YES remove the Corn Subsidy 5 6.02%

YES regulate salt content of food 2 2.41%

YES other reasons/combination of above 4 4.82%

Maybe, Unsure 2 2.41%

NO WAY!!!!! 39 46.99%

See Results 5 6.02%

Total:83
Michael-5 said:

In the case of pop, there shouldn't be salt in pop.... I'm not saying you should drink pop, I'm just saying pop should be better for you, we don't need corporations making us thirstier with pop.

I agree. We should also get rid of the alcohol in alcoholic beverages. Why, you might ask? Because the corporations are clearly adding the alcohol so we consume more alcoholic beverages (after all, after each one I have, I want another one even more).

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
No ban on junk food. What needs to be done is to make junk food a more expensive option in comparison to healthy food. A junk food tax would be a good policy decision. If taxes are applied to make cigarettes and alcohol to make them more expensive, the same can be done with junk food.

Junk food is actually already incredibly expensive compared to healthy food. Most fruit and vegetables you can get for about $1/pound (or less, certain, such as "premium" apples cost more). You can buy a ridiculous amount of rice for $20. Pasta is very cheap.

On the contrary, sauces and junk foods etc, I always used a $3/pound general rule when purchasing (I would buy the junk food I wanted if it was under $3 per pound, and wouldn't if it was over).

Baalzamon said:
Michael-5 said:

Plus you don't have that much control of what you eat, if every pop and fast food producer adds salt to their drinks to keep you thirsty, how can you avoid that? Are you going to import your pop from Europe at an expensive cost, or make your own pop at home?

This is a joke, right?

You have ALL the control over what you eat, considering you don't need to drink pop (I rarely do), and you don't need to eat fast food (I rarely do).

But if you want to have pop and fast food, you're f***ed right?

I don't drink pop because it's bad for you, but if they took out most of the sugar and salt, it would be no worse for you then tea. Then I'd drink pop all the time. Hence a band would be nice.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

What the heck is a PSS?

I know pop has anywhere between 40-90mg of Na per 335ml (12 oz) can. You need 1,500mg of salt a day, so a pop can ranges from 2-4.5% of your salt intake. Salt-Water is 3.5% salt. Pop has anywhere from half to nearly one and a half times the salt of saltwater.

Can you live on saltwater? No.

Random google searches tell me that the Human salinity is 0.9%, meaning any liquid with more then 0.9% salt will make you thirstier.

A simple google search will also reveal a mL of water is 1000mg. So if you have 3.5% salt, that means there is 35mg of salt in every mL of water.

So you are saying that there is 40-90mg of salt in a 335mL can of pop, and that is somehow more than the 11,725 mg of salt that would be in a 335mL can of saltwater?

Michael-5 said:
Baalzamon said:
Michael-5 said:

Plus you don't have that much control of what you eat, if every pop and fast food producer adds salt to their drinks to keep you thirsty, how can you avoid that? Are you going to import your pop from Europe at an expensive cost, or make your own pop at home?

This is a joke, right?

You have ALL the control over what you eat, considering you don't need to drink pop (I rarely do), and you don't need to eat fast food (I rarely do).

I don't drink pop because it's bad for you, but if they took out most of the sugar and salt, it would be no worse for you then tea. Then I'd drink pop all the time. Hence a band would be nice.

No, if you want to have pop or fast food, that is totally your choice. It is your choice if you want to have things that are terribly bad for you vs. making something much healthier at home.

There are TONS of choices available out there for foods that are perfectly healthy for you. There are also TONS of choices available for foods that aren't healthy (but may well taste good). Just because the unhealthy foods are something you want doesn't mean they should be forced to be healthy. That makes no sense.

Around the Network

Also, the maximum recommended sodium in your diet is 2300mg per day (http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09354.html)

As such, a pop with 50mg of salt is only taking up 2.1% of your daily level of salt. That is like...nothing.

What is REALLY going to make you ponder something now, is that the average glass of milk has about 120mg of salt in it, which is 5.2% the maximum daily recommend amount.

So are you also saying we should have people remove all the salt from milk?

