By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - More Details on Always-Online Xbox Revealed

VGKing said:
twesterm said:
Ugh, when are people going to stop spreading this rumor? It's a rumor and people supposedly having a Durango have said it does and other have said it doesn't.

It's a rumor. It's pointless to bicker or speculate about it. No, we don't know. Yes, nobody likes always-on.

To my knowledge, no one has denied this rumor. Referring back to the Kotaku article: http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456

"That said, a caution and a caveat: other sources familiar with the codenamed Durango console have told us that they are still unaware of any Microsoft plans regarding an online requirement. No one has been able to say it's not true and some have speculated that this is required at the operating system level and therefore isn't something Microsoft has to tell all developers or retail partners. Microsoft also has the ability to change this type of requirement seemingly at a moment's notice through changes in firmware or networking infrastructure."

other sources familiar with the codenamed Durango console have told us that they are still unaware of any Microsoft plans regarding an online requirement.

other sources familiar with the codenamed Durango console have told us that they are still unaware of any Microsoft plans regarding an online requirement.

They're unaware because they're not there for them.  It could be because they don't have them yet, it could be because they're making stuff up, or it could be because they don't exist.

Again-- We.  Do.  Not.  Know.

Around the Network

How nice of them to put that little disclaimer in about other sources not having any idea about it and the notion that hey, maybe MS can just completely change it on a whim!

Talking about throwing some **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. So basically Kotaku or whatever have their butts covered either way. If it has always-on DRM, then hey, "we told you so!". If it doesn't, then hey, "we told you they could just flip a switch and shut it off!".

People can say where there is smoke there is fire but an equally large rumor for the console has been a block on used games and apparently that isn't real because Gamestop recently gushed about the system.

That is good news.

All my devices are "always on" any way. If there is a company that can do this is Microsoft.

This wouldn't personally affect me (at least not most of the time). However, a design choice like this is just not a smart thing unless they bundle internet with every console (which is frankly absurd). I know plenty of people who play offline so they wouldn't be able to get the next Xbox. And it would essentially be only semi-viable in first world countries.

As of right now though I still won't be putting too much faith into this rumor. Especially when the plethora of no used games rumors pretty much turned out to be false (via Gamestop's article).

So...hear me out....

What if Microsoft truly is in bed with EA and this is the result of them integrating Origin to some extent? If Nintendo wouldn't let them, why wouldn't they try to do so with another company? Microsoft has a history of moneyhatting studios to gain exclusive stuff after all. With Activision seemingly jumping ship to Sony, MS went to their competitor to keep a "top tier FPS" in their camp. MS will get exclusive/early content that will "draw players to their system" and EA gets server help, DRM to prevent piracy and a buttload of money.

Now, I don't think that is what is actually happening, it was merely a thought that occurred to me and it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility. Pure conversation starter really. I honestly hope MS doesn't have mandatory online....no good can come from it and the competition will run all over them.

I don't see why Microsoft let's rumors like this damage their reputation. It would be simple to just come out and say, "This isn't happening. Our next console will not require an online connection in order to play games. We have nothing more to announce at this time." It would actually build hype for their reveal (whenever that is) and would be some damage control. Instead, they lets things like this come out without so much as a "We don't comment on rumors and speculation." which even then is seen more as a confirmation than a denial.

When PS4 rumors like this were heating up, Sony said "screw it" to their plans of letting MS go first and revealed their console (kind of) and (mostly) ended the damaging rumors. There are still a lot of unknowns, vague comments about used games, and subscription charges....but the hype train has mostly overshadowed them.

Around the Network

I hope this isn't true.

As a Playstation princess, I sincerely hope not because whatever Microsoft does, Sony copies sooner rather than later.

RicardJulianti said:
So...hear me out....

What if Microsoft truly is in bed with EA and this is the result of them integrating Origin to some extent? If Nintendo wouldn't let them, why wouldn't they try to do so with another company? Microsoft has a history of moneyhatting studios to gain exclusive stuff after all. With Activision seemingly jumping ship to Sony, MS went to their competitor to keep a "top tier FPS" in their camp. MS will get exclusive/early content that will "draw players to their system" and EA gets server help, DRM to prevent piracy and a buttload of money.

Now, I don't think that is what is actually happening, it was merely a thought that occurred to me and it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility. Pure conversation starter really. I honestly hope MS doesn't have mandatory online....no good can come from it and the competition will run all over them.

I don't see why Microsoft let's rumors like this damage their reputation. It would be simple to just come out and say, "This isn't happening. Our next console will not require an online connection in order to play games. We have nothing more to announce at this time." It would actually build hype for their reveal (whenever that is) and would be some damage control. Instead, they lets things like this come out without so much as a "We don't comment on rumors and speculation." which even then is seen more as a confirmation than a denial.

When PS4 rumors like this were heating up, Sony said "screw it" to their plans of letting MS go first and revealed their console (kind of) and (mostly) ended the damaging rumors. There are still a lot of unknowns, vague comments about used games, and subscription charges....but the hype train has mostly overshadowed them.

Really interesting theory there, could be possible if EA gives microsoft a timed exclusive to fifa for 2-3 months, seriously, that could increase the sales of the Nextbox in europe ALOT but i doubt that would happen

Bradford City Fan for life

Recent favourite games: Ni No Kuni, Fifa 13, Batman Arkham City

Best games of all time: Pokemon Red, Dragon Warrior 3, The last of us, Uncharted 2 and 3

3ds friend code add me: 1950-8131-6814

PSN ID: Mr_Vezzo_Khanny - add to start a clan in the last of us mutiplayer

If Microsoft, when they finally draw the curtain back on their new console, officially contradicts every single one of these rumors, I'm going to laugh. Hard.

And if they officially confirm them, I'm going to laugh. HARDER.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.