will be the first to go unless developers perform some tricks like I outlined prior and then some.

But please. Don't claim that BD is "super" fast, it really isn't. It's good for some things like sequential reads, but you would be dreaming if you think it can compete with a Hard Drive.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

NobleTeam360 said:
Wow, think of the games they could make with 7 GB of RAM.

open world games that don't load when you enter a house

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

7GB is alot for game development. It ensures future proofing in regard to RAM.

I would have guessed 6GB were for developers and 2GB would be aside for the OS.

Also, I hope they have enough aside for the OS, that way they can actually release new versions of the OS (or overhauls) eventually if the OS gets too stale and is unable to improve through simple updating.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)