By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Housing! USA vs UK!

Those houses may be a lot more expensive when compared to a comparable sized house in the US but like a lot of people already mentioned they are build a lot better then most houses in the US which are mainly made out of wood, drywall and vinyl siding and cheap roof shingles. Also what matters a lot in real estate is location my maternal grandparents house in Germany is bigger and better then the houses mentioned but only sold for 50,000 Euros since its located in a very rural area if it would have been located in a slightly more popular area it would have easily sold for five times as much or more.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Those houses may be a lot more expensive when compared to a comparable sized house in the US but like a lot of people already mentioned they are build a lot better then most houses in the US which are mainly made out of wood, drywall and vinyl siding and cheap roof shingles. Also what matters a lot in real estate is location my maternal grandparents house in Germany is bigger and better then the houses mentioned but only sold for 50,000 Euros since its located in a very rural area if it would have been located in a slightly more popular area it would have easily sold for five times as much or more.

More expensive building materials doesn't necessarily mean a better built house.  I think you have to remember, you build with what is in abundance, and you build based on the location.

A stick frame house built in the US will last longer than a stone or brick home in the UK in event of an earth quake.  In fact, brick buildings are almost non-existent in high-quake zones.  In fact, reinforced concrete form homes don't exist in the UK, yet they'd provide the strongest building material available and still be cheaper than stone or brick homes.

You don't build a house with an exposed stick frame (wood or vinyl siding) in Florida.  Your house will be devoured by termites.  You don't use vinyl lap siding in high wind areas. 

As for asphalt shingles vs. terra-cotta or slate tile shingles, while the latter two can potentially last longer than asphalt the difference is when you get a wind storm and have one of those shingles break/rip out.  With an asphalt shingle, you lift up the tile above it, remove the old one, then nail in a cut replacement.  With the other two, you higher aa professional who comes out and spends all day to carefully open up the area around the damaged shingle, then replace it and all the other shingles necessary to remove.  And if it happens to be along a lead joint, fuck-all you're paying up the arse to get your roof fixed.

I'm guessing the cost of one repair is roughly the same as replacing an entire asphalt roof after 20 years.   

Basically whole West Europe is pretty expensive compared to USA for the same..

I think that you Americans have to remember that houses built in Europe are real houses, while your houses are built from toothpicks. Also these prices are just sick and I find it hard to believe them. My parents often watch HouseTV which has many shows from UK and when they show the houses and prices they look really very good and are affordable or at least worth the price.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
I think that you Americans have to remember that houses built in Europe are real houses, while your houses are built from toothpicks. Also these prices are just sick and I find it hard to believe them. My parents often watch HouseTV which has many shows from UK and when they show the houses and prices they look really very good and are affordable or at least worth the price.

Belief has nothing to do with it...they're from estate agent sites and you can see that for yourself. 

Around the Network
Mazty said:
Scisca said:

Belief has nothing to do with it...they're from estate agent sites and you can see that for yourself. 

Some people put some crazy prices there, but that doesn't mean that that's what the market looks like. I seriously doubt that what was shown in the OP is the reality in the UK. That surely isn't what the estate agents show in the tv.

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

Netyaroze said:
thranx said:
Netyaroze said:
mrstickball said:
I live in rural Ohio. Those prices are a joke.

I can build a 4,000 square foot mansion for half of those prices.

Here's a 7,000 square foot house in my town for ~$450,000 USD: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/130-Sylvan-Ct_Circleville_OH_43113_M35022-37149?ex=OH549960133

It's been on market for a year because its too expensive. I'm sure those prices may be reasonable in London or somewhere that you have to pay lots of money for things, but where I live, those prices are a joke.

Those prices are no joke. I bet I could easily drive with a truck through this house you posted. 450k ? This house can not be good. Even if you exclude paper thin walls, cheap basic materials, and sucky isolation. Whats the Interior made out of ? Legos ?

A house of that size has 4 kitchens ? 4 Bathrooms. 1 kitchen costs 50k. 1 Bathroom 25k. Does it have a basement ? What are the floors made of, are they heated ?  