Michael-5 said:
Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:

So I talked to 3 separate doctors about salt reducing heart disease and they all looked at me like I was crazy. They told me, what I told you, that salt increased blood pressure by diluting the blood with water. This makes the heart work harder on a daily basis, and makes it more prone to Heart Failure, and Heart Disease.

If you want to reduce youy odds of heart disease, jog.

Also, just something I learned from a few courses I've taken in environmental science. Don't believe news articles online, especially when they don't site the original journal article (like your links). News agency's often twist the truth. Heck I just asked for a 3 day ban because I had to finish a few assignments, one was a media critique. The article I found, sourced the original articles, and comepletly twisted it around. The article was about how Global Warming Models are becoming really accurate, and the news article was about how they were completly wrong, and global warming is a hoax. Plus in the comments section of his article, half the people believed him.

My advice, if you don't believe me, is to go to your doctor and ask. Go to multiple doctors if you have to, or a nutritionist. Nutritionists especially are responsible for knowing up to date values for nutrients, and doctors know quite a bit too.

If you want to read up on this stuff yourself though, don't read it on news articles. Go to a Medical Journal and look up actual research. Don't take someone else word for it.

-----

So I'm going to end this with the US, and Canadian Medical Accociations both recommend a diet of 1,500mg of salt a day. I'll believe them over any news article. I think it's you who believe in the wives tale told in the news atm.

All you need to know how to do is read a scinetific report.  It all checks out.

I'll look into Medical Journals in Canada to finish this debate later. However I did just talk to 3 Doctors, and some medical staff where I work (I work as a secretary at a General Practitioners office, however it's a big place). I think they are less likely to be convinced by "wives tales" then you would be.

If you could show me a journal from either USA's or Canada's Medical association (not a press release, the actual Journal, from a database), then I would give your stance a second thought.

Actually, you know what, I just took 5 minutes to look for a Medical Journal Article, and I immediatly found one which devalidates your claims.

I... feel like you don't know much about how science works.

That article is filled with a lot of problems.

For example the study they are saying proves it's wrong doesn't actually account for dietary differences other then salt intake.

Salt is put on unhealthier foods.  So if you don't account for dietary differences in food, and just differences in salt intake... of course you would get those results.

Michael-5 said:
Baalzamon said:
Michael-5 said:

This is a joke, right?

Most people wouldn't drink pop then though... because it would taste awful.  (well unless it had fake sugar... which, is also suggested to have negative health effects.)

If there as a market for soda without much sugar and salt....

that soda would be out there.

The market provides the products that people want.

There aren't very many healthy or vegetarian fast food chains outside a few of the most liberal areas of the US because everybody would rather have a hamburger.

And yeah... they'd rather have a gross ass McDonalds hamburger because it's a ton cheaper then if they had to make a health hamburger.  (May as well eat at a restruant for that price.)

Baalzamon said:
Michael-5 said:

What the heck is a PSS?

I know pop has anywhere between 40-90mg of Na per 335ml (12 oz) can. You need 1,500mg of salt a day, so a pop can ranges from 2-4.5% of your salt intake. Salt-Water is 3.5% salt. Pop has anywhere from half to nearly one and a half times the salt of saltwater.

Can you live on saltwater? No.

Random google searches tell me that the Human salinity is 0.9%, meaning any liquid with more then 0.9% salt will make you thirstier.

A simple google search will also reveal a mL of water is 1000mg. So if you have 3.5% salt, that means there is 35mg of salt in every mL of water.

So you are saying that there is 40-90mg of salt in a 335mL can of pop, and that is somehow more than the 11,725 mg of salt that would be in a 335mL can of saltwater?

Oh I did my math wrong there...

Still, my arguement is still valid, you don't want to be drinking 12-27% of your daily salt intake.

Coke has 75mg of Sodium in it, this is the equivalent of 0.02% salt. Our Blood is 0.6% salt, but it's also only 50.6% water (55% fluid which is 92% water) so the salinity of salt in our blood is 0.01% (0.6/50.6)

While Coke isn't as salt as salt water, it's twice as salty as our blood. Hence pop makes you thirsty

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results