Its a huge house but the material costs of our smaller house exceed its price, not even talking about land, location, furniture or the cost of the guys building it. Just bricks floors woodwork glass stones. 

it doesnt say it has four kitchens. from the pictures the house looks nice. It does have a basement. there are pictures and info in the link if you go to it. all of your questions are answered. Probably no heated floors, not very big in america.

Hmm its extremly big but what worries me is the price. It can't be that cheap. I doubt it has the same buildquality as houses around here. Unless americans somehow get raw materials 10 times cheaper. The only way I can make sense of it is if the house is more like a movie prop and less like a house.

We do get materials and labor a lot cheaper. We havea ccess to huge amounts of timber that the UK would have to otherwise import. The same goes for most materials. Plasterboard that is manufacturered in the same place is about 30-40% cheaper in the US.

Do realize that our builders aren't incompetent. Building codes in Florida require all houses to be hurricane-resistant.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Scisca said:
Mazty said:
Scisca said:

Some people put some crazy prices there, but that doesn't mean that that's what the market looks like. I seriously doubt that what was shown in the OP is the reality in the UK. That surely isn't what the estate agents show in the tv.

Dude if you are going to just cry denial find another thread - as I showed the price of one of those houses was the SOLD PRICE. I don't care what you think you see on TV, if you want to debate this go and find prices that prove my OP wrong, k?

mrstickball said:
Netyaroze said:
thranx said:
Netyaroze said:
mrstickball said:
I live in rural Ohio. Those prices are a joke.

I can build a 4,000 square foot mansion for half of those prices.

Here's a 7,000 square foot house in my town for ~$450,000 USD: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/130-Sylvan-Ct_Circleville_OH_43113_M35022-37149?ex=OH549960133

It's been on market for a year because its too expensive. I'm sure those prices may be reasonable in London or somewhere that you have to pay lots of money for things, but where I live, those prices are a joke.

Those prices are no joke. I bet I could easily drive with a truck through this house you posted. 450k ? This house can not be good. Even if you exclude paper thin walls, cheap basic materials, and sucky isolation. Whats the Interior made out of ? Legos ?

A house of that size has 4 kitchens ? 4 Bathrooms. 1 kitchen costs 50k. 1 Bathroom 25k. Does it have a basement ? What are the floors made of, are they heated ?  

Its a huge house but the material costs of our smaller house exceed its price, not even talking about land, location, furniture or the cost of the guys building it. Just bricks floors woodwork glass stones. 

it doesnt say it has four kitchens. from the pictures the house looks nice. It does have a basement. there are pictures and info in the link if you go to it. all of your questions are answered. Probably no heated floors, not very big in america.

Hmm its extremly big but what worries me is the price. It can't be that cheap. I doubt it has the same buildquality as houses around here. Unless americans somehow get raw materials 10 times cheaper. The only way I can make sense of it is if the house is more like a movie prop and less like a house.

We do get materials and labor a lot cheaper. We havea ccess to huge amounts of timber that the UK would have to otherwise import. The same goes for most materials. Plasterboard that is manufacturered in the same place is about 30-40% cheaper in the US.

Do realize that our builders aren't incompetent. Building codes in Florida require all houses to be hurricane-resistant.

That's the thing. Your houses are built from toothpicks and plasterboard, while our houses are built from bricks. This is what my house is built from, with my hand to give you a sense of perspective:

That's why your houses are cheap, from our perspective they are more like shacks than proper houses. I mena, you can just walk through a wall in US! That's absolutely impossible over here (try walking through my wall ;) ), that's why when you come over to us stuff like this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkSM2gwBGBE

:)

Mazty said:
Scisca said:
Mazty said:
Scisca said:

Dude if you are going to just cry denial find another thread - as I showed the price of one of those houses was the SOLD PRICE. I don't care what you think you see on TV, if you want to debate this go and find prices that prove my OP wrong, k?

Dude, take a chill pill, it's not like I'm hurting you or your family right now... When I find some free time I'm gonna take a look into it and show you what I find. As for now just in a minute I found this house on your web site:

http://www.seymours-estates.co.uk/property/norwich/6-bedroom-detached-house-for-sale-in-norwich/full_details_adv4/467507

I don't know about the location, but it's cheaper than what you found and actually looks really nice. I think I could live in such a house :P And it has a pink pool table! Sold ;)